Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
This seems to be a brand new phenomenon in games that I haven't really noticed until I played through AC4: Black Flag recently. But basically, companion apps are apps for your phone or your tablet that are linked to the main game in some way. Sometimes it can be as simple as a map on a second screen, other times it can be a minigame that helps you in the main game, or it could be both. Almost all of them I have found are grindy poo poo. These are a few of the ones I have messed with:

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag: This one wasn't so bad. It allows you to access a map screen and lets you play the Kenway's fleet minigame when you are away from your console. I actually used this one quite a bit since you can make shitloads of money from playing the minigame and it requires little effort on your part. I used it primarily for upgrading my ship since the upgrades could get expensive.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes: I thought this one was pretty useless. It has a minigame that supposedly will unlock stuff in the Phantom Pain and allows you to use your tablet as a map. It functions ok as a map, but unless you have a second person looking at it, it really doesn't help much since you have to take your eyes off the screen to look at the tablet. I think I used it once for the novelty of it and never touched it again. I had a hard time getting into the minigame considering that it doesn't really give you anything and its such a bland experience, so why bother.

Far Cry 4: Arena Master: This one only has one good use, and that is to get to level 10 of the arena in the main game. You seem to level up a lot faster in the app than in game. I am pretty sure there are more strategies than spamming the same unit over and over against the first 3 guys, but ill be damned if I was going to bother trying to do so. You also have to recruit people on the main map but I barely spent much time in it since if you play properly, you won't really lose any guys. It does seem like they put some effort into making it and it isn't completely boring. Even still, I played this for about the hour and a half that I needed to get to rank 10 and never touched it again.

Watch Dogs: Companion App: I think this is mainly to play the CtOS mobile challenge, which I did the tutorial for and never touched it again. It does look more interesting since you are actually playing against a live player who is in-game. But I never got the time to mess with it since I hated Watch Dogs.

Dying Light Companion App: This is a grindy minigame that tasks you with sending out teams on missions. There are two stats that boil down to combat and agility and each stat is good for a certain type of mission. Upon completion of a mission, your team loses a preset amount of HP depending on how far below the mission parameters your team was. You also gain either items that you either use to complete other missions in the companion app or items that you can use in-game. The main problem I have with it is that you can send your guys out and come back with nothing not to mention that all of the decent loot is hidden in the missions way later in the app, which if you play legit will take you about a week of actual playing to get to. By that time, you have more than enough poo poo in the main game to where you don't even need to bother. It also seems to be quite buggy for me at times with the stat page glitching out.

Those are the companion apps that I know of. Are there anymore out there? What do they do? I know Destiny has one, but I never bother with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag: This one wasn't so bad. It allows you to access a map screen and lets you play the Kenway's fleet minigame when you are away from your console. I actually used this one quite a bit since you can make shitloads of money from playing the minigame and it requires little effort on your part. I used it primarily for upgrading my ship since the upgrades could get expensive.
I liked this one well enough, then they completely hosed up the companion app for Unity with a much more obnoxious mini game and by making it mandatory to get certain items in the main game.

quote:

Those are the companion apps that I know of. Are there anymore out there? What do they do? I know Destiny has one, but I never bother with that one.
Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus had an endless runner companion app that let you transfer bolts you acquired in the mobile game into the main game. Knack had a decent match 3 game as a companion app that let you unlock parts for that game's lovely upgrade system.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

J-Spot posted:

I liked this one well enough, then they completely hosed up the companion app for Unity with a much more obnoxious mini game and by making it mandatory to get certain items in the main game.

Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus had an endless runner companion app that let you transfer bolts you acquired in the mobile game into the main game. Knack had a decent match 3 game as a companion app that let you unlock parts for that game's lovely upgrade system.

Black flag's was good for the simple fact that it was unintrusive. Plus it was a handy way to make money while away from the game

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Black flag's was good for the simple fact that it was unintrusive. Plus it was a handy way to make money while away from the game

Did it work with the Wii U version? I didn't even know there was one.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

I've been messing around a little bit with the Dying Light companion app. It's pretty simple and half an hour of messing with it scored me a bunch of medkits and crafting parts for the real game, which was useful early on. I can definitely see it losing it's usefulness later in the game, but it was handy at first.

gay skull posted:

I haven't tried it, but the description for the app in the store says it's compatible with all versions of Black Flag.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

gay skull posted:

Should work. It connects through uplay

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

GTA5 had a companion app, I think it let you become friends with a dog :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Stoat posted:

GTA5 had a companion app, I think it let you become friends with a dog :3:

Who then took you to secrets. Chop is the best.

• Locked thread