Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Problem description: I have owned a pre-built desktop for around six months now, and everything has worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. The problem is that for three times now, the GTX 780 fan has been whirring at 100 % speed as soon as I reach the Windows 7 log-in screen. There is no change in the fan speed, it stays at the maximum until I turn off the machine. Whenever I check the fan speed with GPU-Z when this 100 % thing is happening, it claims it is only spinning at around 30 %, but it doesn't detect the precise RPM. When it works normally, it says both the per cent and the proper RPM. The problem has recurred at about two week's intervals. The temperature has always remained low, so the fan speed isn't explained by random overheating.

Attempted fixes: The problem goes away when I power down the PC, open the case and ever so slightly touch the GPU fan. I have removed all the dust, but it seems that the dust isn't the problem, because just touching the fan helps. I'm guessing it is just a some sort of hardware failure and I have to take the GPU back some time, but I wonder if there is just some easy fix I am missing. Thankfully, I still have two years of warranty left, so I'm covered either way.

Recent changes: Only one I can think of is installing the newest Nvidia drivers (347.09 WHQL) , but the problem didn't follow instantly on the next or second reboot. No other significant chances.

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit.

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3,6 GHz Quad-Core, Haswell
GPU: NVIDIAn GeForce GTX 780 3072 Mt
Memory: 8 Gt 1600 MHz DDR3
Motherboard: ASUS Intel H97 PRO(?), mATX
Hard drives: Samsung EVO 840 250 Gb SSD and a 1 Tt 7200 rpm HDD (can't remember the model)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'd suggest updating the videocard BIOS, as that's what controls fan speed, but it may just be a defect in the fan controller.

• Locked thread