Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I caught chickenpox when I was about 10 and spread it to my other siblings. When this measles/anti-vax thing broke I told my mom I felt pretty bad about that and she just called me a moron - she did it on purpose because apparently it's better to have chickenpox when you're young than when you're old.

I don't know anymore. I did get all the rest of my vaccinations AFAIK.

Before the vaccine was invented (in the '80s) this was a valid strategy as there is a much higher chance of death if you catch it as an adult. After the vaccine became widely available (Wikipedia says 1995 in the US) this is bad because after overcoming the disease you get the post infection immunity but you also get a ~20% chance of developing shingles when you get old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ArbitraryC posted:

Why is this a thing in medical related professions.

Because their time is more important than yours. My wife's doctor says, "show up for 11:30am. We arrive at 11:00am and she ends up getting seen by the doctor anywhere between 12:00-1:30 because the doctor tells 15 people to show up are 11:30, and it doesn't matter what order you show up in either, they just call names at random.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

Blistex posted:

Because their time is more important than yours. My wife's doctor says, "show up for 11:30am. We arrive at 11:00am and she ends up getting seen by the doctor anywhere between 12:00-1:30 because the doctor tells 15 people to show up are 11:30, and it doesn't matter what order you show up in either, they just call names at random.

At least where I go to the doctor, the delays are from people who:

- show up late
- show up before their appointment, but have insurance shenanigans to deal with
- have some serious issue which takes the doctor longer to deal with
- get squeezed in between normal appointments, usually because of something semi-serious

I have resorted to just e-mailing my Doctor, or just go to urgent care about 15 minutes before it opens in the morning. They usually let people in early to get checked in and you get seen pretty much right away.

As for vaccinations, my kid got chickenpox because she came in contact with an infected child that was about 3 years overdue for vaccination. Luckily, her symptoms were mild and only bothered her for a day or so, I guess the first vaccine helped in that regard.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NYT had a cool interactive map:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/02/06/us/california-measles-vaccines-map.html?_r=0

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Top City Homo posted:

it gets much higher with age and if you have a kid in your 30s-40s you are basically rolling loaded dice on retardation
Is that why your posts are so bad?

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

The natural chickenpox virus IS shingles. Its a herpes virus so after initial infection (chicken pox) it lies dormant in your neural tissue until for some unknown reason it flares up again and fucks you up

right, i misspoke there. i meant the 20% chance of shingles later on is better than catching chickenpox or shingles as an adult, which was much more likely to happen before the vaccine came around. if my parents knew that a vaccine would be available 5 years later i doubt they would've intentionally exposed me.

i actually talked to my parents about vaccinations the other day, both my mom and step-dad had the mumps abd measles and said it was horribly lovely and my grandfather had a business partner who was paralyzed by polio. their parents didn't think twice about vaccinating and neither did mine since they had either first or second hand experience with how lovely these diseases are. maybe after a few kids die in these anti-vaxxer circles they will change their minds.

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 13, 2015

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Blistex posted:

Today I showed up at 8:00 for an 8:30am appt and got everything done by 8:30.

When I came out there was a shitton more people in the waiting room. I woulda been there forever.

and That's my story.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
the doctors and understudies were belligerent assholes tho and were mocking their patients within earshot

but doctors are assholes and nurses do all the work

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Al Nipper posted:

the doctors and understudies were belligerent assholes tho and were mocking their patients within earshot

but doctors are assholes and nurses do all the work

Nurses are also assholes, it's actually assholes all the way down

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rod Munch posted:

At least where I go to the doctor, the delays are from people who:

- show up late
- show up before their appointment, but have insurance shenanigans to deal with
- have some serious issue which takes the doctor longer to deal with
- get squeezed in between normal appointments, usually because of something semi-serious

I have resorted to just e-mailing my Doctor, or just go to urgent care about 15 minutes before it opens in the morning. They usually let people in early to get checked in and you get seen pretty much right away.

As for vaccinations, my kid got chickenpox because she came in contact with an infected child that was about 3 years overdue for vaccination. Luckily, her symptoms were mild and only bothered her for a day or so, I guess the first vaccine helped in that regard.

Basically most regular doctors are now employees of giant companies that follow the Comcast model of scheduling and labor relations (I.e. squeeze em, gently caress em, and gently caress the customer too)

So for instance they intentionally overbook assuming a certain percent of no shows so if everyone actually shows up they're hosed. And every person gets like 20 min no matter what they have and if it takes more time than that well either do a lovely job or put in more of your own time

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Secks Cauldron posted:

Is that why your posts are so bad?

my mom had me when she was 19

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Top City Homo posted:

My mom had me when she was 15.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I went to Helen Wilcox Elementary in Oroville, CA. They're 97% vaccinated, and that area is loving poor. What's your excuse, charter schools?

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

The Taint Reaper posted:

My mom had me when she was 15.

hot mom

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Idiot Kicker posted:

I went to Helen Wilcox Elementary in Oroville, CA. They're 97% vaccinated, and that area is loving poor. What's your excuse, charter schools?

their excuse that they are an elaborate scam

hth

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
like, can you even somehow get injected with something and suddenly get autism? obviously the vaccine poo poo is all lies but i mean like i thought autism was something you were genetically predisposed to? like you can't eat some pills, or bump your head and oops suddenly :spergin:? It's not like catching a cold or some poo poo, it involves brain chemistry and all that bullshit yeah?

basically gently caress anti-vaccine people

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

like, can you even somehow get injected with something and suddenly get autism? obviously the vaccine poo poo is all lies but i mean like i thought autism was something you were genetically predisposed to? like you can't eat some pills, or bump your head and oops suddenly :spergin:? It's not like catching a cold or some poo poo, it involves brain chemistry and all that bullshit yeah?

first symptoms of autism roughly same time as vaccinations = omg vaccinations cause autism

people are that dumb

but that's not surprising if you consider:
people play more video games + violent crime declines = omg video games cause violence

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Light Gun Man posted:

It is genetic, but people like Jenny McCarthy don't want to admit they gave their kids hosed-up genes. Autistic children often start developing normally but then start retreating into themselves, so it's understandable that parents would assume that vaccines somehow caused the radical change in their child's personality.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I commented on a video by that doctor who created the anti-vaxx study and it turns out that when you say something based in reality all the crazies come out and my comments caused a flew of replies. It's down to only a few guys trying to "debate" with me now, and normally I wouldn't even have an internet back and forth, but it's so embarrassingly easy to show them how wrong they are, like debating with a literal 5 year old.

All of their responses end with the equivalent to *mike drop* :smuggo: after they've linked some badly written article on some obscure site, but if you copy and paste parts of it you get links to sites that have real news and doctors on them and you find out that their article left out massive details in order to make it seem like vaccines are at fault for poo poo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is how it works in those vacuums. I announce I am trolling them because there is no other viewpoint and they either give me paragraphs of insults or take me seriously.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Idiot Kicker posted:

charter schools tends to attract the the rich helicopter parent.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Top City Homo posted:

Okay, so must be due to drug and alcohol use and/or damaged chromosomes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pththya-lyi posted:

It is genetic, but people like Jenny McCarthy don't want to admit they gave their kids hosed-up genes. Autistic children often start developing normally but then start retreating into themselves, so it's understandable that parents would assume that vaccines somehow caused the radical change in their child's personality.

it might also be interaction between genes and environment, but usually stuff like that happens in the womb

like the hypothesis that autism is a combination of genes + antidepressants durign pregnancy is interesting because antidepressants mess with brain chemistry and their effects on pregnant women/developing brains is not well studied.

vaccines and children? not so much, it's extensively studied and theres no connection

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I actually did have a serious reaction to the DPT vaccine when I was a kid.

But because my parents weren't retards, and the doctors said it was 90% likely due to the Pertussis part the next booster they just gave me the Diphtheria and Tetanus parts and waited around the doctor's office for a few hours to make sure I didn't die. Having a father who is deaf in one ear thanks to the measles sure made them take vaccination seriously.

And they figured I'd be fine on the whooping cough part anyway thanks to herd immunity because who would be stupid enough to not try and vaccinate their kids? :downs:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I actually did have a serious reaction to the DPT vaccine when I was a kid.

But because my parents weren't retards, and the doctors said it was 90% likely due to the Pertussis part the next booster they just gave me the Diphtheria and Tetanus parts and waited around the doctor's office for a few hours to make sure I didn't die. Having a father who is deaf in one ear thanks to the measles sure made them take vaccination seriously.

And they figured I'd be fine on the whooping cough part anyway thanks to herd immunity because who would be stupid enough to not try and vaccinate their kids? :downs:

Well some people aren't stupid jst super selfish. There's a certain percebt of adverse reactions so the best is for everyone else to get vaccinated but not your kid since then you can enjoy herd immunity without the risk. This breaK's down when enofh people don't vaccinatw that you lose herd immunity now everyone's hosed especially people like the guy above who can't get vaccinated for things

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Mange Mite posted:

Well some people aren't stupid jst super selfish. There's a certain percebt of adverse reactions so the best is for everyone else to get vaccinated but not your kid since then you can enjoy herd immunity without the risk. This breaK's down when enofh people don't vaccinatw that you lose herd immunity now everyone's hosed especially people like the guy above who can't get vaccinated for things

phoneposting.txt

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pivotal Lever posted:

phoneposting.txt

You were obviously vaccinated. :spergin:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

lets go back to the days when we were pro-active about treating autism, by giving them high doses of LSD, instead of reactive by blaming it on unrelated disease prevention, imo.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Blistex posted:

You were obviously vaccinated. :spergin:

i just want everyone to know i am pro-family and anti-drug. now if you'll excuse me, i have some train timetables to review for errors.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Bloody vaccinate your bloody kids you bloody idiots. (Sing along!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YCGMqp6kBE

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Secks Cauldron posted:

Okay, so must be due to drug and alcohol use and/or damaged chromosomes.

nope she married a member of the russian communist party

and had it made until it all fell apart

sorry america doesn't support its teenage mothers

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I got caught up in a stupid Youtube comments thing on vaccines that ended up becoming an argument over grammar with a guy and then things got really weird and I had to ease off the guy and put a happy spin on things as I bowed out because it became obvious that he was really unstable. Not in an angry stupid Youtuber way, in a "I don't want this guy having a burning grudge against me for years and one day I get shot in my driveway" kind of way.

That's my story

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Mange Mite posted:

it might also be interaction between genes and environment, but usually stuff like that happens in the womb

like the hypothesis that autism is a combination of genes + antidepressants durign pregnancy is interesting because antidepressants mess with brain chemistry and their effects on pregnant women/developing brains is not well studied.

If you read Irish folktales, and even local folklore, you can see that many stories about fairy changelings are actually about mental illness or brain damage. Concussions, illnesses, psychological traumas--anything that would affect someone's cognitive abilities or personality--would be explained as someone being switched out with a sickly fairy. One of the more common motifs is the one of a toddler who was bright and bubbly one day, then "took ill" overnight and became feeble-minded. The descriptions of children supposedly switched out with changelings are consistent with the symptoms of autism.

So basically, autism has always been with us. Because of the filthy Irish and their degenerate genes.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Bobbie Wickham posted:

If you read Irish folktales, and even local folklore, you can see that many stories about fairy changelings are actually about mental illness or brain damage. Concussions, illnesses, psychological traumas--anything that would affect someone's cognitive abilities or personality--would be explained as someone being switched out with a sickly fairy. One of the more common motifs is the one of a toddler who was bright and bubbly one day, then "took ill" overnight and became feeble-minded. The descriptions of children supposedly switched out with changelings are consistent with the symptoms of autism.

So basically, autism has always been with us. Because of the filthy Irish and their degenerate genes.

finally, we go to the root of the problem

cant wait for you to write a research paper and have a tv celebrity instigate lynch mobs against the irish

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Apparently Naturopathic "Doctors" and Chiropractors are giving out homeopathic vaccines. Real doctors have stated that, "these are literally not vaccines in any way shape or form, and have absolutely no medicinal value whatsoever". Which ironically enough is high praise to the nutjobs that use them.

Just when you think you've depleted the stupid mine, you hit the motherload. Link to story

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Top City Homo posted:

finally, we go to the root of the problem

cant wait for you to write a research paper and have a tv celebrity instigate lynch mobs against the irish

The wee baby Seamus :ohdear:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The "cure" for these changelings often involves putting the child in a lit oven or throwing it in a river. At that moment the fairy parents show up to whisk their changeling away, leave the healthy child they kidnapped in its place. God only knows how many mothers killed their kids following these stories :stonk:

The other way is by doing something weird in front of the changeling, like trying to cook in eggshells. The changeling will say something like, "drat, I've seen a lot of crazy poo poo in my time but never anything like that!" Then it will know it's been made

Also a lot of adult autists (adultists?) identify with changelings, feeling like they've been placed in a world that isn't theirs and where they don't fully belong. Also with aliens, for much the same reason (the autism discussion page WrongPlanet.net is based on this idea).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pththya-lyi posted:

The "cure" for these changelings often involves putting the child in a lit oven or throwing it in a river. At that moment the fairy parents show up to whisk their changeling away, leave the healthy child they kidnapped in its place. God only knows how many mothers killed their kids following these stories :stonk:

I think killing handicapped children was pretty common in ye olden times. Same with twins

• Locked thread