Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

pixelbaron posted:

teatro grottesco by thomas ligotti and i also started in cold blood by truman capote

I didn't like this book that much but really enjoyed my work is not yet done by ligotti

For some reason Australians can't buy most of his ebooks which is very bad and gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
i remember i read a book by ligotti, the title was something about dreams and it was pretty spooky

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

most classic are and if its boring to you i suggest dropping and reading something you enjoy

then maybe in a few yaers try again

im trying to read classic books, frankenstein was good and dracula was okay until near the end where I got bored because he kept going on about how pure this lady was.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
tried to read the picture of dorian gray and got bored like halfway through

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
maybe you guys are better off reading the modern classics like twilight or harry potter

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Neurosis posted:

I didn't like this book that much but really enjoyed my work is not yet done by ligotti

For some reason Australians can't buy most of his ebooks which is very bad and gay

i've got ligottis noctuary waiting until i have time to read. it's a collection of short stories i think?

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Dyna Soar posted:

maybe you guys are better off reading the modern classics like twilight or harry potter

That's by Turgenev and Dostovoesky respectably, right?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
a novel about the ultimate futility of life itself, told through the lens of a boy wizard school series

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

krampster2 posted:

:siren:serious post:siren: A Place Called Freedom by Ken Follett. One of his not so great selling novels but I think it's decent and it was only ten bucks so hey. I just like to go to the book store, pick out something cheap and buy it with no knowledge of the book past the blurb. So much better reading a novel when you know nothing about it and everything is a surprise. Researching fiction and reading up on all the info and reviews before you read/watch/listen just kills the experience imo. Just got Gardens of the Moon and will start reading it soon because yeah TBB.

Also am reading the hentai doujinshi "kenichi bangs miu hard in the dojo" and am loving it so far.

I had a friend who was a complete tool and he really liked Ken Follet

So I avoided those books and I always think you must be some sort Of idiot if you enjoy them

It's called the halo effect

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Don Tacorleone posted:

I had a friend who was a complete tool and he really liked Ken Follet

So I avoided those books and I always think you must be some sort Of idiot if you enjoy them

It's called the halo effect

did he write pillars of the earth b/c i read that and the author had a major fixation on womens pubic hair lol

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

did he write pillars of the earth b/c i read that and the author had a major fixation on womens pubic hair lol

Yup, its pretty much the reason he got into historical fiction in the first place.

To add, I'm slogging through the Sword In The Stone part of Once And Future King.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Candide, because my girlfriend is working on a big philosophical paper on it for one of her classes and wants my help.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Jimlit posted:

Yup, its pretty much the reason he got into historical fiction in the first place.

To add, I'm slogging through the Sword In The Stone part of Once And Future King.

Once and Future King is one of my favorite books ever.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

i remember i read a book by ligotti, the title was something about dreams and it was pretty spooky

Nightmare factory i think

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm reading The Stand because I finished two Faulkner books this month and I want something light now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm reading Pride and Prejudice, and I've gotta say it's a bit racy for my taste

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

pixelbaron posted:

teatro grottesco by thomas ligotti and i also started in cold blood by truman capote

Reading this now, too. "The Town Manager" and "Our Temporary Supervisor" own.

TOILETLORD posted:

i made it half way through moby dick realized i didn't pay attention for like the last 50 pages and didn't know what i was reading and said gently caress it.

I got an audiobook of Moby Dick read by
Dick Muller, and he really sells it. I don't think I could have had the patience to read it, and the language is so good that it benefits from being read aloud.

Also reading King Leopold's Ghost. You almost have to admire his evil genius but dude was a dick. It takes work to have the most brutal colony of the 19th and 20th centuries.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

Yeah the sex scenes in A Place Called Freedom are weird af too, one contains incest.

Only book of his I've read though, not a fan but it isn't bad.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Neurosis posted:

Nightmare factory i think

sorry songs of a dead dreamer i suck

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Reading this now, too. "The Town Manager" and "Our Temporary Supervisor" own.

yeah i agree on that i didn't like teatro grottesco that much overall but these stories were loving rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Sand by Hugh Howey

• Locked thread