Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008
So you know how repeatedly using a mouse and keyboard for years and years wears away at your hands and wrists? Until eventually nerve damage starts to show up? (aka carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, etc.) I'm finding myself at the point where this is starting to manifest itself in my hands. It sucks a lot, to say the least.

In the interest of fixing it, or at least not letting it get any worse, I was wondering what measures other people have taken to deal with their own repetitive stress injuries. One change I've made is to start using voice dictation software to dictate what I need to say, instead of having to type it out (such as this post!) I've also heard good things about switching out what kind of mouse to use periodically (regular, vs. trackball, vs. using a tablet.)

Exercise wise, yoga and swimming is suppose to be pretty good? I play a lot of squash and ultimate, and have been trying to get back into rock climbing; not sure how good that stuff is for the wrists though.

So goons, tell me about your RSI stories; when it first started, how bad it got before you decided to do something about it (if you decided to do something about it), what helped and didn't help. Also would be interested in hearing about RSI of the non-computer-use variety, if anyone has anything to share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I used to have a repetitive stress injury but then I got a girlfriend.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I spend a large part of the day doing heavy lifting, and after my first 2 years in that job I developed what they call tennis elbow. Basically I was overextending my arm and pissing off my ulnar nerve. It became inflamed and at first it only twinged while lifting, but eventually it was sore constantly. I went for physiotherapy and they got me to do some exercises (arm curls and a few other things) to strengthen my bicep and therefore encourage my arm not to overextend. It worked and it feels nearly better now, but it took a few months for it to calm down.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

kedo posted:

I used to have a repetitive stress injury but then I got a girlfriend.

:captainpop:

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?
Dynamic sitting, standing instead of sitting, ice packs, focusing on form/posture, weight lifting, and buying special keyboards (Kinesis makes OK ones) are all things I've done that have helped my wrist. From what I understand, you basically have to reverse scar tissue build up, which is causing inflammation. A good doctor would be super helpful too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Get a tool like http://www.workrave.org/

Pros: Free, for both Windows and Linux, configurable
Cons: Anime

These tools are only useful as prevention.

• Locked thread