Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I tried out Gunlance in the MHG demo and I find myself liking the changes to it, if for no other reason that there is now a point to shelling now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Doctor Goat posted:

Man I am getting owned by Adept LS.

I want to use it so bad but I'm not getting any benefit from it because I'm awful at dodging/countering.

Then don't. LS is super good without it. Roll Guild and use the max spirit hunter art, and that anime-as-gently caress teleport slash. The former will help you mash R to rank up spirit color. The latter will let you 1-button rank up spirit color, and deal good bits of damage.

Even without the hunter arts Guild is really solid. It has all the 4U moves the help make Longsword a nice smooth and diverse weapon class that makes gaining and maintaining spirit really easy, but without the butt clenching mad rush to abuse red focus when you get it. Instead you have a lot of leeway to just chill out and cut the hell out of monsters with solid damage from the spirit bonuses (+damage for max spirit. +damage for each color).

If you get a little better with dodging, then maybe try striker, to get that counter-attack hunter art. Why dodge, when you can deal damage when you "dodge" (the skill technically leaves you invulnerable not unlike i-frames in a roll)? Going to lose some of the attacks, like lateral fade, or fade -> spirit, but those are small prices if you're have zero trouble maintaining red.

Yeah! That's is exactly what I was talking about. I really dig counters like those or Lance counter. The adept dodge doesn't really enable what I would call a "counter". It's more like a rebound attack. Not nearly as badical. P coo... but striker is really stroking my mojo. I know I could still have that counter hunter-art AND adept dodges, but I kinda liked the old Freedom Unite Longsword moveset (still have the new roll attack), and it seems braindead easy to get red spirit. Think I'm going LS this time, with 3 hunter-arts, even though the hunter-arts were one of the things I was least excited for about Generations.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 13, 2016

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Another good one, just popping off those arts

https://fat.gfycat.com/PinkValidIridescentshark.webm

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I like the guys name.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Pretty much sold myself on LS. But important question.

Is there a list of all available weapons, and graphics for them? Given the upgrade system, there is basically a 100% chance I will find just the right blade to satisfy my nerdshido, but... you know. Gonna be a couple of days before I can really dig in.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
it's extremely good and cool that this game costs twice as much to purchase in my home country as it would to buy on the US e-shop after converting currency, and it's even cooler than i'm still going to pay it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Kiggles posted:

Pretty much sold myself on LS. But important question.

Is there a list of all available weapons, and graphics for them? Given the upgrade system, there is basically a 100% chance I will find just the right blade to satisfy my nerdshido, but... you know. Gonna be a couple of days before I can really dig in.

http://kiranico.com/en/mhx/buki/tachi

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I'm really fond of the Mizutsune weapons with the enameled blades that have flowers painted onto them :3: I do also enjoy some of the more exotic stuff that's clearly made from monster parts, too, though.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Striker S&S gets to look pretty cool too

https://fat.gfycat.com/UltimateBlaringGermanwirehairedpointer.webm

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, son! Blango Destroy is back? I was never into Pokemon, but all them sharp things.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well I just defeated Femto Gore Magala and uh, gently caress that thing. Here's an artist's impression of my screen during the entirety of that fight:

Minrad posted:

Great Maccao's set looks awesome, btw, and I love that crafting a set will earn you the palico scraps to make a matching set for your partner. :3:

This, however is amazing :aaa:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Dammit, I've been out of the Monster Hunter loop for a long time now, and just happened to see that this new one is coming out in a few days. Why couldn't I have just found out about this on Friday? Then I could purchase and play immediately.

Gonna be hard to choose between hammer and insect glaive now with all the new arts. Can't wait to start hunting monsters again, and now I can possibly even start playing in co-op sometimes (life stuff made this difficult before).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Countblanc posted:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious with the Aerial HBG, I can't seem to ever actually hit the monster with my shots. Granted I'm trying on the Maccao who is pretty tiny, but yeah. Is it pretty much not worth it without pellet (which isn't in the demo)?

It's just a bad style against small quick monsters. Pellet is probably the only shot type you'll hit with consistently.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Ha, didn't know about being able to play Palicos. Kinda tricky to pull off solo, but I'm guessing these would be super good in multiplayer with all of their support skills since they have practically on-demand buffs and heals, seemingly even moreso than the hunting horn. I went up against the beginner monster in the demo with one solo, and while its damage is pretty low, it was a lot of fun to run around and be a nuisance to the monster anyway. Still took the thing out, but it does seem to be this game's "raptor-like miniboss."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

HPanda posted:

Still took the thing out, but it does seem to be this game's "raptor-like miniboss."

All the dromes are there, too :v:

I guess if nothing else it means it'll be easy-easy to get a starter set of HR armor from HR velocidrome or whatever.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I can't wait to shoryuken all the monsters.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I've only played 3U and 4U but I'm already so sick of dromes that they stand a real chance of ruining the game for me.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

3U had the ggis though, mostly it had Giant Wroggi and his top tier fashion set.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Dromes being dromes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tender Bender posted:

I've only played 3U and 4U but I'm already so sick of dromes that they stand a real chance of ruining the game for me.

I kinda appreciate the dromes for the same reason I appreciate Great Jaggi. Sometimes it's just kinda fun when one decides to show up in an unstable hunt, this idiot dinosaur that you can kill in a couple of minutes without taking damage, and you just look at him like.... buddy :kiddo:, what are you thinking?

Wafflz posted:

3U had the ggis though, mostly it had Giant Wroggi and his top tier fashion set.

:hf: cowboy hat goes with everything

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The windowsill in my new office just got a whole lot better

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like all of the dromes that I've met so far, even if they're a little jumpy they never stomp on you, block the camera or combo you to death. They seem like very nice monsters :shobon:

It's funny, when I first tried the MH4U demo I had a ton of trouble with the Great Jaggi but now I just assume it's a pushover whenever I see a raptor. I beat the Iodrome without getting hit on my first attempt and that felt pretty good after the previous hard and frustrating fights. After fighting the other raptors, I knew how I had to time my hammer and he just melted. Probably my coolest moment yet in the game was when he did his high jump at me, right into a timed golf swing that literally sent him flying. :fuckoff:

I'm having a bit of trouble with the bigger enemies though. They feel really chaotic between the camera being blocked, everything staggering me (like stepping around with hitboxes on their entire body) and having a head that's too high to hit. I've just started using the Lance for all the big monsters. While the Hammer is great at squishing smaller enemies, the lance is just so good against big ones. The block is amazing for when they won't stop stepping on you, the counter is really good, the charge jump is fantastic for mounting and the upwards thrust is great for hitting soft bellies and heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
https://giant.gfycat.com/IllinformedCornyAmericanshorthair.webm

new thread

• Locked thread