Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
http://rpmchallenge.com/
http://fawm.org/

Anybody else participating in either of these? I'm doing RPM, to make up for a few years back when I got about halfway done and then quit.

Currently have about 15 minutes of instruments tracked, as well as some vocals, for a prog-rock concept album about time travel. I've really impressed myself so far with what I've gotten down. Having the time restraint has been so helpful to get inspired and recording every day, and it's coming along very nicely. I think I'll definitely finish this time.

Who's in? What are you doing? Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I've got a bunch of stuff lined up and ready to record, but I think I'm going to give it a bit of a longer schedule. Last time I did the RPM thing it was a great opportunity to get poo poo done, but I sacrificed quite a bit of quality in order to be done by the end of Feb.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

snorch posted:

I've got a bunch of stuff lined up and ready to record, but I think I'm going to give it a bit of a longer schedule. Last time I did the RPM thing it was a great opportunity to get poo poo done, but I sacrificed quite a bit of quality in order to be done by the end of Feb.

I tried RPM last year but didn't like having to sacrifice quality as much as I did. I ended up releasing a 7 song album that I finished in July which originated from RPM. Although I had 10 songs written I didn't want to rush to record them just so turn in 10 songs of crap, so I took my time and released a proper album.

I like the idea of RPM but only as a springboard for ideas. You can't rush recording.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

snorch posted:

Last time I did the RPM thing it was a great opportunity to get poo poo done, but I sacrificed quite a bit of quality in order to be done by the end of Feb.

Yeah, I do feel like I'm rushing right now. Have six tracks, four of which need vocals still, and that part takes me the longest. I won't be torn up if I don't finish it by the end of the month. Managing to get this much done in such a short time is making it well worth it for me.

Trillaphon
Jul 18, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Yeah, I do feel like I'm rushing right now. Have six tracks, four of which need vocals still, and that part takes me the longest. I won't be torn up if I don't finish it by the end of the month. Managing to get this much done in such a short time is making it well worth it for me.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I'm feeling at this point - I've never really done anything like this before, but a buddy and I decided to try a hail mary at it this year...we basically forgot it existed until a few days ago, so we didn't have a chance to get any of our poo poo started until the 9th, and I'm kinda skeptical that we'll actually end up finishing all of it (at least to the point where it'll be good enough to really sit down and listen to), but we're hoping to at least get a few solid new tracks out of it by the end. At the very least it's a great excuse to force yourself to sit down and actually get some poo poo recorded on the clock, and for us so far that extra motivational jolt has been really good for getting the creative juices flowing. :gitgud:

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

For some reason I didn't think to check if there was a FAWM thread here until now. Anyway, I've been participating in that one (didn't even know about RPM until now) and rather successfully. My goals for this year were to do more than last year (0:43 of lovely riffs) and to do something that could be scavenged for my band later. Both goals have been met and I still need to write one more song to reach the 14 song goal.

Here's my stuff if anyone's interested: http://fawm.org/fawmers/hmorg/

Edit: Whoops, left the url unparsed.

Also VVV Thanks!

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 25, 2015

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Awesome, dude! It's definitely a huge accomplishment to get that done. Songs sound hella sweet too, so good job!

I've definitely slowed down a lot. I've realized that I want to spend far more time with the songs I've recorded than I have left in the month, so I'm basically calling the challenge complete. Ten tracks recorded, running about 25 minutes. I'll spend the rest of the week mixing and tweaking what I have, and then work on making it a proper album over the next however-long-it-takes-me. It feels great to have been so productive in such a short time.

The deadline, and self-imposed creative limitations (namely, basing the entire album around the same set of chords and trying to keep the music thematically consistent) has really led to some interesting things. I'm very pleased with my work this month. :)

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Alright, it's over now and I managed the 14 songs. Somehow I'm extra proud of the final track, I think it's pretty much all usable material for my band later on.

Now to remind myself how to play them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I ended up with 10 instrumental tracks totaling 29 minutes. I don't consider any of them complete, so I can't say I actually pulled off the challenge, but technically... ;) Anyway that's more music in 28 days than I recorded all of last year, so not much to complain about.

• Locked thread