Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

wilderthanmild posted:

The one thing that drives me crazy in intervention is how many of them claim some kind of abuse/trauma history caused their addiction. While I feel that it often might be true for many of them, I am pretty sure lots of them just do not want to accept personal responsibility for it. I guess "I use because x!" sounds better than "I started doing heroin and hosed up and ended up doing it way too much!".

See to me it's just the opposite. I was deliberately looking for the most contemptible person I could find on that show and I settled on the 23-year-old bank teller who is the world's most pathetic belligerent drunk. I picked this guy specifically because I hated his stupid voice and face and basically all his other qualities that were evident at a glance but I still couldn't feel anything but pity for him after it came out that he was raised by an alcoholic, coke-dealing single mom who thought it was hilarious to see an 8 year old eat an entire blunt roach.

Whether or not people say they accept personal responsibility, it seems clear that most of them are living in exactly the way that their upbringing and circumstances pushed them to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah there's a lot of that on the show. It's not like those people are capable of holding jobs, so I get why the parents do it, but it's the worst possible thing you can do.

Oh dude it can get so much worse than that. Have you noticed that these shows are almost always about middle-class addicts with supportive families? ("I see a whole lotta people that love you like crazy, and just want you to get better...") And they almost always push the addict into treatment by threatening to take that support away.

Have you ever met a homeless drug addict, someone without any of that? They just slip straight through the cracks. They don't get a 45-minute TV special with engineered catharsis at the end. Generally they just hit rock bottom and stay there. It's the saddest poo poo on earth

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

swamp waste posted:

Oh dude it can get so much worse than that. Have you noticed that these shows are almost always about middle-class addicts with supportive families? ("I see a whole lotta people that love you like crazy, and just want you to get better...") And they almost always push the addict into treatment by threatening to take that support away.

Have you ever met a homeless drug addict, someone without any of that? They just slip straight through the cracks. They don't get a 45-minute TV special with engineered catharsis at the end. Generally they just hit rock bottom and stay there. It's the saddest poo poo on earth

Well duh! They even said in that interview that someone linked to earlier that they evaluate candidates for the show based on loss potential. the intervention is all about getting leverage over an addict which is why 99% of them eventually break down and go to treatment. if they tried it on an addict who wasnt getting by by siphoning off their family, they lose their leverage and their chance to film crying and drama.

They experimented a few times. Laney's a good example. They finally got her to treatment only for her to leave after one day, take a limo back home, and ironically the driver was a sober coach who helped her sober up. Then Marquel came along and totally short circuited the show's formula and now they play it safe by choosing people who really can't say no

Cracked_Gear fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 5, 2015

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

That kid was destroyed in the whomb. That picture is textbook fas

I thought you were joking but...

Maybe life wasn't so perfect for Jeff and Ronda.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

drat, that's spot on

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

scott walker had a really lovely childhood haircut huh

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well this is interesting. Here are the childhood photos of Jeff.

The interviews about his childhood all talk about how sensitive and withdrawn he was.

He's described as abnormally shy at school. He didn't want to be around other people.

Not as cut and dry, but drat .

shiftless
May 18, 2005

My favorite part of the show is when it starts out with "When she was just a baby"... Like... you have to go back that far before you remember them getting high all the time.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Frosted Flake posted:

I thought you were joking but...

Maybe life wasn't so perfect for Jeff and Ronda.

holy poo poo

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I guess the hoarders on right now netflix is a "best of"? I just watched one where someone's dad was a literal loving former SS nazi who ate his pet rabbit and was literally grooming him to be the next Hitler (luckily he ended up being a chill hippy type dude). The shrinks talk to him about "what would your father think about this mess" and "your father would be proud now!" and it's like holy poo poo you should not do anything that makes a loving nazi proud JC

Also the editing\music becomes insanely brutally terrible in this ep or the one before it

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

We already talked about the 12 hour masterbater

fuuuuuck :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Show returns March 22nd, so set your DVRs for hilarity