Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
just reread 50 foot ant's posts on the last page, roffling again. that "cool to 13-year-olds" tone he uses is incredibly funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I love u 50FA dont let the haters get to you

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Hey, I just know what I've researched on the internet. Mostly fas.org and Wikipedia and the links from there.

WTF do I know beyond that? Not a loving thing.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
The bombs dropped on Japan mutated the the survivors into economic geniuses, eventually leading them to live in a technological utopia. Sure it would be bad at first, but eventually we'll all be rich!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

The bombs dropped on Japan mutated the the survivors into economic geniuses, eventually leading them to live in a technological utopia. Sure it would be bad at first, but eventually we'll all be rich!

Yeah but anime.

Bring on the Threads-pocalypse IMO.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

im in one of the clear places so probably just starve do death/get murdered in the nuclear winter

basically every worthless part of the country will be gone?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

The bombs dropped on Japan mutated the the survivors into economic geniuses

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

People just aren't used to seeing evolved humans. (right)

How does this compare to the US? I checked out some US stocks ranging from the 80's till now, and they keep going up, but I don't know how it translates comparing it to Tokyo Nikkei Average.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

How does this compare to the US? I checked out some US stocks ranging from the 80's till now, and they keep going up, but I don't know how it translates comparing it to Tokyo Nikkei Average.

US stocks by comparison:

Japan basically had a epic asset bubble in the 1980s and things such as a real stock price/property values have been deflating ever since the bubble burst.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

etalian posted:

US stocks by comparison:

Japan basically had a epic asset bubble in the 1980s and things such as a real stock price/property values have been deflating ever since the bubble burst.

True, but do the numbers translate equally? The US never even made it to 20k.

e: 20,000 according to another graph I saw for US.
http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/historical/djia19802000.html

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 31, 2015

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

getting this thread back on track, did you guys see Ted Turner's doomsday video to be broadcast on CNN once it becomes apparent the world is going to end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naz-V5-YIIc

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
nukes caused anime ban all nukes

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

also, queen elizabeth's speech for if World War 3 ever happened:

Queen Elizabeth posted:

When I spoke to you less than three months ago we were all enjoying the warmth and fellowship of a family Christmas. Our thoughts were concentrated on the strong links that bind each generation to the ones that came before and those that will follow. The horrors of war could not have seemed more remote as my family and I shared our Christmas joy with the growing family of the Commonwealth.

Now this madness of war is once more spreading through the world and our brave country must again prepare itself to survive against great odds.
I have never forgotten the sorrow and the pride I felt as my sister and I huddled around the nursery wireless set listening to my father's inspiring words on that fateful day in 1939. Not for a single moment did I imagine that this solemn and awful duty would one day fall to me.

We all know that the dangers facing us today are greater by far than at any time in our long history. The enemy is not the soldier with his rifle nor even the airman prowling the skies above our cities and towns but the deadly power of abused technology.
But whatever terrors lie in wait for us all the qualities that have helped to keep our freedom intact twice already during this sad century will once more be our strength.

My husband and I share with families up and down the land the fear we feel for sons and daughters, husbands and brothers who have left our side to serve their country. My beloved son Andrew is at this moment in action with his unit and we pray continually for his safety and for the safety of all servicemen and women at home and overseas. It is this close bond of family life that must be our greatest defence against the unknown. If families remain united and resolute, giving shelter to those living alone and unprotected, our country's will to survive cannot be broken.

My message to you therefore is simple. Help those who cannot help themselves, give comfort to the lonely and the homeless and let your family become the focus of hope and life to those who need it.

As we strive together to fight off the new evil let us pray for our country and men of goodwill wherever they may be.

God bless you all.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TerryLennox posted:

Have you heard of X-ray pindown, where a nuclear state could use periodic enhanced radiation warheads detonations above a silo to keep them from launching for fear of their guidance systems getting fried by the neutrons?

Great posts.

This is literally the first I had heard about this. Suppression fire with nukes, Jesus. Although, supposedly, this was largely theoretical, but then again, most of what we're talking about is.

Nostalgia4ColdWar posted:

Now, if we're talking full on MAD, there's going to be some complete dickheaded hits. The Amazon Rainforest, for example, gets to eat some enhanced jacketed weapons just to destroy swaths and poison the poo poo out of it. Damaging and poisoning the Amazon Basin is fully within MAD, because... hahahaha gently caress you. The oceanic kelp beds take near-surface hits to maximize thermal shock and oceanic shockwave disruption, because hahahahahaha gently caress you and your descendants. Add in maximum arable denial hits in the Midwest, China, Russia's farm belt, and other places, to minimize the usable area for the enemy to grow mass crops to feed large populations, because hahahahah starve, fucker. Add in additional hits (usually within the 250kt MiRV ranges with starburst 'enhanced geometry strikes')and it gets even uglier.

The big problem I see with this isn't to spite the enemy, but why are you wasting valuable warheads and limited targeting resources on such strikes? Especially with the possibly of losing more than 75% of your rocket forces in a first strike and an ever-improving ballistic missile defense, it's better tactics to have multiple missiles tasked to hit the same targets just in case those estimates turned out to be too optimistic and you actually lose 80-90% of your rocket forces in a first strike or the enemy's ABMs turn out to be really effective at taking your missiles out.

However, for an utter apocalyptic screwjob, I could totally see someone loving over any attempts to launch ICBMs by intentionally creating a Kessler syndrome in the low earth orbit prior to an enemy first strike or immediately after your own first strike. After all, preventing space exploration for from a hundred years to a millennium would be a small price to pay from keeping the majority of nukes off the table. It would take the war almost immediately out of the global theater, with bombers, cruise missiles, and IRBMs having to get pulled out and the chance for interception increases. It turns into a slower apocalyptic war.

Nostalgia4ColdWar posted:

Some of the last launches were slated for up to weeks later. See, by what you hit in the initial series of strikes, you can 'force' the enemy to concentrate survivors in certain areas, by both vestigial government influence, as well as 'well duh, we need to go to Carver's Ridge' estimations by survivors, and then you paste the poo poo out of that. That both kills the enemy, as well as further erodes any kind of belief in the government that might have been reforming, ensuring a probably total collapse of the emerging government.

MAD is ugly, spiteful, hateful.

Yeah, you can easily see this in the second map with the 2000-warhead and 500-warhead targets: major border crossings are spared in the 2000-warhead "first strike" scenario but actively targeted in the 500-warhead "counterstrike" scenario, presumably to catch millions of refugees in border bottlenecks as they try to flee from the conflagration.

Yivgev posted:

getting this thread back on track, did you guys see Ted Turner's doomsday video to be broadcast on CNN once it becomes apparent the world is going to end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naz-V5-YIIc

Holy poo poo.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 31, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Yivgev posted:

also, queen elizabeth's speech for if World War 3 ever happened:

The 'Christmas less than 3 months ago' part is strangely specific for a speech like that. I wonder if they had different ones written for every month, or if some scary poo poo we don't even know about yet happened in February/March. :tinfoil:

Fake Edit: Able Archer 83 happened in November 1983, KAL007 happened two months before that, were there any other big 80s scares?

Real Edit: Whoops forgot how old Queen Elizabeth was, that was for the Cuban Missile Crisis. This is what I get for Googling too quickly. :350:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 31, 2015

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

bitcoin bastard posted:

The 'Christmas less than 3 months ago' part is strangely specific for a speech like that. I wonder if they had different ones written for every month, or if some scary poo poo we don't even know about yet happened in February/March. :tinfoil:

Fake Edit: Able Archer 83 happened in November 1983, KAL007 happened two months before that, were there any other big 80s scares?

According to BBC, it looks like it was part of a government war game drill that the Queen and her staff participated in. The actual speech was written in March 4th, 1983, being completely composed on the fly by Whitehall officials. It was never recorded.

quote:

In the war-gaming exercise, Orange bloc forces - representing the Soviet Union and its Warsaw Pact allies - launch a chemical weapon attack on the UK.

Blue forces - representing Nato - retaliate with a "limited-yield" nuclear strike, forcing Orange to initiate a peace process.

The exercise came in the year that US President Ronald Reagan both enraged and alarmed Moscow with his denunciation of the Soviet Union as the "evil empire", his plans for a "Star Wars" ballistic missile shield in space, and the deployment of US nuclear cruise missiles to Europe - including to RAF Greenham Common.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
*CNN employee looks out the window to see the Atlanta skyline dominated by a mushroom cloud*

'Holy gently caress do we run the video?'

"I have to call someone for confirmation"

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
comon everyone.. walk into the showers. *nukes room*

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
should have been a "gently caress this gay earth" gif looping until they get knocked off the air

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Six pages and no mention of the secret letter in the safe British submarines that may or may not order them to retaliate if Britain is destroyed? It is the most British of responses to nuclear war, apart from subjugating natives.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

Trevor Hale posted:

Six pages and no mention of the secret letter in the safe British submarines that may or may not order them to retaliate if Britain is destroyed? It is the most British of responses to nuclear war, apart from subjugating natives.

I was going to post this later :argh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_of_last_resort

Wikipedia posted:

According to Peter Hennessy's book The Secret State: Whitehall and the Cold War, 1945 to 1970, the process by which a Trident submarine commander would determine if the British government continues to function includes, amongst other checks, establishing whether BBC Radio 4 continues broadcasting.[4] Submarines on patrol were reported to have briefly gone on nuclear alert in 2004 when Radio 4 mysteriously went off the air for 15 minutes.[5]

Looking forward to BBC 4 being retired without sub captains being notified.

Yivgev fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Yivgev posted:

I was going to post this later :argh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_of_last_resort

Looking forward to BBC 4 being retired without sub captains being notified.

We better hope the letter was similar to what Lord Healey allegedly wrote in his.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1090400/HMS-Apocalypse-Deep-Atlantic-submarine-waits-alert-nuclear-missiles-end-world--.html

"I would have said that there is no reason for doing something like that. Because most of the people you kill would be innocent civilians."

I know its the Daily Fail...

I like how China doesn't give a gently caress and committed to No First Use. If you a 3 Billion population, you can make do without 100 or 200 million.

• Locked thread