Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DarkFact posted:

Harvard's Psychology program isn't APA accredited (if it's not APA accredited, it's not really worthwhile, at least for clinician purposes since it means the quality does not meet the minimum expected requirements of the American Psychological Association). So your story rings very true in the sense that ethics, morals, and values of clinicians trained in non-APA accredited schools may have less skill, tact, etc.

The best therapists are the ones who encourage their clients not to rely on them and aim to get them back (sooner or later depending on presenting concerns) back out into the world feeling better than how they came in, as opposed to stringing them along forever hoping for continued paychecks.

If you're having trouble finding therapists, try your local university's counseling center. Most in my experience do offer cheap graduate level therapy/counseling services to the community, and you may yet request someone else if you don't click with your particular therapist. These students do great work and are supervised by a licensed clinician, so you're not just being a guinea pig for someone; you can get (mostly) good quality therapy.

Did not know, good response thanks. Not looking for a therapist, i had my fill of the mental health system. There was a counseling center at my university though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Hmm, I'm intrigued by the idea of pursuing therapy via skype or some form of teleconferencing...obviously an in person session would be better, but how is a skype therapy session?

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

I find having a professional who has insight and understanding into the way humans work who can help me understand myself and others (and in particular the ways that I view the world that I may not be aware of, core belief structures [the underlying beliefs that shape my human experience], patterns of behaviour, pulling apart situations) from another perspective is a fantastic asset. I see two psychologists, one as external supervision for my job (I work in mental health) and one for my private life and I find it invaluable. You can definitely work on some of the stuff you are aware of without a therapist, but it is quite difficult to delve into some of the hidden stuff because you will not be aware that it is even there as there are multiple levels of reasoning/emotion/beliefs that lead to the 'surface' choice.

@Tautologicus : There is an underlying level of trust that needs to be established between people in a therapeutic relationship for it to function, the guy whose job it is to assess you for the medboard isnt in the same relationship with you as a counselor/psych you are seeing who you build a relationship with. Asking is it the person or The Science - to me it is both, the mind functions on so many levels that finding approaches and people that gel with you is not an Or it is an And. We are all incredible multifaceted people, of course different bits work better for different facets of different peoples experience and understanding. I dont go to be a 'special snowflake', I go as a tool to understand myself more fully as an individual and as part of humanity. I also dont go to be rented back my dignity because there is no indignity involved. Shame is a weird thing because even talking about shame triggers more shame.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Tautologicus posted:

Did not know, good response thanks. Not looking for a therapist, i had my fill of the mental health system. There was a counseling center at my university though.

I've been to therapy, and for *me* it was a place I could go to talk about things that were bothering me, problems I was having, etc without having to burden my friends or loved ones with them, where no one would judge me, no one from my personal life would need to know. At first that was all it was for me, a sounding board like you stated, but the more I went, I'd be assigned exercises and given tools to help me beat down the things that were keeping me from happiness. For an example, I hated my corporate job and was drinking too often because it was stressing me out all this time, and my therapist started having me write down something nice that happened to me whenever it happened. This helped me focus more on all the positive things that were going on in my life, and blow off the negative. It could be something simple like " a pretty girl smiled at me" or something bigger like "found a better job". Writing down all the nice things that happened really really helped *for me*. I'd say unless you are some kind of person from Pleasantville or living in Leave it to Beaver, you'd probably benefit.

As far as finding a therapist, liken it to finding a dentist. Some dentists say this is gonna hurt! and jam a needle in and get it over with ASAP, and don't really care, and some make sure you are properly numbed, comfortable and want you to receive proper care, it may take a few tries before you find one that clicks, but when I found the right dentist, it was no longer a scary thing, it was a place I knew everything was going to be ok. Same goes for therapists, or any other profession really, I've had bad waiters at nice restaurants, and amazing waiters at chain restaurants.

• Locked thread