Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

The Humble bundle has ended. Scrolls can still be purchased for 5$ USD and is worth every penny.

Set 7 is on the horizon with more spoilers coming out every week.

Scrolls, how does it work?
Scrolls is considered a tactical CCG (collectible card game). A 2D board with beautiful and animated sprites that fight one another. There are five rows or "lanes" that are three hexes deep and your opponents side mirrors that. At the beginning of each lane are totems with HP and reducing three of your opponents five totems to zero health will win you the match. If you enjoy strategy and tactical thinking; Scrolls will probably delight. After the initial purchase of 5$ it is very possible to play for free and is not pay to win. Since there are three kinds of rarities: Common (C); Uncommon (U); Rare (R), you don't have to gently caress with the mythical,double exotic, extra-extra-extra, super loving hard to get rarity, bullshit. A lot C/U are staples in top meta decks, as well.

Has been released for Android and will eventually be released for the iOS.

Play modes include: Your standard Tutorial that awards you gold and teaches the basics; Skirmish where you 1v1 an AI and set the difficulty; Trials which are puzzle games that give a large amount of gold; Quick Match is the first option of multiplayer and is un-ranked; Ranked Match is self-explanatory; and finally Judgement which is comparable to a draft that will be explained later.

Free to Play
So this get thrown around a lot these days and loosely defined to get around technicalities. So technically it isn't free to play because it requires 5$ for full access, so there is your pay-wall I suppose. After that it is very much free to play. Every game you play, from tutorial to ranked match, earns you gold and trials can earn you a lot of gold. With gold you can buy any scroll in the game, there is no pay-wall. There are daily trials that reset every 24 hours and a player to player market place to buy and sell scrolls. There are plenty of casuals to beat up on and practice with. And if you are a masochist you could just grind on AI matches all day. I have never felt that the game was grindy and thought the gold flowed relatively freely to where I was constantly getting something new and being rewarded.

There is a demo version for free and you can play most of the game. It is normally 5$ for full access to the entire game and you keep your progress of the Demo if/when you upgrade your account.

Resources
In Scrolls you build a deck of 50 scrolls (cards). You cannot have more then three copies per scroll and you may go over 50, but it isn't recommended. There are four resources or factions in the game that each have their own unique style and flavor. You can mix resource types with any ratio you desire and can have a single or all four resources included within the same deck. A quick run-down of the resources:
Scroll through this

• Decay
    This resource favors removal, control, de-buffing opponents creatures and combos. Mainly has undead, rats, humans and a sprinkling of beasts. The meta right now favors mid to late game decay decks.

• Growth
    This resource typically plays very fast, aggressive play, and buffing your creatures, although, it does have a few late game decks. Humans, beasts, wolves, kinfolk and all other sorts of forest creatures abound in Growth (oops I said forest).

• Energy
    Whether it is from creatures or spells this resource is all about direct damage. Agro, mid-range and late game decks are all found here. Gravelocks (goblins), humans, and robots are its specialty.

• Order
Order is either agro or late game, typically not a lot in-between and loves to spell spam. Knights, human knights, wing dudes that are knights and soldiers.

This is what a scroll looks like:

There are different types of scrolls and include:
  • Creature - These attack your opponents creatures, structures and/or idols. Most have passive and activated abilities.
  • Enchantment - These go on creatures or structures to buff or de-buff them.
  • Structure - These are un-movable objects that typically do not attack. Usually a structure has some kind of passive or activated ability, but some are just really effective at soaking up incoming damage.
  • Spells - Spells are what players cast to cause an immediate effect to the board. They can: buff all your creatures; de-buff your opponents creatures; gain additional resources; Kill or damage creatures and structures; damage idols; etc. Introduced with 1.0 is the new Linger spell which, once cast, stays in play for a specified amount of turns and effects the board

Alright, I got my tax return back and can now afford 5$. What now?
First do all the tutorials and some trials if you can. The game starts you with a pre-constructed starter of a resource of your choice. From there you need to win games against each resource to unlock the rest of the starter decks (for free). Once you get all four starter decks you have a foundation and can get a general feel of how each resource plays and what you might like. Here shows the expectations for unlocks.

Next you can either save for a pre-constructed deck, which have decent value in my opinion, buy the scrolls out-right from the Black Market or the Just For You section, or roll the dice in the store with random scroll packs. All of these are found in the Shop tab. You have some options with random scrolls:
  • Random Scroll 100g - The cheapest option and gives a random scroll from any resource, any rarity, from any set.
  • Scroll Pack 1,000g - Next is the ten pack. This guarantees you two un-commons and one rare. Once again, any set/resource/rarity.
  • Explorer's Pack 1,200g- The most expensive pack and generally only desired by established players looking for new scrolls. This pack promises that four of the ten scrolls will be from the newest set.
  • Resource Specific Pack 200g - Same as the Random Scroll pack just resource specific and twice the price.

As a new player, if you are buying packs, I would only buy the Random Scroll pack. Somehow this game hasn't released any over the top OP scrolls every new set to entice people to buy them. Generally speaking, the game is decently balanced and new sets don't seem progressively stronger. That is why I wouldn't suggest the Explorer's Pack until you have a decent collection. Also, Scroll Pack and Explorer's limit you to one rare per 1,000/1,200gold. Where you could get lucky and hit multiple rares with that same 1k gold. It's your gold, waste it how you see fit.

The Just For You section of the Shop is a great way to get specific scrolls and it resets every 24 hours. Before buying from there check the black market and make sure you can't buy it cheaper with gold; Also, sometimes you can buy a scroll for gold in the Just For You and resell it for profit on the Black Market. You can use either gold or shards for their purchase. Shards are the other in-game currency that you buy with real-life money. Shards can only buy Just For You scrolls, pre-constructed decks and cosmetic items and Judgement.

I got the Tutorial done and want to smash someones face in get my face smashed in by a Goon.
Once you log in, click Arena and in the bottom left is Join Room; Join "Goon".
Also, go here and make an account then join GoonScrolled. No guild features have been added in-game yet and this is the closest we have. Apply or ask me for an invite.

Goon IGNs
Forg0tton
Bukowski
Snikkerz
Zodack
Vier
ButtJourney
Here is a great guide for new players on how to earn and spend your gold.

Forging
Stay the gently caress away until you have plenty of scrolls and gold. Forging is for flashing e-peen with a dash of practicality. You essentially take three of the same scroll and forge it in to a tier 2 scroll. This make it shine a little. Then you can take three tier 2 scrolls and turn it in to a tier 3 scroll. This makes it all shiny, it keeps stats on all the games it was played in, keeps track of owners and increases how much gold you earn per match. Mainly just e-peen but a cool way to flash your e-peen.

quote:

“Each Tier 3 scroll you draw during a match increases a gold multiplier. Depending on the rarity of the drawn Tier 3 scroll, this multiplier is increased by 2.5%/5%/10%. In the end, your match rewards (excluding fixed amounts such as Idol and Completion rewards) are multiplied by this amount. The maximum bonus you can get is 50%.”
Generally forging is not worth it until you have plenty of extra copies you don't want to sell and you play with them frequently.

Tips, advice, and other ramblings
Good luck finding videos on YouTube that aren't commentated by annoying people or just horribly out-dated.
Make sure when selling scrolls you are in the black market and aren't selling to the NPC in the Store. You get to the Black Market from the Store tab.
You can only buy each pre-constructed deck once.
You can play the Demo version for free, you just miss out on some features.
Ranked Match rewards more gold for wins and losses then Quick Match or Skirmish does.
Some budget decks. Probably a good start for newer players.
You can buy Ag Growth for around 10-20k gold. That video teaches you how to play it and what is in it.

Other sites and things
For the newbies
Wiki
Wiki #2 Serious poo poo when there are two wikis.
Scrolls Reddit
Scrolldier Decks and some limited discussion.
Scrolls Guide One of the better sites.
YouTube channel that has many great videos.
Everything else
Unofficial Rulebook If interested in game mechanics and how they work.

Forgotton fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
There's plenty of value in that $12.00 bundle, thanks Forg. Woo lets learn another card game!

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
This game looks very cool and I think I'll pick it up when I Get home from work.

For what it's worth, Star Realms, which is also in that humble bundle, is also a cool and fun game. I haven't played the digital version, but the physical version is fun and plays well.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This is gonna sound weird, but how is scrolls for somebody who isn't interested in deck-building? I love tactical combat, and the actual bit where you play the card game, but deck building has never interested me in the slightest. Looking up decks online and figuring out their gimmicks can be fun though. Or borrowing a random deck of Magic cards from a friend.

I got several weeks of fun out of Card Hunter, which is also in the humble bundle.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

you lost me at 'decks' OP

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

you lost me at 'decks' OP

It's a skateboarding thing.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is gonna sound weird, but how is scrolls for somebody who isn't interested in deck-building? I love tactical combat, and the actual bit where you play the card game, but deck building has never interested me in the slightest. Looking up decks online and figuring out their gimmicks can be fun though. Or borrowing a random deck of Magic cards from a friend.

I got several weeks of fun out of Card Hunter, which is also in the humble bundle.

There are a few really good sites that have decks lists that players have put together. Typically, every resource has 2-4 meta decks that are the most competitive. You can shoot for those if you don't want to tinker with niche, odd, or unique decks. Just sit around and let others figure them out, purchase the scrolls with gold and play.

Also, the card pool right now is 360 and that is with 6 sets. Once you start playing and get a feel for what is good and bad deck building isn't terrible.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i bought the $1 bundle tier. every time i start this it tries to update the image library and gets stuck at 100%. can't click anything and i have to alt-tab and close the window.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mods, please rename thread to Mojang's Scrolls: Not your elders' scrolls.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Lizard Wizard posted:

Mods, please rename thread to Mojang's Scrolls: Not your elders' scrolls.

Also came here to make this joke.

Are there any plans to release this on iOS? I can't imagine playing a game like this on anything that isn't my iPad.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 22, 2015

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

Awesome! posted:

i bought the $1 bundle tier. every time i start this it tries to update the image library and gets stuck at 100%. can't click anything and i have to alt-tab and close the window.

I would suggest the standard restart and perhaps even a uninstall re-install. Only thing Google pulled up was someones internet connection was slow and it didn't update and a Macbook issue. Also try using compatibility mode.

quote:

Also came here to make this joke.

Are there any plans to release this on iOS? I can't imagine playing a game like this on anything that isn't my iPad.

It is out for Android and they plan for an iPad release, I believe. It hasn't been added to Amazon market yet, but it is capable of being installed on a Kindle with easy installer.

Forgotton fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 22, 2015

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Awesome thread! Hope the humble bundle brings back a bunch of folks.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
The community is definitely booming right now. I haven't seen it drop under 1k players for about a week now. Matches are quick to get and the Meta seems healthy, even if it is dominated by Growth atm.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
This is actually pretty fun. Lots of neat card synergy and abilities.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I bought it / made an account but I haven't played it yet. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY FORGY-BABY

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The player base actually seems nice. I played a guy tonight, and after he beat me we talked strategy and he linked me some builds, checked out my decks and then gave me a whole bunch of free cards.

very slippery Mom
Apr 25, 2003

Charles Bukowski posted:

The player base actually seems nice. I played a guy tonight, and after he beat me we talked strategy and he linked me some builds, checked out my decks and then gave me a whole bunch of free cards.

Agreed. In all the of matches that I've lost horribly, and that's been most of them, the response has been to let me know how I can do better instead of "lol l2p noob."

Give it time!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I got the $12 tier bundle from Humble Bundle and I got a heap of stuff including three whole decks. I played through the tutorials (and made another heap of gold) and I think I'm slowly getting the hang of the core stuff. I haven't really played any games of this type before Hearthstone and this obviously seems to have a lot more moving parts to it than Hearthstone; e.g. the sacrificing mechanic to ramp up your mana is quite different but interesting.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Does the humble bundle code apply to already created accounts?

e: Looks like there's two separate codes: one for the game, one for everything else. Cool.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

reinstalled the game a few times. never gotten farther than this

oh well.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
So far my online multiplayer experience has been only Ducal Infantrymen + Royal Infantrymen.

Not really a lot of fun, but I shouldn't expect the premade decks to be any good I guess.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I focused on the energy premade and spent my money augmenting it into a nice low cost gravelock rush deck. Pretty fun.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Awesome! posted:

oh well.

unless the game has dramatically improved you really aren't missing much.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't around for the beta but I can say this is a very decent card game :)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yeah, I came into this not expecting to like it, but I'm actually having a lot of fun. Got in at the $12 tier on the Humble Bundle, burnt my way through the tutorials and some of the trials. It's a pretty darn good tablet game too, and complements Hearthstone pretty well, since they're pretty different. Having this, Hearthstone, and Star Realms (also fantastic) in my coat pocket means I'm never without a pretty good card game.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

Kevlar Beard posted:

Does the humble bundle code apply to already created accounts?

e: Looks like there's two separate codes: one for the game, one for everything else. Cool.

Yes, you get two codes: a code for scrolls; and a code for the pre-con decks. So if you already bought the pre-cons it will give you the scrolls to them again.

Awesome! posted:

oh well.

Try disabling your anti-virus while installing.

Al Borland posted:

unless the game has dramatically improved you really aren't missing much.

Depending on when you played, it has improved a lot. I find it a lot more fun then it was in Beta.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Am I missing something, or is going second a huge disadvantage in this game? The value of 1 scroll is pretty minimal relative to being able to play out your creatures first and playing out bigger creatures. Attacks being 1-sided and (somewhat) chosen by the attacker makes it seem surprising there isn't some extra bonus like a +1 temporary Wild scroll or something.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010

koolkal posted:

Am I missing something, or is going second a huge disadvantage in this game? The value of 1 scroll is pretty minimal relative to being able to play out your creatures first and playing out bigger creatures. Attacks being 1-sided and (somewhat) chosen by the attacker makes it seem surprising there isn't some extra bonus like a +1 temporary Wild scroll or something.

Going first is a slight advantage, but can be negated a bit. Typically you want to control the middle lane, if you go second and his creatures are going to out-pace yours, or you won't have a good position, you can start amassing in the very top or very bottom lane. There are also plenty of scrolls that hit your opponents tempo and increase yours. This advantage is most noticeable against very aggressive decks and not so much with mid range and late game decks. Here is a discussion on Reddit about this same issue http://www.reddit.com/r/Scrolls/comments/2tn1k5/new_player_here_going_first_advantage_seems/

What is everyone's IGN so I can start adding them to the OP and we can get some goon on goon battles rolling.

Forgotton fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 25, 2015

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
The meta in this game is so incredibly frustrating. I always end up going second and all my units get spelled or enchanted to death (or my opponent has creatures with haste) and I can never catch up. I just want to play mono-Order but it's too slow, and I don't have enough support for any other kind of deck.

It seems really unsided. Whoever gets removal and goes first usually wins unless someone has a big turnaround, which is incredibly situational.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
More people need to join the in-game channel "goon" so we can get some practice in together!

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
Goons beating up on goons.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I still have PSTD from his Thunder Surge and his Lockling Brood cheating the game mechanics.

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
Great article for new-comers wondering what to do with their starter scrolls and gold http://www.scrollsguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6112. Some budget decks and cheap improvement tips.

Community ran Tournament going on next Saturday. Prizes are pretty large. http://www.scrollsguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=6186

Forgotton fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 1, 2015

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I got owned by a goon the other night with my aggro energy deck. Forg gave me some money, hobbled together a ranged energy deck, mopped the floor with previous goon in a rematch. Felt pretty good.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

This game has one fatal flaw, 80% of the time when I lose in judgement it puts me against the exact same person next match, they really need to work on their system (probably not players enough to match properly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgotton
Dec 31, 2010
New balance patch is live. They buffed Order and nerfed Growth; Decay also got a bump with poison. Should be interesting to see how the meta shakes out.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Scrolls/comments/2wg63j/live_server_the_great_rebalancing/

• Locked thread