Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCanada
Mar 14, 2011

Shto?
Problem description: PSU failed last night, computer shutdown. Bought new power supply (Thermaltake - SMART Series 850-Watt ATX Power Supply) After installing new power supply, all fans spin up, LEDs light up, but there is no signal to the monitor from the GPU using HDMI

Attempted fixes: Checked connections from PSU to motherboard and GPU, swapped the HDMI cord, tried another monitor, tried another GPU, cleared CMOS, moved GPU to another PCI slot. Haven't heard any beeps etc. from mobo, don't think it's making it to windows log-in screen, no windows boot sound or anything

Recent changes: Replaced PSU, but all the parts are brand new, barely a month old. Previous PSU was a CORSAIR CX series CX750 750W ATX12V

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64-bit

System specs: Home-built computer, ASrock 990FX Extreme 6 mother board, AMD FX-8350 Black Edition processor, XFX Radeon R9-280X GPU, Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM, thermaltake smart series 850-Watt ATX PSU, Rosewill RNX-N250PCe Wireless N300 Wi-Fi Adapter, Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM HD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

This has been driving me nuts, I have been working all day trying to get this to work, tons of googling and hours of frustration. Any help would be much appreciated

CaptainCanada fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?
First thought: You did plug the PCI-E power cord from the PSU to the GPU, right?

Those R9 GPUs are power hungry beasts, and if I remember correctly, won't work without the extra power.

The Corsair PSU is standard non-modular, the Thermaltake is modular - so the power cord might not have occured to you off the bat.

CaptainCanada
Mar 14, 2011

Shto?
Yeah, both the 6+2pin and the 6pin are plugged in, and I've tried using different cords in case one of them is bad.
edit: welp, now the other graphics card that was used as a test is no longer working in it's original build. Is it possible this power supply/motherboard fried both these GPUs?

CaptainCanada fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 28, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainCanada posted:

Is it possible this power supply/motherboard fried both these GPUs?

It'd be rare for a new PSU to kill a lot of components like that. What was the other GPU you tried?

And have you tried using something besides HDMI cables?

CaptainCanada
Mar 14, 2011

Shto?
Managed to get the other GPU to work (It was a R9 270x) in the other computer, moved it to a new PCI slot and redid the power cables, haven't tried it in the current build again though. Just tried the DVI cable with no luck unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCanada
Mar 14, 2011

Shto?
Found the issue, the motherboard was shorted, thanks for the help guys

• Locked thread