Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Normie Slayer posted:

Someone in another thread was saying that they prefer 2k3 over VX Ace. VX Ace is the version I own, but is there a compelling reason to switch over to an older version?

For some reason, Enterbrain got rid of the three layers in VX, along with a lot of other things, like dropping AVI support and having smaller item/monster/event database sizes. They kept downgrading as they moved up from version to version and nobody knows why. However, it seems like they're getting their poo poo together with MV and are bringing back the missed features.

I think I'll still rock 2k3 though. The reason people still use it is mostly because it's just more fun to use. It's easier to create assets because of the lower resolution, the mechanics are simpler, and it has a less complicated interface for making games. It's less powerful because it doesn't have scripting and isn't extendable in some cases, but as long as you're just making RPGs and not platformers or RTSes or whatever, the lack of scripting shouldn't be an obstacle at all. Also, 2k3 comes out of the box with a kickass side-view battle system, and while it's possible to make one in VX Ace, it requires a fair amount of scripting and most of the ones out there aren't as polished.

All in all though, it comes down to personal preference. If you want to make more modern games with higher graphics fidelity and use a more flexible engine, VX Ace is your best bet. However, if you like the low-res SNES era RPG look and just want to make quick fun RPGs, 2k3 is really hard to beat. 2k3 is no slouch either and has its collection of great games.

FZeroRacer posted:

both LISA games are hella good

InnercityGriot posted:

Lisa the Painful is a legit great game.

loving agreed

Douk Douk fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

al-azad posted:

Javascript and HTML support is legit exciting, all the Ruby stuff turned me off. But why are they touting 3 layers as a new thing? I'm pretty sure XP had a third layer and in 200X you could fake it with events.

But yes, 2k3 is perfection.

Sounds like it might make implementing arches and bridges you can walk both over and under much more straightforward. Right now, I have to have a hidden event switch the tileset around when the player walks in and out. That'd be pretty nice!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I don't wanna burst anyones bubble or anything but man, they really haven't gotten very far in a decade with these.

I bought up the VX Ace one or whatever its called when it was on sale on steam just to see what's up, and well... I can't say that I would be impressed.

I'm comparing it to 2k3 which is the one I've most dabbled with and it just doesn't seem like much of an improvement at all. I find the default tilesets and NPCs super unappealing to look at and I couldn't really find any new features. The resolution can be bigger which is nice and it supports some better sound formats. Scripting is of course a big thing, Hate to be negative on this but was that really it for these more modern RPGmakers?

Haven't looked at MV (where the gently caress do they get these names?) beyond just glancing over it really quickly but I feel like most of this stuff they should've figured out years ago. I can't imagine having multiple layers being such an issue, but I also don't know if the company that makes these is just like 2 guys in a basement or what.

Someone fill me in here, what is the haps with these things?

I think I'll grab 2k3 off steam just to reminisce.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
I need to do the same thing. I am feeling a good nostalgia trip, and given that all the RPGMaker sites are defunct, this should be a good way to do it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I bought into a RPG Maker VX Ace 4-pack with some other goons and messed around with it for a while, only to have it removed from my steam account without any notification because apparently the guy who bought it used a stolen credit card.

That's my RPG Maker experience. :v:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Gortarius posted:

I'm comparing it to 2k3 which is the one I've most dabbled with and it just doesn't seem like much of an improvement at all. I find the default tilesets and NPCs super unappealing to look at and I couldn't really find any new features. The resolution can be bigger which is nice and it supports some better sound formats. Scripting is of course a big thing, Hate to be negative on this but was that really it for these more modern RPGmakers?

VX Ace has a more refined eventing system, letting you do more without scripts. And I've talked to a few developers who think VX Ace makes lots of stuff way easier to implement. I saw somebody compare a home base upgrade menu they used in VX and VX Ace, and the VX Ace one was like a third of a page of event instead of 3 pages, and they said it was much easier to edit in little changes later.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I'm seeing a lot of 2K3 and VX/Ace comparisons, but what's the goon consensus on RMXP?? I always loved the idea of being able to make characters as large as you want them to be and having access to scripting and three layers for the first time was great, but the games don't run on modern OSes as well as they did in WinXP; music changes in Vista onward often are preceded by a complete pause in the action that shouldn't be there.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Leroy Dennui posted:

I'm seeing a lot of 2K3 and VX/Ace comparisons, but what's the goon consensus on RMXP?? I always loved the idea of being able to make characters as large as you want them to be and having access to scripting and three layers for the first time was great, but the games don't run on modern OSes as well as they did in WinXP; music changes in Vista onward often are preceded by a complete pause in the action that shouldn't be there.

XP is technically the best but it's so bare bones up front that you really need Ruby to get the most of it.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The RPG Maker series is a story of two steps forward one step back (except 95 to 2k and VX to Ace). Something neat gets added but then they botch something up or cut features out.

From what I remember of RMXP it's mired in a lot of technical issues. It's default set to run at 40 FPS because of how slow the engine was on the CPUs of the day and it screen tears hard but it's an easy fix (Graphics.frame_rate = 60) and modern CPUs don't have as much an issue with it. It'll also trip DEP if it's in whitelist mode, it can only use fonts installed on the user's machine for displaying text, it can't stream OGG files so they take a bit to load, and whatever Leroy's issue is with music on post-XP machines. I remember some people managing to shove in the newer VX engine into XP, I tried it once but it made my game blow up on big maps. :saddowns:

You already brought up the pluses, the mapping and introduction of scripting, and there should be a ton of scripts out there that you can use too. It's been out for ages after all. I just have no idea where they are :v: . RMXP also has the best music of the PC RPG Makers. The remastered version somebody made sounds awful though.

I can't comment much on the editor itself though, I haven't used it in ages. You'd be best served by downloading the 30 day trial and giving it a spin. The technical issues were too much for me though.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I can't remember the name of the game at the moment, but the second game made by the guy who did Exit Fate is pretty drat good.

The story is really good, it liked how it intentionally starts out in a very standart way while actually being fairly unique.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

RottenK posted:

I can't remember the name of the game at the moment, but the second game made by the guy who did Exit Fate is pretty drat good.

The story is really good, it liked how it intentionally starts out in a very standart way while actually being fairly unique.

Exit Fate is the second game by the guy who did Exit Fate. The first one was Last Scenario.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Oh alright

i dunno why i thought that EF was the first one

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Last Scenario owns

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Is it possible to make these things scale up the game to fill the entire screen when in fullscreen mode?

There is just this huge border around the whole deal for me at least. Looks awful.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

While this is from quite a few pages back, I just thought I'd say that I downloaded it on this recommendation and played it and this game is real real good. It invokes both thinking and feeling. I encourage people to play it.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Black Wombat posted:

While this is from quite a few pages back, I just thought I'd say that I downloaded it on this recommendation and played it and this game is real real good. It invokes both thinking and feeling. I encourage people to play it.

did you revisit the Zones after purifying them

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
RPG Maker 2003 got a big-rear end update a couple weeks ago that threw in a bunch of goodies like custom title screens, better video options, builtin font support and more :woop:

Also, RPG Maker VX is still on sale at humble bundle for like two cents or something ridiculous.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Excels posted:

did you revisit the Zones after purifying them

Yes. That's some unnerving poo poo, man. For a game with primitive, 2D graphics and no jump scares, it manages to be creepy really well. Shows off the power of music.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i like how in each zone you get the same enemies but slowly decaying until you revisit the last purified zone and you are fighting literal bloody torsos

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

It looks like RPG Maker MV is coming out on the 23rd. Time to cobble my half-finished VX Ace game into something playable, I guess.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thank god, they're ditching Ruby for Javascript.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, hey, a thread where I and everyone else can talk about the dumb RPGs we are most certainly not making.

And I can talk about how I am most certainly not a big dumb idiot who can't even figure out how to turn the MP bar into a gradient.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

MV's character generator finally produces okay-looking faces.

Not sure how I feel about the overall graphical style yet, but that's an improvement I'm pretty happy about.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't think I'll be upgrading to MV for a while. All those nifty VX Ace scripts, and all those google search results about problems, are too much to give up for a few features I'll probably never use.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think MV has a lot of popular scripts pre-installed if you wanna have a look. I know they have Yanfly stuff.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Can't believe I didn't post this earlier - there's a sale on a bunch of RPG Maker products on Steam until Dec. 1. RMXP is roughly $6.50 and RMVX Ace is about $17.50. There's also a discount on MV but it's still around $70.

I missed out on the Humble Bundle sale a while back :saddowns:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

There's another big sale going on right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=RPG%20maker%20degica&category1=994

VX Ace is like 7 bucks, you can get older ones for cheaper.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
drat, helluva bump on this thread.

That sale is pretty nice though. $5 to go down memory lane with 2k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The number one game I got my eye on is CLASSIC GAME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzadxrooKHQ

I think this'll be something really special. Maybe even better than OFF or Space Funeral.

• Locked thread