Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/02/11/hachiko-japans-most-loyal-dog-finally-reunited-with-owner-in-heartwarming-new-statue-in-tokyo/

quote:

The Akita dog touched the hearts of people across the nation by devotedly waiting every day for more than nine years in front of Tokyo’s Shibuya Station for his master to return from work, not knowing that he had died from a cerebral hemorrhage and wouldn’t be coming back.

Today, a statue of Hachiko stands in Shibuya, showing the dog patiently waiting. But while the bittersweet quality of the story made Hachiko famous, it overlooks the fact that before his master’s passing, the two would happily reunite every evening and walk home together. Now, it’s that moment’s turn to be immortalized, with a new statue showing Hachiko as he’s rarely been depicted before, bursting with joy upon seeing his owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
I am familiar with this.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

they made a movie about him, starring b tier white actors. i used to see it at the grocery checkout all the time.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

please no talking about dogs in the whiskers forum please tia

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I think it might be Kabosu, OP.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

krampster2 posted:

please no talking about dogs in the whiskers forum please tia

dogs have whiskers tho

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

nutranurse posted:

dogs have whiskers tho

do they? i dunno never really seen one

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

dogs > cats

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think Sergeant Stubby has him beat.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
wow that's a dumb dog haha!

he's dead you idiot!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Thong Daeng bettah

Tongdaeng is a respectful dog with proper manners; she is humble and knows protocol. She would always sit lower than the King; even when he pulls her up to embrace her, Tongdaeng would lower herself down on the floor, her ears in a respectful drooping position, as if she would say, 'I don't dare.'

raton fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 11, 2015

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

Greyfriars Bobby did it first.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
How the gently caress did they make a movie about this dog?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

How the gently caress did they make a movie about this dog?

//Sad violins

Cue Confucian FILIAL PIETY wailing

pan to sad dog

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I disagree, this is the best dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLclGPr7fj4

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
all dogs are best dog

this is dog fact

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

the shiba that sells cigarettes is better

http://youtu.be/-bk4zr9_pbw

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Mel Mudkiper posted:

all dogs are best dog

this is dog fact

Except for pit bulls. They need to be destroyed because they are too dangerous. What kind of idiot thinks a dog with locking jaws is a good pet?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

He comes back later on.....

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

BigBoss posted:

Except for pit bulls. They need to be destroyed because they are too dangerous. What kind of idiot thinks a dog with locking jaws is a good pet?

locking jaws arent a real thing sorry you had to hear it from me

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

He comes back later on.....
my brain isnt wired to revoke sympathy for things from the past due to timeline alteration

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Greyfriars Bobby is better. Except the book, which was terrible, the dude doesn't even die until like 2/3 through and the first 2/3 are just this old dude wandering around Edinburgh with his dog being old and boring.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

overworked salaryman's brain bleeds to death and they honor his dog, the japanese worker truly has nothing to live for.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I can't even see that gif without feeling sad about that loving episode.

Hachiko was a good boy. I like the new statue except for the fact crazy rescue moms are screaming that that's what happened "after he passed over the rainbow bridge, for real, seriously!" all over facebook.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Sheep-Goats posted:

//Sad violins

Cue Confucian FILIAL PIETY wailing

pan to sad dog

"WOH-OWWWWWWWWWWWOHWOH"

*Woodblock clap*

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Mr. Pumroy posted:

overworked salaryman's brain bleeds to death and they honor his dog, the japanese worker truly has nothing to live for.

after all his company did for him, to die so early and without warning. how can you honor such disgrace?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I can't even see that gif without feeling sad about that loving episode.

Hachiko was a good boy. I like the new statue except for the fact crazy rescue moms are screaming that that's what happened "after he passed over the rainbow bridge, for real, seriously!" all over facebook.
I used to hate that phrase but now I see it as a failsafe way to tell the difference between normal dog people (the best people) and the dog version of crazy cat ladies, so I appreciate it

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

a second dog has hit the station

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I used to hate that phrase but now I see it as a failsafe way to tell the difference between normal dog people (the best people) and the dog version of crazy cat ladies, so I appreciate it
wait, that's really a thing?
Do they talk about their dog turning into a fish or something or do they all make it to the Channel Islands?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

wait, that's really a thing?
Do they talk about their dog turning into a fish or something or do they all make it to the Channel Islands?

Yeah for some reason the accepted way to put it is "Mr smoochums has *sob* crossed the rainbow bridge" which is just weird because that's what Vikings did to go to Valhalla and I don't see the connection

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah for some reason the accepted way to put it is "Mr smoochums has *sob* crossed the rainbow bridge" which is just weird because that's what Vikings did to go to Valhalla and I don't see the connection
oh okay I was thinking of the Chumash rainbow bridge tha t dead people ghosts crossed to go to the afterlife in the Channel Islands and if they fell off they got turned into dolphins.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

oh okay I was thinking of the Chumash rainbow bridge tha t dead people ghosts crossed to go to the afterlife in the Channel Islands and if they fell off they got turned into dolphins.

Why would u not fall off

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Why would u not fall off
because dolphins are annoying??

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

nothing wrong with wishing for your favourite pet to race the sickest mario kart track forever

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

because dolphins are annoying??

Yeah but I feel like being one would be chill as h*ck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

when we put our cat down they gave us a poem about the rainbow bridge printed on goldenrod paper

• Locked thread