Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Bill Cowher had a lot of success but he also took like 15 years to win a Super Bowl. That's probably more patience than most front offices would show, regardless of playoff appearances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

NC-17 posted:

Bill Cowher had a lot of success but he also took like 15 years to win a Super Bowl. That's probably more patience than most front offices would show, regardless of playoff appearances.

Any other ownership and I think Cowher is gone around the time Slash was going down and it was Maddox time, would have been pretty similar to Reid's tenure in Philly length-wise.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

kalensc posted:

Any other ownership and I think Cowher is gone around the time Slash was going down and it was Maddox time, would have been pretty similar to Reid's tenure in Philly length-wise.

Its always funny to me when Steelers fans bitch about Tomlin by saying stuff like "Cowher never would have let this happen" and its like mother fucker not every season was amazing.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its always funny to me when Steelers fans bitch about Tomlin by saying stuff like "Cowher never would have let this happen" and its like mother fucker not every season was amazing.

I'm sure you felt the same way when people talked about how great Shanahan was during McDaniel's tenure.

I'm in full favor of pulling the trigger on a QB every year. The Tom-Brady-draft-a-diamond-in-the-rough plan doesn't work. Almost half of the starting QBs in the league last year were drafted in round 1 (that goes up to 60% if you include round 2). Drafting a QB round one is a weird double-edged sword: there's more pressure but they're also less likely to get yanked when they truly deserve it because their draft position needs to be justified (The Geno Smith Equation) and they are given time to develop.

If Mariota falls to 5, I think a move up is justified (2-Rd. 1s and a Rd. 2 seems fair). Mariota isn't a perfect prospect but he's the best chance (in skills and draft position) the Browns could have had at QB in years.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MonsterWalk posted:

I'm sure you felt the same way when people talked about how great Shanahan was during McDaniel's tenure.

4/10

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

MonsterWalk posted:

If Mariota falls to 54, I think a move up is justified (2-Rd. 1s and a Rd. 2 seems fair). Mariota isn't a perfect prospect but he's the best chance (in skills and draft position) the Browns could have had at QB in years.

Reggie McKenzie says :frogon:...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Tomlin has had three 0-1 playoff years whereas Cowher only had two, therefore Tomlin should be tied to a coal barge and set adrift over the dam at Emsworth and then he's Cincinnati problem.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

That's at least a 6 you shitheel.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

i laughed but really any joke about The Team Switch is at least a 5 for me

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

This past weekend, I was looking at a picture of 3 year old me from 1989 in that Bernie Kosar uniform thing for little kids (made famous from that childhood picture of Brady Quinn), and I said to me in picture: "Enjoy that, little dude. That's the best it's gonna get. "

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

MonsterWalk posted:

I'm in full favor of pulling the trigger on a QB every year.
About this, one of the few things the Browns have done well imo is move on from QBs at the right pace. Coaches, not so much, obviously. But they gave Weeden the right amount of time, Hoyer too, or even not quite enough time maybe. Manziel, if they do move on from him, I certainly saw enough. At least we don't drag our feet and pretend it's working when it isn't *glances meaningfully toward Brett Favre in more ways than one (dick) but Brett just starts talking to someone else about his loving Jeans*

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Hockles posted:

This past weekend, I was looking at a picture of 3 year old me from 1989 in that Bernie Kosar uniform thing for little kids (made famous from that childhood picture of Brady Quinn), and I said to me in picture: "Enjoy that, little dude. That's the best it's gonna get. "

👍👍👍

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
But seriously imagine if manziel turns out to be good, this redemption arc is gonna be amazing.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
What team would he be on?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Detroit_Dogg posted:

What team would he be on?

Traded to Detroit for a 3rd rounder after Stafford breaks his back doing a keg stand on his anniversary.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MonsterWalk posted:

But seriously imagine if manziel turns out to be good, this redemption arc is gonna be amazing.

I suppose it's theoretically possible for him to be swapped with a body double alien or cyborg.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Traded to Detroit for a 3rd rounder after Stafford breaks his back doing a keg stand on his anniversary.

kellen moore > manziel

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Metapod posted:

kellen moore > manziel

If scrappiness made up for a weak arm sure.

If only. :smith:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

football fuckerman posted:

the best example of this is Bill Belichick probably

Chuck Knoll too. He didn't win for 6 years, starting with 2 successive #1 overall picks. He had small successes prior, but until the 1974 draft, when they got four rookie starters that all became HoFers he won it all.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The Browns had one of the better not-QB rosters in the NFL two years ago, and TFF was really high on them. Try being a Raider fan and looking at a team that had Haden, Mack, Cameron, Gordon, Thomas, Ward, and quite a few solid contributers. They were a QB away. Hardly an example of a team that went for broke on QB and neglected everything else.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Chilichimp posted:

Speaking of the Lions, Detroit and Cleveland are not playing each other in the preseason this year. The Great Lakes Classic is no more.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Volkerball posted:

The Browns had one of the better not-QB rosters in the NFL two years ago, and TFF was really high on them. Try being a Raider fan and looking at a team that had Haden, Mack, Cameron, Gordon, Thomas, Ward, and quite a few solid contributers. They were a QB away. Hardly an example of a team that went for broke on QB and neglected everything else.

It's always sad when struggling teams get the timing right on everything but QB.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
.. thought every Texans fan the last three years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Speaking of which. I don't hate Mike Glennon as a prospect, and I think its a shame he's wasting away in Tampa because Lovie didn't like him. He's average, with a lot of room to improve but I thought someone might have offered lovie a gently caress you pick of a 6th rounder or something to see if there was something there (providing you have a half way competent offensive coordinator and or QB coach). I gotta believe he's a better option than Hoyer and Mallett or for that matter Thad Lewis and Manziel.

wasianchickn
Sep 4, 2006

welp

BlindSite posted:

Speaking of which. I don't hate Mike Glennon as a prospect, and I think its a shame he's wasting away in Tampa because Lovie didn't like him. He's average, with a lot of room to improve but I thought someone might have offered lovie a gently caress you pick of a 6th rounder or something to see if there was something there (providing you have a half way competent offensive coordinator and or QB coach). I gotta believe he's a better option than Hoyer and Mallett or for that matter Thad Lewis and Manziel.

I thought Glennon has been getting a lot of interest? Or is Lovie keeping him around in spite of that? Haven't been following that situation that closely.

As for the Texans, these are all just bridge QBs to roll with while we wait for 2017. Tom Brady will turn 40, the Patriots will release him because Belichick will promise Kraft he can win a SB with a trackling dummy under center, and finally Houston will have a real QB.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

BlindSite posted:

Lovie has been talking Glennon up for ages, but since his actions haven't reflected his words it's pretty much a given that he's trying to increase Glennon's trade value. However, Glennon is a cheap, capable back-up and the QB market is dry as hell so unless the Bucs are offered a decent mid-round pick it doesn't look like Glennon will be moved.

I like Glennon a lot so I hope he doesn't end up on a team I hate. Or the Browns, no one deserves that.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Epi Lepi posted:

Lovie has been talking Glennon up for ages, but since his actions haven't reflected his words it's pretty much a given that he's trying to increase Glennon's trade value. However, Glennon is a cheap, capable back-up and the QB market is dry as hell so unless the Bucs are offered a decent mid-round pick it doesn't look like Glennon will be moved.

I like Glennon a lot so I hope he doesn't end up on a team I hate. Or the Browns, no one deserves that.

Last year he was a backup on the Buccaneers, sooo....

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

football fuckerman posted:

Last year he was a backup on the Buccaneers, sooo....

My team is bad with a slim hope of improvement. Yours is so dysfunctional it's sad and I feel bad for every fan and every player on it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Would you guys prefer to have 1 picks in round 1 this year or somehow trade one of the picks to have a 1st for next year when there are better QBs available and we can move around?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Ehud posted:

I'll coach the Browns.

I'll take GM.

Let's go the Cleveland Goons bitch.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
For the fifth pick in the draft, the Cleveland Browns select a ham sandwich

*sandwich throws for 275 average a game and wins MVP*

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

Gatts posted:

Would you guys prefer to have 1 picks in round 1 this year or somehow trade one of the picks to have a 1st for next year when there are better QBs available and we can move around?

I'd like to get Shelton and a WR. We have a very hazy idea what the 2016 QB class will be like and I'd rather be out future-future draft picks than lose this year's.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Gatts posted:

It's far too early to know anything about next year's QB class. Remember at this time two years ago, bridgewater was going first overall. Plus as this year shows, one or two good prospects doesn't make the class good unless you have one of the top two picks anyway

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Cool cool.

Apparently part of the reason Barkevious Mingo didn't perform to expectations is because he was injured last year. If he's healthy this year I'm hoping for a lot of improvement. I'd still want an OLB and ILB this draft. Like Davis Tull and Taiwan Jones in the 4th. Or Shelton and Bud Dupree and then go for a WR in the 2nd or 3rd. I'd also prefer Shelton over a WR at 12.

http://www.chatsports.com/cleveland-browns/a/Browns-defensive-coaches-amped-up-about-Barkevious-Mingo-Pierre-Desir-1-11302998

quote:

O’Neil’s answers: outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo and cornerback Pierre Desir.

Not many know this, but Mingo’s nagging shoulder injury happened on the second play of the season against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Instead of opting for season-ending surgery, Mingo played through the pain, often times restricting himself to using just one arm on the football field.

“It was so disappointing because I really liked how he was coming on through the preseason and all of training camp,” O’Neil said. “I see him downstairs every day rehabbing his [tail] off.”

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Tomorrow we witness the public execution of a national treasure.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Browns are putting on a fashion show and you're all invited

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/2015-uniform-reveal.html

They're having 9 players and 9 former players wear the uniforms.

The list of nine players who will model the jerseys are: Joe Thomas, Donte Whitner, Karlos Dansby, Barkevious Mingo, Dwayne Bowe, Brian Hartline, Armonty Bryant, Chris Kirksey and Taylor Gabriel.

Nine different alumni will also stroll down the orange carpet Tuesday, including Hall of Famer Jim Brown, Greg Pruitt, Hanford Dixon, Jamel White, Dan Fike, Bob Golic, John Thierry, Felix Wright and Kevin Mack.

Also, there are 9 different color combinations.

9 players, 9 former players, 9 color combinations. Simply flip those numbers upside down and you will know the truth.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I'm gonna be home for this... :getin:

Also, a 2nd store tried to sell those Orange jerseys:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/04/did_columbus_store_just_confir.html

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Uniform changes are weird. After a few games you don't even think about the old stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

Uniform changes are weird. After a few games you don't even think about the old stuff.

I will never stop thinking about the dolphin losing his helmet sorry

• Locked thread