Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a messed up horse posted:

Did Morrowind have any kind of spellcrafting system like Oblivion did? I mean it wasn't amazing but I had some fun screwing around with that.

Yeah, Morrowind has spellcrafting as well. Thanks to how easily exploitable the game is, you can do crazy poo poo with it, like make horrifying spells of fire damage with a damage large enough in a radius large enough to wipe out entire cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I agree, all modern games are poo poo. And the masses just eat it up anyway! It's worse when popular games get all this hype and everyone saying you should get it when it's really just awful baby games. That's why I stick to pacman and ET on my Atari.

OP, do you also enjoy the magical interactive entertainment of the Phillips CD-I?

I read somewhere, but maybe someone can enlighten me. During the 8-bit and 16-bit era, weren't many games released in Japan prone to bugs that were later fixed in the US and European releases? I know some were thought to be too buggy to release here like secret of mana 2 for the SNES, but I swear it was a much more common problem where Japanese releases had pretty bad bugs that other markets never saw. That would give a false impression of them being good back in the day.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

thieves guild quests in oblivion were fun too

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

I think it's because 90% of a game's budget these days goes towards having pretty graphics and not towards having actual content.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
New games suck because they are not Star Control 2

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Glass of Milk posted:

New games suck because they are not Star Control 2

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Chomp8645 posted:

I think we can settle on Morrowind combat being worse mechanically, but better in execution than Oblivion.

I felt that morrowind had better combat once you knew how it worked and how to take advantage of it. Swinging swords and stuff has never really felt fun in the later games because the third person camera and animations felt shoddy. (i.e my immersion)

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Woah. The thread got this far without bringing up System Shock 2(Bioshock) or Xcom(XcomEUrozone), two titles that got dumbed down overall in exchange for streamlining, removing the cumbersome RPG mechanics like the inventory system.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Not really

I'd argue movies are a bit better (though I prefer puppets to CGI)

TV is way the hell better now. I cannot make it through a single 80s sitcom today no matter how much I loved them as a kid aside for some rare exceptions

Video games and music definitely got worse tho

actually everything you mentioned all got better, you're just big loving baby

music got worse lmao what are you loving 80

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
To me, modern games would be awesome if it weren't for releasing broken buggy poo poo (BF4, Halo:MCC, Driveclub) and the push for microtransactioning the gently caress out of games (Forza 5, AC: Unity).

Forza is pretty terrible. The actual racing itself isn't too bad, but the content was reduced and there are some races were 8 out of 10 of the cars that can compete are DLC only - what the gently caress?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
resident evil 4 was loving awesome, but i'm scared to go back to it in case it hasn't held up

also, gently caress inventory tetris

in sum: some games are good, some are bad. it has always been this way and always will

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The Wii U has a constant stream of good games that work out the box so good job buying a poo poo console OP.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Most old games also sucked op

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

new games are good unlike old games which are all poo poo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

except Syphon Filter

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Plavski posted:

resident evil 4 was loving awesome, but i'm scared to go back to it in case it hasn't held up

also, gently caress inventory tetris

in sum: some games are good, some are bad. it has always been this way and always will

Resident Evil 4 has held up. RE5 didn't even hold up long enough for a second playthrough, but RE4's still got it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Alouicious posted:

except Syphon Filter

Was that the game with Sam Fisher

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Every time I see this piece of poo poo game I have to laugh, because not only are they selling this sub-Newgrounds-quality flash game poo poo for $10, but apparently people are also buying it

Gamers deserve lovely games when they spend money on things like this (see also: this goddamned poo poo that somehow is being sold for money)

Alouicious posted:

except Syphon Filter

You would think that there'd be more games in the last 20 years that would expand on the concept of "frying someone with a long-distance taser until they literally burst into flames"

Syphon Filter owned, the controls would probably feel like absolute poo poo in the present day though

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 8, 2015

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

There are still lots of really good and really poo poo games coming out, except now you can use the internet to decide which ones to play, and not just gaming magazines.

If you go out and buy every game on launch day at full price, then that's your own fault.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

There are too many games and not enough gamers

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I like dragons dogma, I'm looking forward to monster hunter 4, dark souls was cool and 3DS is the best hand held ever. New games are cool and fun, old games are cool and fun. They both suck pretty hard too though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Resident Evil 4 is still as good as it ever was. The new pc port is pretty much the definitive version.

Better than 5 or 6. 6 I could hardly bother finishing the main campaign let alone replaying any.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
IMO gameboy and all its latest iterations have been the only consistently good gaming platforms or w/e. There's still good stuff on the other consoles but they are fewer and far between. Gaming for me really peaked between 98-05. A big issue is that demographics have changed a lot and most kids and teenagers are use to companies whoring out dlc and churning out titles at a lesser degree of quality.

What sucks a lot is that many series I use to excitedly look forward to have gone down the shitter , like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Final Fantasy,Ace Combat etc. I feel like there's less to look forward to unless a company tries to be bold with a new IP, like when Demons Souls came out. A big problem too now is that devs all too frequently push out titles that are half done/still in beta testing and this has become an industry standard now. DLC whoring sucks too and is here to stay, sadly. I miss when a game would come out with tons of extra content to do and then maybe a few years later you'd get an expansion. People will argue that that was like our own version of dlc but it really wasn't since most expansions had just as much content as stand alone games now.

Oh well.

Manchild reporting in that's nearly 30 and still makes care posts about games.

Spoderman posted:

Resident Evil 4 has held up. RE5 didn't even hold up long enough for a second playthrough, but RE4's still got it.

RE4 to me is one of those timeless games, like Streets of Rage 2, where I can still beat it over and over without feeling bored. Everything about it just feels so top notch.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 8, 2015

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dolphin Fetus posted:

IMO gameboy and all its latest iterations have been the only consistently good gaming platforms or w/e. There's still good stuff on the other consoles but they are fewer and far between. Gaming for me really peaked between 98-05. A big issue is that demographics have changed a lot and most kids and teenagers are use to companies whoring out dlc and churning out titles at a lesser degree of quality.

gaming peaked around the time that you played games most you say, most interesting. i guess this means that new games suck indeed

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Games are good if you don't own a garbage console like the ps4 or x1

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

All the best games from the last decade to now can be played on the Wii U so OP is dumb as hell

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

portable gaming rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

lorn Wayne posted:

video games are ok.

manchildren who identify themselves as 'gamers' and base 90% of their free time around video games aren't ok. hth

This is still the most accurate post.

• Locked thread