Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

my tv is good enough, it's big and has an hdmi connection so i can hook it up to streaming services or my pc. i feel no need to buy a new tv.

*sony, samsung shrivel and die at these words, like a vampire in sunlight*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Damo posted:

nearly every person/family ive been around that has bought a tv with that lovely smoothing interpolating poo poo since it became a standard "feature" prefers to leave it on, even after I show them it can be disabled

i dont try to argue it with them like a obnoxious nerd or anything, i just silently note how poo poo and tasteless they are

THANK YOU. I was worried I was the only one. We have a TV at work with that poo poo and I end up looking like a crazy person because I'm trying to get them to see what I see.

"Doesn't that bug you?"

"Doesn't what bug me?"

"THAT! What it's doing right now ughhhhhhhhhhh!"

It makes everything look like it was shot with a soap opera camera.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

beedeebee posted:

If there's one thing I like, it's caring about framerates in stuff!!

It's not about performance specs. It's about ethics in tv marketing.
#framerate

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Now I know what an autism convention is like without ever having to attend. :allears:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
i'll get a 4k TV when it comes with free Lasik, until then I can't see the difference anyway.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Applewhite posted:

THANK YOU. I was worried I was the only one. We have a TV at work with that poo poo and I end up looking like a crazy person because I'm trying to get them to see what I see.

"Doesn't that bug you?"

"Doesn't what bug me?"

It's the inability to maintain that appearance of smoothness between small movements and larger movements that create motion blur that truly ruins frame rate interpolation. It goes from a creepy appearance of smoothness that sets off the uncanny valley effect, to juddering because the interpolation algorithm can't connect the motion blur between frames. Ugh.

Fortunately, I can describe the effect to my friends well enough that they can see it, then become bothered by it and disable it.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

rejutka posted:

Now I know what an autism convention is like without ever having to attend. :allears:

it is sad urs is so bad u can't leave the house

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

"Doesn't that bug you?"

"Doesn't what bug me?"

EightBit posted:

It's the inability to maintain that appearance of smoothness between small movements and larger movements that create motion blur that truly ruins frame rate interpolation. It goes from a creepy appearance of smoothness that sets off the uncanny valley effect, to juddering because the interpolation algorithm can't connect the motion blur between frames. Ugh.

Fortunately, I can describe the effect to my friends well enough that they can see it, then become bothered by it and disable it.

maybe you're the ones with the problem

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
I'm still have my Samsung 720P LCDs that I paid a fortune for like 8 years ago, I will upgrade when I can get a replacement 40 inch OLED for my living room for no more than $1,200.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EightBit posted:

I'm sorry that a lifetime of terrible televisions and low framerate movies has ruined your eyes, don't poo poo on improving tech just because it looks different.

When color TVs were first coming out there were a lot of people who thought it was too colorful, shocking and a sensory overload. The colors are assaulting my eyes!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
People who think 60 fps looks bad are basically old folks and the bubbles are burning their tongue.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I'm going to buy a curved TV so I can throw my 3d TV in the trash along with my 4K TV, LED TV, LCD TV and Plasma TV.

spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

24 fps gives movies that dreamy otherworldly quality. I don't need it to look like real life, real life is terrible.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

EightBit posted:

the reason they implemented that feature is because LCDs take slightly too long to switch the output of their pixels and it causes artificial motion blur.

i have a pretty old LCD TV and the motion blur is so bad that any movie with action is virtually unwatchable, so i just turn on motion interpolation to its lowest setting. the problem is that it still looks like poo poo in a different way, but at least i can see what's going on.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

EightBit posted:

I'm sorry that a lifetime of terrible televisions and low framerate movies has ruined your eyes, don't poo poo on improving tech just because it looks different.

frame interpolation isn't an improvement. if the original is filmed at 32 frames per second, sliding in 200 more identical frames makes it look worse.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Concerned Citizen posted:

frame interpolation isn't an improvement. if the original is filmed at 32 frames per second, sliding in 200 more identical frames makes it look worse.

he was talking about poo poo that was filmed with HFR

and it's true that people mostly only think it looks bad because of film historical reasons.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I definitely know what people are talking about. I have a newer Samsung that has a great picture... After I disabled all that bullshit that made everything look jerky by default

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Cnut the Great posted:

he was talking about poo poo that was filmed with HFR

and it's true that people mostly only think it looks bad because of film historical reasons.
Framerate is a tool in the artists toolkit, so the choice of what to use is broadened by new technology, not supplanted. Colorizing B&W films looks like poo poo because they're lit to look good in B&W. Use the framerate you need to use for the picture you're making. To treat it as a bigger number = better affair is fallacy indicative of ignorance,.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

the gap between computer monitors adn tvs is closing fast enough that i just prefer my desktop

I have an older desktop attached to my big screen TV with a wireless Logitech keyboard w a touchpad you can hold like a giant remote.

It fuckin owns and I laugh at people who jump through a ton of hoops to get these weird rear end media streaming devices going.

Never buying a smart TV again we never use those features because they're slow as poo poo and don't work as well as the desktop.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

pwn posted:

Framerate is a tool in the artists toolkit, so the choice of what to use is broadened by new technology, not supplanted. Colorizing B&W films looks like poo poo because they're lit to look good in B&W. Use the framerate you need to use for the picture you're making. To treat it as a bigger number = better affair is fallacy indicative of ignorance,.

look at this poo poo. look at it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cnut the Great posted:

the reason they implemented that feature is because LCDs take slightly too long to switch the output of their pixels and it causes artificial motion blur.

i have a pretty old LCD TV and the motion blur is so bad that any movie with action is virtually unwatchable, so i just turn on motion interpolation to its lowest setting. the problem is that it still looks like poo poo in a different way, but at least i can see what's going on.

Computer monitors have had this basically solved for years. I have an ips monitor that does overdrive and barely has motion blur. Interpolation is not what helps reduce motion blur. Hell, any decent video card can do overdrive too. Motion interpolation is filth that must be cleansed from the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

I have this OLED TV and I can promise you that it kicks more rear end than you can possibly imagine:
http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-55EA9800-Cinema-Curved/dp/B00E5U3YEK

:gizz:

• Locked thread