Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

So a little while ago I built a new gaming PC, using an AMD FX-8350 as my CPU. The whole setup has been great, though the fan was insanely loud from day one. After doing some Googling, a ton of people seemed to have the same issue with the stock fan on the 8350. So I replaced the fan and it's still extremely loud. My temperatures seem to be fine, but by CPU fan likes to run at full blast for no reason or under the slightest load. So I took some steps to attempt to help matters...

1. Replaced fan again, this time with a CoolerMaster Hyper212
2. Gave the heatsink a liberal application of Arctic Silver 5
3. Use a tiny bit of sewing machine oil to lubricate each fan in my case
4. Upgraded to a gigantic case with much better airflow

Nothing. Still obnoxiously loud and running full tilt. I also tried adjusting fan settings in my BIOS and with programs like Speedfan or EasyTune6 (I'm running the Gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 motherboard.) I also tried adjusting some things in my computer's power setting, and still no luck. I can run a brand new game on ultra settings or a game from 2006 and the thing maxes out it's speed like my whole computer was going to melt down. But if I check my temps, everything seems to be fine. I've also checked my processes to make sure something isn't putting a strain on my processor - nothing.

I'm at a loss, Goons, please help. Most of what little computer hardware knowledge I have is outdated by years. :saddowns: Let me know if there are any settings I can post to help with solving this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Make sure the CPU fan is connected to the CPU fan header and that fan control is enabled in the BIOS (I think it's under the PC Health section) then you should be able to adjust fan speeds for the CPU fan only using Easytune6. Do confirm that your core temperatures aren't getting too high using a program that actually supports monitoring CPU core temperatures, not just reading an uncalibrated sensor somewhere on the board.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Alereon posted:

Make sure the CPU fan is connected to the CPU fan header and that fan control is enabled in the BIOS (I think it's under the PC Health section) then you should be able to adjust fan speeds for the CPU fan only using Easytune6. Do confirm that your core temperatures aren't getting too high using a program that actually supports monitoring CPU core temperatures, not just reading an uncalibrated sensor somewhere on the board.

I made sure fan control was enabled in my bios and that all was connected properly, and it was, but I'm not having any luck controlling the fan with EasyTune. I could just be using the program wrong (which is a possibility), so I'm going to check out a couple of tutorial videos. In the meantime, what program would you suggest for monitoring temperature of the CPU? I've tried SpeedFan, CoreTemp and Open Hardware Monitor. After playing the new Saints Row for about an hour, all my temperature read from 35-44 Celsius, except on CoreTemp which reads all temps normal, but Temp3 as fluctuating from 49 to 63c.

Edit: Would I be correct in assuming EasyTune has accurate temperature readings? Because now it's saying my GPU is sitting at 38c, my system temp is as 39c, and my CPU is fluctuating between 50c and 61c. That is about 15 minutes after closing a game and running nothing but Chrome.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I don't know if Easytune's temperature readings are accurate, however if the motherboard thinks your CPU is overheating that would certainly explain the high fan speeds. See how hot Easytune says the CPU is getting under load (e.g. a CPU torture test like Prime95) and compare that to Coretemp. If both programs show high temperatures (>65C), the cooler may be mounted incorrectly. If only Easytune says the CPU is hot, update the motherboard BIOS.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Alereon posted:

I don't know if Easytune's temperature readings are accurate, however if the motherboard thinks your CPU is overheating that would certainly explain the high fan speeds. See how hot Easytune says the CPU is getting under load (e.g. a CPU torture test like Prime95) and compare that to Coretemp. If both programs show high temperatures (>65C), the cooler may be mounted incorrectly. If only Easytune says the CPU is hot, update the motherboard BIOS.

So EasyTune6 was/is showing that my CPU is overheating. CoreTemp hasn't been, but going back to test again now has both programs showing that I'm overheating. Fair enough, at least I'm getting a consistant answer now. But, in the past few days, I've unseated and remounted the cooler time and time again, double checking to make sure everything was mounted properly. I also cleaned off the thermal paste and reapplied a fresh layer, just to be on the safe side.

So I guess my new question is, if different fans have been used, all mounted properly, and thermal paste applied, would that point to a problem with the CPU itself? My case is enormous with proper airflow set up, and dust free. The above programs are saying that my other temperatures are ice cold, even under load.

Thank you for your help, by the way. I appreciate it. This has been driving me crazy for a couple of weeks now.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
How hot is the CPU getting under load? I don't think there's anything "wrong" with your CPU or motherboard, CPUs of your type just run very hot and your motherboard is rather old and not really meant to be used with your CPU, and in addition has very minimal power saving and fan control capabilities. Update the motherboard BIOS and see if that helps, but I really think the problem is heatsink mounting, because a Hyper 212 should be able to cool an FX-8350 at stock settings without too much noise. Then again, that cooler is more typically recommended for Intel CPUs with half the power usage. You may be using too much thermal paste (there should be a paper-thin, even layer on the CPU heat spreader only), or the heatsink may not be getting clamped down tightly enough.

It's a little late now so mentioning it is kind of dickish, but this situation is why it's important to plan out a PC upgrade and buy appropriate parts that work well together. Here you paired an obsolete (from 2008), extremely low-end motherboard with a CPU that offered a rather poor value and wasn't well supported, so now you have a disappointing experience and have to spend more time and money to work around the shortcomings. For the same money you could have picked up a decent mid-range Intel-based motherboard and CPU, or at least an appropriate AMD CPU and motherboard for your needs, and ended up with a decent computer.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

Alereon posted:

How hot is the CPU getting under load? I don't think there's anything "wrong" with your CPU or motherboard, CPUs of your type just run very hot and your motherboard is rather old and not really meant to be used with your CPU, and in addition has very minimal power saving and fan control capabilities. Update the motherboard BIOS and see if that helps, but I really think the problem is heatsink mounting, because a Hyper 212 should be able to cool an FX-8350 at stock settings without too much noise. Then again, that cooler is more typically recommended for Intel CPUs with half the power usage. You may be using too much thermal paste (there should be a paper-thin, even layer on the CPU heat spreader only), or the heatsink may not be getting clamped down tightly enough.

It's a little late now so mentioning it is kind of dickish, but this situation is why it's important to plan out a PC upgrade and buy appropriate parts that work well together. Here you paired an obsolete (from 2008), extremely low-end motherboard with a CPU that offered a rather poor value and wasn't well supported, so now you have a disappointing experience and have to spend more time and money to work around the shortcomings. For the same money you could have picked up a decent mid-range Intel-based motherboard and CPU, or at least an appropriate AMD CPU and motherboard for your needs, and ended up with a decent computer.

It turns out you were exactly right. The Gigabyte software stated that my BIOS was up to date, but I was able to get a newer set from the Gigabyte website that the software hadn't detected. The fan is a bit more under control now and temperature readings look good across any program I test it on, under load and idle. Just to be safe, I cleaned off the thermal paste and reapplied a really thin, evenly placed layer.

And it's not dickish, you're exactly right. Chalk it up to first time computer build from someone who didn't know what they were doing and got a little overzealous. Thanks again for your advice, I do appreciate it. I plan to replace a couple of things, using the parts-picker thread and advice, sometime in the next few weeks.

• Locked thread