Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spooky girlfriend
Oct 21, 2014

Drunkboxer posted:

or that one where they embarrassingly play baseball the whole time.

you are embarrassingly wrong about that episode, it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

numberoneposter posted:

Kirk is the best captain because of that episode where this civilization has a simulated war between the two major powers but people are selected by computers on both sides to die and have to report to disintegration chambers and in order to stop this madness from happening he tells the Enterprise to glass the planet from orbit unless they agree to a peace treaty. Kirk gets what Kirk wants.

It's even better than that. He ends up destroying their computer and tells them that they have to actually fight their war. The justification being that the horrors of a real war will hopefully be an incentive to end it.
At least, that's how i remember it.

Anyway:
Picard
Kirk
Sisko
Archer ( season 3 & 4)
Kelsey Grammer

Janeway

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The Space Irish episode just came on tv.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Money has no meaning in the future so its ok if you kill a spaceship on its maiden voyage again and again, thats like spilled milk

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

That is actually a good question op, but not because Picard is a bad captain because he's an exceptional captain. It's because, despite being an excellent negotiator and diplomat he is awful at politics. He repeatedly refuses to play the game at all, which endears him to other similarly minded captains but makes him a non-starter at SFC. Every interaction he has with an admiral is with barely contained contempt, he hates schmoozing, throws boring parties grudgingly and has little patience for the shallow and ignorant. How does he convince any committee of anything? How does he prevent himself from being used as a political puppet - on a few occasions he hasn't at all.

The thing is, Riker is better at politics than he is, and he's more driven. I suspect that the reason why they kept giving Picard ships is because he's Riker's kryptonite. After getting to the Enterprise he gave all his ambition. What must have seemed like an enormous threat: talented, charming, likable, talented, handsome and sharp; incomprehensibly sequestered himself at the other end of the quadrant. He could have taken any admiral's job, annihilated whatever factions are at play, totally altering the political landscape. They would sign anything that meant keeping that singularity of devastation away.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Also, that time that Picard got turned into a kid by SPACE PLANTS, why did he change himself back? He could have doubled his lifespan by doing nothing.

Longer career = even more ships to blow up.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Volcott posted:

Also, that time that Picard got turned into a kid by SPACE PLANTS, why did he change himself back? He could have doubled his lifespan by doing nothing.

And become the thing he hates the most? I mean gently caress if he didnt wanna stay a Borg, then he CERTAINLY wouldnt wanna stay a loving child

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Volcott posted:

they should have made the kid be bald too

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

spooky girlfriend posted:

you are embarrassingly wrong about that episode, it owns

this is you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsjlTF0lEWg

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Gutcruncher posted:

And become the thing he hates the most? I mean gently caress if he didnt wanna stay a Borg, then he CERTAINLY wouldnt wanna stay a loving child

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

chaosbreather posted:

That is actually a good question op, but not because Picard is a bad captain because he's an exceptional captain. It's because, despite being an excellent negotiator and diplomat he is awful at politics. He repeatedly refuses to play the game at all, which endears him to other similarly minded captains but makes him a non-starter at SFC. Every interaction he has with an admiral is with barely contained contempt, he hates schmoozing, throws boring parties grudgingly and has little patience for the shallow and ignorant. How does he convince any committee of anything? How does he prevent himself from being used as a political puppet - on a few occasions he hasn't at all.

The thing is, Riker is better at politics than he is, and he's more driven. I suspect that the reason why they kept giving Picard ships is because he's Riker's kryptonite. After getting to the Enterprise he gave all his ambition. What must have seemed like an enormous threat: talented, charming, likable, talented, handsome and sharp; incomprehensibly sequestered himself at the other end of the quadrant. He could have taken any admiral's job, annihilated whatever factions are at play, totally altering the political landscape. They would sign anything that meant keeping that singularity of devastation away.

Tbf there's like maybe two admirals who aren't possessed by bluegill or just straight up evil, and one is bitcheyev and one helped cerberus gently caress up romulan politics, so Picard is 100% in the right. Janeway fits right in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

chaosbreather posted:

Lol. I like this post a lot.

• Locked thread