Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
"Welfare for illegal immigrants" was one that appeared in a lot of political advertisements last election.

What the hell does that even mean? Do these illegal immigrants go in person and say "hi, I'm illegal" and get their money, or do they have to register as illegal immigrants to get a weekly check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
whoa dude dont get all political this thread is just for funzies

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
"for funzies"

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
fur babies

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I know this is from the first page, but I have to give a hearty second to this one. I've run into it in work environments, and it makes me want to stand on someone's windpipe.

Once again, it still doesn't even make sense. Americans say moot point to mean something that isn't worth talking about but it actually means something that is worth talking about.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RaceBannon posted:

Once again, it still doesn't even make sense. Americans say moot point to mean something that isn't worth talking about but it actually means something that is worth talking about.

No, it doesn't. I'm really not sure what you think it means, but here is the authoritative answer:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/moot

naem
May 29, 2011

"Hello I would like to purchase your goat"

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
potato 'smash' instead of mash

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
This thread has quadrupled my business!

Thanks Something Awful Dot Com!

RagnarIV
Jul 23, 2013

Man in Pink Armor
I used to not be bothered by "epic", but it has worn out it's welcome unless someone is talking about a really long poem or narrative. Also, "fail" used as a noun or adjective.
Needless to say, every time I hear someone say "epic fail" out loud, I suffer brain damage.

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*
Fudge-icle

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

RagnarIV posted:

I used to not be bothered by "epic", but it has worn out it's welcome unless someone is talking about a really long poem or narrative. Also, "fail" used as a noun or adjective.
Needless to say, every time I hear someone say "epic fail" out loud, I suffer brain damage.

You must be Maddox from 2010 talking to us in a weird time travel situation http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=epic

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

2015 is the year of the goat.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

DaveSplitter posted:

2015 is the year of the goat.

I thought you were joking. Nope.
http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-zodiac/goat.asp

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Applewhite posted:

"Mute point"

It's moot point, you loving idiot.

How can you be sure

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

in the goat zodiac every year is the year of the goat

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, it doesn't. I'm really not sure what you think it means, but here is the authoritative answer:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/moot

That's the problem. That is an American English dictionary entry. Historically a "moot" was an assembly held for debate. So a "moot point" is something worth talking about.

Even says it in that link of yours.

The word "moot" is related to the Witenagemot: which was a political body in Anglo-Saxon England. The word meant a meeting of wise men.

Think of the Entmoot if you're a LOTR fan. A gathering of Ents to discuss things.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RaceBannon posted:

That's the problem. That is an American English dictionary entry. Historically a "moot" was an assembly held for debate. So a "moot point" is something worth talking about.

Even says it in that link of yours.

The word "moot" is related to the Witenagemot: which was a political body in Anglo-Saxon England. The word meant a meeting of wise men.

Think of the Entmoot if you're a LOTR fan. A gathering of Ents to discuss things.

That was the Oxford English Dictionary. You can click a button in the top left and change it to the British definition, and it is just the same. It is the gold-standard of all dictionaries, and does mention the archaic definition you seem so caught up on.

So, to sum up, you are still very, very wrong.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That was the Oxford English Dictionary. You can click a button in the top left and change it to the British definition, and it is just the same. It is the gold-standard of all dictionaries, and does mention the archaic definition you seem so caught up on.

So, to sum up, you are still very, very wrong.

I'm not "very, very wrong". The point I was trying to make is that archaic definition is still in use in the UK though the North American usage is bleeding in.

juan fitzcarraldo
Aug 25, 2014

If you don't give me your support, I'll have to shit all over you. I don't want to do that but I can, and I will if I have to.

JiveHonky posted:

i hate the phrase "ching chong ding dong" bec im pretty sure its racist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXP6xORk1ko

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

RaceBannon posted:

I'm not "very, very wrong". The point I was trying to make is that archaic definition is still in use in the UK though the North American usage is bleeding in.

No, the current definition (particularly when used as an adjective) has been around in England since the 1530s.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Oh wow, shut all the way up

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

Oh wow, shut all the way up

Good example!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

joat mon posted:

Good example!

You can't burn anyone this soon after being part of that slap fight, you half-an-idiot.

ObscureThought
May 10, 2013

"Wah-lah"

"For all intensive purposes"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

gnarlyhotep posted:

a wrestling-themed pub

Wouldn't it be a boxing themed pub? I thought wrestling allowed holds.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

joat mon posted:

No, the current definition (particularly when used as an adjective) has been around in England since the 1530s.

It is still wrong.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

In debating, the moot is the central statement to be debated, so I always thought it should mean "a thing to be debated or discussed" rather than "a thing not worth discussing".

I am the kind of insufferable nerd that was on the high school debating team.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory
"should of"

it's should've, as in SHOULD HAVE, goddamn it :argh:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

"the cat's out of the bag" put a zip tie on it then you loving idiot

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

"rad"

never fails to make me cringe

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Whenever someone types "loose" instead of "lose" it makes me want to put their eyes out.

Also, I find it hilarious seeing signs that say "BUSSES ONLY" outside a school. The plural of "bus" is "buses." "Busses" is a completely different word.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Whenever someone types "loose" instead of "lose" it makes me want to put their eyes out.

Also, I find it hilarious seeing signs that say "BUSSES ONLY" outside a school. The plural of "bus" is "buses." "Busses" is a completely different word.

They want moms and dads to kiss their kids before they drop them off at school.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

"winner winner chicken dinner" made even worse by pronouncing it like "winnah winnah chicken dinnah"

gently caress

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I absolutely hate it when my friend insists on saying "human being skull" every time he gets a noscope, it's just like dude, really?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
brain fart

don't ever say brain fart

the proper term for a momentary lack of judgement or faux pas is brain CRAMP.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

"boipussy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I am also onboard with hating "It is what is is.". I think my one friend infected the workplace with it to the point that guy who later took over for him has the saying on a wooden plaque in his office. You may as well just change it to "I give up." because that's pretty much what you're saying. Great to have in a government office.

Also, "Something like that." What's wrong with just saying "Pretty much"? It's much less dismissive. Answering "Something like that." sounds like you're keeping a secret. When it's an rear end in a top hat boss telling you that, it's ten times worse.

• Locked thread