Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
the spinning beach ball in Apple OS X is confusing to newbs and infuriating to all

Apple... if you're reading this, please consider doing the following: instead of the spinning beach ball, make the suspect application get a little transparent and have an X over it with text on top that says "Please wait..."

that way people will know that they can use another application while they wait for that one to finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
tim cook is my friend and will post in this thread soon

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

newreply.php posted:

tim cook is my friend and will post in this thread soon

awesome thanks!!!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

That is one thing Uboontu does quite well, the window greys out and becomes obvious is not functioning. Windows just looks for a solution that never appears to exist.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

MrMoo posted:

That is one thing Uboontu does quite well, the window greys out and becomes obvious is not functioning. Windows just looks for a solution that never appears to exist.

the difference between that and os x, is the os x app may still be responding, it's just too busy to take any more actions i guess

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

theres lots of little ui things in os x and ios that are kind of surprisingly not fixed such as this

like, why cant i delete songs from my library via itunes recently added view? or search my total library from a playlist view?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
you mean like this?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
im more surprised i remembered about a screenshot i took in 2011 tbh

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Beeftweeter posted:

you mean like this?

yes. it would be cool if all apps would do this throughout the os, unless specifically designed not to do so

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

yes. it would be cool if all apps would do this throughout the os, unless specifically designed not to do so

stick your poo poo on failing rotational media it will do it plenty

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
if you move the beachball cursor outside the window of the stuck application it turns into a regular cursor

that is enough of a cue for most people

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Beeftweeter posted:

you mean like this?

lol i remember the outrage when they were going to make the nstabview look like that

just lol forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

if you move the beachball cursor outside the window of the stuck application it turns into a regular cursor

that is enough of a cue for most people

people still obsessively click with the spinning beach ball hoping it will do something, and sometimes it actually does all at once when it stops

• Locked thread