Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Pat Clements posted:

Elaborate on why you think Marleau is terrible because I'm super curious

Just the eye test really. He doesn't seem as good defensively and makes bad giveaways like the one in the last minute of regulation. Not as dangerous on odd man rushes like in the Calgary game. He's on a pace to score roughly half as many goals as last. Maybe "fell off a cliff" was too drastic, but he's certainly demonstrably worse than last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Pat Clements posted:

Jesus, I keep forgetting a perfectly functional Taylor Fedun is sitting around in Worcester

Yeah. With Vlasic out, now's the drat time.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

coronaball posted:

Man Marleau is terrible in all phases of the game now. His game has gone off a cliff and it's sad.

uh, no

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

coronaball posted:

Just the eye test really. He doesn't seem as good defensively and makes bad giveaways like the one in the last minute of regulation. Not as dangerous on odd man rushes like in the Calgary game. He's on a pace to score roughly half as many goals as last. Maybe "fell off a cliff" was too drastic, but he's certainly demonstrably worse than last year.

guy has a low shooting % year means he's fallen off a cliff :okpos:

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

coronaball posted:

Well, a lot of the goal total stuff can be justifiably attributed to horrendous puck luck, which he absolutely had for a very long stretch of time.

I don't really think he's gotten any slower or poorer defensively, and the possession numbers seem to accurately reflect that based on his zone entries and exits. Now, his linemates have been fluctuating more than last year. That might mean he's been given the responsibility of covering for people's asses more often, but I certainly don't think he's any worse in any meaningful way.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Pat Clements posted:

Well, a lot of the goal total stuff can be justifiably attributed to horrendous puck luck, which he absolutely had for a very long stretch of time.

I don't really think he's gotten any slower or poorer defensively, and the possession numbers seem to accurately reflect that based on his zone entries and exits. Now, his linemates have been fluctuating more than last year. That might mean he's been given the responsibility of covering for people's asses more often, but I certainly don't think he's any worse in any meaningful way.

Is such a precipitous drop in shooting percentage all chalked up to just luck? That's an honest question; I don't know hockey nearly as well as the other three sports. (Which you might have guessed)

the bottom line is he just doesn't look the same to me, but you're right, a lot of that could be due to personnel and the team's struggles overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

coronaball posted:

Is such a precipitous drop in shooting percentage all chalked up to just luck? That's an honest question; I don't know hockey nearly as well as the other three sports. (Which you might have guessed)

the bottom line is he just doesn't look the same to me, but you're right, a lot of that could be due to personnel and the team's struggles overall.
Well, it isn't always, but in this case it probably was. Marleau was getting the same chance he always was, more or less, and it's certainly not unheard of for guys to slump like that on sheer happenstance. It's weird and doesn't really jive with our gut instinct, but them's the breaks.

And yeah. Apologies if I came off as aggressive. It's just that with all of the things off about the team this season, Marleau should be a total non-concern. Defensive depth? The way the bottom six is shaping up? Absolutely. But Marleau and Thornton are just as effective as they've always been, and that's pretty remarkable.

• Locked thread