Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Is there a (free) program that will backup my files the way they are on my PC and overwrite when I alter them rather than saving multiple versions? I kind of assumed this was what backup programs did but have now realised this is not the case (Windows Backup makes a restore file, Seagate Dashboard creates a ton of unnecessary files and directories every time you change a single file.) I just want to save all my poo poo and be able to go into my external drive and see it all there, in the same order, and updated. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

code:
robocopy c:\users\AI2001 f:\backup\users\AI2001 /E /Z
Swap /MIR for /E if you want to delete files on the backup that you delete from the source. Put it on a scheduled task to run however often you want. But, that shouldn't be your only backup solution. This doesn't protect you from accidentally deleting a paragraph from a Word document and saving over it. And it most certainly won't protect you from Cryptolocker. VSS previous versions might help with the first problem, but still not with Cryptolocker.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

You kill an IT nerd's puppy for every time you call synchronised folders a backup.

Very happy with SyncBack Free for syncing folders.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
SyncToy is pretty simple.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=15155

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Al2001 posted:

Is there a (free) program that will backup my files the way they are on my PC and overwrite when I alter them rather than saving multiple versions? I kind of assumed this was what backup programs did

That behavior would be a horrible bug in any real backup application. You don't want to back up anything, you just want folder sync.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Thanks for the info guys.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Yeah, SyncToy.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Erwin posted:

This doesn't protect you from accidentally deleting a paragraph from a Word document and saving over it. And it most certainly won't protect you from Cryptolocker.

What's recommended for these cases?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

open container posted:

What's recommended for these cases?

Shadow Copies or what they call previous versions in File Explorer.

It snapshots your drives at set intervals.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Or, you know, real backups

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Al2001 posted:

Is there a (free) program that will backup my files the way they are on my PC and overwrite when I alter them rather than saving multiple versions? I kind of assumed this was what backup programs did but have now realised this is not the case (Windows Backup makes a restore file, Seagate Dashboard creates a ton of unnecessary files and directories every time you change a single file.) I just want to save all my poo poo and be able to go into my external drive and see it all there, in the same order, and updated. Any recommendations?

Kinda defeats the purpose of a backup if you can't use it to pull back something you done hosed up.

I got hit with crytpowall last week and a backup that acted like this would have hosed me raw (And probably gotten me fired).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've been contemplating starting a general Backup Thread for a while. Would there be interest in that?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I've been contemplating starting a general Backup Thread for a while. Would there be interest in that?

Just backing up this post for later.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Syncback free is excellent.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh my yes. Seeing what decent backup software is around for home users for a start would be worthwhile. Also, just seeing what people's backup setups look like is helpful.

I have been utterly drooling at the sight of the 8TB Seagate drives that are hitting the market recently at great prices. 4 of those puppies in a nice compact RAID5 NAS box and I can replace my bulky-rear end current backup machines.

• Locked thread