Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
While probably a bigger problem in the third world...

My state doesn't do emissions testing and people love their lifted diesel trucks and ancient straight piped vehicles that bypass the catalytic converter or just don't maintain them.

Anytime I switch my car from recirculate on the vents I get a big whiff of nastier than normal exhaust from a vehicle a few car lengths in front of me pretty quick.

Sucks when I just need a little defrost action, I'm perhaps more sensitive to those smells than most.

Thankfully opening a window or 2 a few inches can clear the smell out pretty quick or even lingering skunk smells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I watched a video on a charming old Japanese barber giving someone a haircut and now I am drowning in ASMR videos.

I have blocked over 50 channels today and cleared my history it's still not stopping. From creepy videos where some lady stares into the camera while pretending to comb your hair and breathing heavily into a microphone, to horrifying chiropractic videos where they go apeshit on someone's spine with a wooden mallet.

I always thought youtube was 90% disgusting right wing influencers and AI abominations for children. I was wrong, it's all ASMR and I hate it.

I just wanted a nice video to have on in the background while I cooked tea.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have a funny one, at work I keep getting words mixed up as I keep forgetting the word Landscaping, so it comes out as "OK, so you are using the soil to build a pond, so that's using waste products for terraforming..."

I don't know why, my brain just goes to terraforming before landscaping, like my customers are calling from Mars.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I have blocked over 50 channels today and cleared my history it's still not stopping.

That's weird - removing a video from history has always worked for me.

If you're on a computer, install the Blocktube extension and put "ASMR" as one of the words to block.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thanks, will do.

I think removing the original video from my history didn't work because youtube put in a bunch of ASMR poo poo in the 'shorts' category and even immediately scrolling past them counts as watching.

I think I'm all clear now, though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Meanwhile my problem with ASMR is that I really appreciate the good stuff (it helps me wind down and get to sleep when my brain's going brrrr), but finding it in the sea of all the weird poo poo is such a huge chore.

More generally, it also peeves me that the originally perfectly innocuous (if quirky) phenomenon has been completely tarnished by loving weirdos.

All it is, is that for some people, certain kinds of sounds or other stimuli trigger a peculiar feeling that is very soothing and relaxing. And "real" ASMR videos merely aim to do that. That is it, that is seriously all there is to it. But no, The Internet had to loving cargo cult the whole thing into an incomprehensible mess and now we have streams of e-girls licking their microphones for three hours.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Never turn on your watch history and cruise Youtube as a frictionless sphere

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thanks, will do.

I think removing the original video from my history didn't work because youtube put in a bunch of ASMR poo poo in the 'shorts' category and even immediately scrolling past them counts as watching.

I think I'm all clear now, though.

Who watches youtube shorts?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wesleywillis posted:

I bought a boat recently.
It has a radio. I haven't had tons of time with it yet, but it appears that there is no way to switch between folders when I plug a USB stick in to it, so I have a USB stick with close to 900 songs on it separated by genera like reggae, rock, hip hop etc... But if I want to listen to a specific song instead of switching between folders I have to hit the button like 469 times or whatever the gently caress.

UPDATE!!!!!!!

So a few weeks ago I deleted the music that was on the usb stick and decided that since the boat radio doesn't seem to recognize folders, I would instead still create folders but only put 100 songs in each one and then I still have to hit the skip button a shitload of times, but I would know that Reggae "folder" starts at track 400, Blues at track 200 and so on.

Except now I'm having trouble getting that many songs in each folder. Only one so far actually has that many. the others have between 60-80.
I really hate the idea of padding them just to add up to 100 in each. I could always pare them down to like 75 in each folder, but then I have to do math in my head without a calculator. I'm also not smart enough to do the phone blue tooth thing and don't want to kill my phone battery out on the water.

But I gotta have TUNES BRO!!

HASHTAG first world problems.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

wesleywillis posted:

UPDATE!!!!!!!

So a few weeks ago I deleted the music that was on the usb stick and decided that since the boat radio doesn't seem to recognize folders, I would instead still create folders but only put 100 songs in each one and then I still have to hit the skip button a shitload of times, but I would know that Reggae "folder" starts at track 400, Blues at track 200 and so on.

Except now I'm having trouble getting that many songs in each folder. Only one so far actually has that many. the others have between 60-80.
I really hate the idea of padding them just to add up to 100 in each. I could always pare them down to like 75 in each folder, but then I have to do math in my head without a calculator. I'm also not smart enough to do the phone blue tooth thing and don't want to kill my phone battery out on the water.

But I gotta have TUNES BRO!!

HASHTAG first world problems.

Do blocks of fifty, it'll make the math easy and you can give a genre two folders or break out into subgenres to fit more.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Do blocks of fifty, it'll make the math easy and you can give a genre two folders or break out into subgenres to fit more.

I've thought of just doing 50 songs, but that would be stretching it for some genres. I'd have to leave out some good poo poo.
But then I have such ADD I'm constantly looking for that total banger.
So gently caress, maybe 50 would work.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You could always just use 10 different USB sticks, plugged into a multi-USB port with individual on/off switches

:v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

You could always just use 10 different USB sticks, plugged into a multi-USB port with individual on/off switches

:v:

That's a stupid, but genuinely workable solution to a stupid problem. I approve.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Atticus_1354 posted:

Who watches youtube shorts?

They're handy as a quick video to see if it might be worth checking out the channel. Usually, for me anyway, they're people making and fixing cool stuff. Which is what I want.

Only, every video you scroll past counts as watched, as far as I can tell. So, when youtube throws a curveball, you can very quickly end up with your curated feed turned to poo poo.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Only, every video you scroll past counts as watched, as far as I can tell.

IIRC they made it so when you hover & see the preview for a couple seconds it counts as "watched". Sucks having to go back through all that crap & do the whole "don't recommend this" on videos I don't want.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

My state doesn't do emissions testing and people love their lifted diesel trucks and ancient straight piped vehicles that bypass the catalytic converter or just don't maintain them.

:same: Here they don't do emissions nor do they inspect anything else. Real fun watching these barely-held-together shitbox jalopies cruising around leaving nothing but acrid smoke & piles of rust behind.

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Jan 25, 2024

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Megillah Gorilla posted:

They're handy as a quick video to see if it might be worth checking out the channel. Usually, for me anyway, they're people making and fixing cool stuff. Which is what I want.

Only, every video you scroll past counts as watched, as far as I can tell. So, when youtube throws a curveball, you can very quickly end up with your curated feed turned to poo poo.

Blocktube will also kill Shorts entirely if you want it to.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

gschmidl posted:

Blocktube will also kill Shorts entirely if you want it to.

I'm not that frustrated with the Sunday crossword

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I managed to get all my folders except 1 down to 75 songs each.
The one has 150 songs. That was difficult because it encompasses stuff from the late 50s up to the late 90s or early 00's.

In other new those five times father hosed plumber bastards seem to have forgotten to turn the fuckin hot water back on after they did some work in my building today.

I just tried to wash my rear end before bed and my fuckin balls are frozen.

My morning shower is going to put me in a really bad mood for work.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
A friend of mine is having a party next Saturday but I want it to be this Saturday :mad:

Also my brother claims to have mailed me a Christmas gift three weeks ago (was traveling on the day proper) and it still hasn't shown up. The gifts for my wife and our son arrived just fine though!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This great feeling of anticipation as you wait is the gift!
Imagine, right now the gift could be anything. If you actually get it, it can only drain the infinite ocean of possibilities..

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Having to relive the childhood pain of your parent wanting to go to a home supply store but now it's because they want your input on faucets and it's been 30 minutes of parent laughing with the sales person about the poo poo on their desk and next we can look at sinks!

It's Saturday. Why is this place a retiree country club?

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Gotta turn off video previews to keep that from happening. I want to say there was a way to go back to the old 3 second preview which wouldn't count as viewing the video, but they keep changing poo poo so I don't know if it's possible anymore.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
I can't help but notice that when I moved back to the city I was born in we had two earthquakes and a mass shooting.

Now that I've left it seems everybody there is doing really well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My brother's de facto made a joke about marriage on her social media and I commented that I consider her to be my SIL even though they still haven't gotten married which apparently set off a huge amount of drama because she told everyone back in the old country that she was married but hadn't told anyone over here.

Mayyyyyyyyyyyyybe she should have told us if it was going to be such a huge problem?? :shrug:

E: I guess this is technically a 3rd world problem

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
What good is it to get two keys for a rental car, if both keys are bound together in a permanent way?

The last two times I rented a car, both keys were on an unopenable braided steel loop. I resolved the situation by going into a hardware store and clipping the loop with a pair of pliers.

Thanks Alamo!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

aardwolf posted:

I can't help but notice that when I moved back to the city I was born in we had two earthquakes and a mass shooting.

Now that I've left it seems everybody there is doing really well.

have you considered not quaking the earth

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I drive for work, so I am pretty aware of all the loving insane things to distract you. But when I am a passenger, for some reason I just cannot have the radio on, while the driver talks to me; I can't focus when both radio and driver are talking over each other. I don't know if it's the "driver controls the radio" and the driver in question will literally never turn OFF the radio, just scan through the 6 stations every 5 seconds maximum for at least two run throughs. There has to be a term for this.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Some guys are doing maintenance on the building’s power meters. The occasional power cuts mean I’ve had to gently caress about on the internet today on 4G instead of my home wifi.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Saw a friend while looking for parking last night, but by the time I found a spot they had already walked off (and also I saw them while in traffic so I couldn't just stop and say hey).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My mom has been driving me crazy with this loving kitchen redo, which we talked down to new countertops, a new sink and dishwasher. It's been two months since the dishwasher died and it's been hell ever since.

So my friend texts me today and says if I can housesit for him, be a nice way to get away from the remodel insanity. It'll be in a few weeks, so...in theory after everything is done. In theory. Except he's living in a new place, his old one was like 10 minutes away. This one is about 30. And it's not house sit. It's pet sit his two dogs and cat, and his girlfriend's two cats, and keep them company. In addition to, you know, taking care of all of my own pets.

I don't understand how this is a nice way to take a break if I have to run two households of animal chores. The first time I petsat for him, it was a favor because his other sitter canceled, and he had nonrefundable tickets. This is for visiting a friend in another state. And it was still pretty loving nasty because his two dogs were locked up all day and the pee/poop pads had to be changed twice a day.

Meanwhile on Sunday I had asked him if he could maybe check over something/be a backup in case we needed help with the sink install; he's a handyman, and of course we'd pay him. He admitted he had hurt his shoulder and was taking time off work. Okay cool. But to literally ask me the next day to pet sit for him for days without pay? Am I crazy or is that a big loving favor to ask someone?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Cowslips Warren posted:

But to literally ask me the next day to pet sit for him for days without pay? Am I crazy or is that a big loving favor to ask someone?

You can say no. Just say no.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

You can say no. Just say no.

I did. He was surprised, which made me laugh. Like, here, as a favor to do, here's a house of animals to take care of, plus your own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just when I thought I had gotten out, Easter brought back youtube ASMR horrors beyond the ken of us mere mortals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiLnlL5x6rg&t=777s

If anyone needs me, I'll be deleting my youtube account and screaming in my closet for the next week.