Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hug train :unsmith:

The differences in dialogue is pretty great, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hug train rolls away! Now let's try and find the secret will or whatever it is that gives us the house.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Does this game have a dialogue speed up button?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Well that really was like head-butting a bag of rocks, but it does make me smile to see Gloria acting more reasonable now. Hopefully we don't see another scene from her similar to her 'seduction' of the Prince.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Tired Moritz posted:

Does this game have a dialogue speed up button?
There are a couple things you can do. Once a line starts, you can click/press a key again to make it skip to the end. Also, if you have seen a particular stretch of dialogue before, you can press Control to speed through to the next choice or the next unseen line, whichever comes first.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
So that went well! Next morning is much the same as last time, with Sophia wanting to come with Cinders to town, though a couple of lines are different.

I seriously doubt she's that naive.

Doesn't matter. The real question is: what did she want from you? Did she come to ask for help? So many hours without the chance to struggle for Carmosa's approval must've left the poor girl quite disturbed.

Come on, Sophia. Quit it already. She was actually quite nice to me, relatively speaking. She even had something to say for a change. I think that this was the first time we actually had a normal conversation.

Was she giving you advice on how to make yourself spineless? Or were you just discussing boys?

You really shouldn't go there or someone might think that you're jealous.

Because of your little chat? Please.

Seriously Sophia, you could really try talking to Gloria some day. Having tea with her without spiking hers with rat poison.

:allears: Best character.

I see. I think you've just given me a bit too much information there, Sophia.

Oh, you're such a child sometimes. In case you didn't notice, we're living in the middle of a dangerous and unforgiving forest. This place is packed with wild, bloodthirsty predators. And whether we choose to see them or not—they exist.

We shoot Sophia down again, then head on our way. Only this time, we make a stop in the forest before going to town.

Alone, without anyone telling me what to do. That's how freedom feels. Though, today is a bit different. I know why I came here. That dream I had two days ago... I hadn't had the time to come here yesterday, but I know I must do it. Maybe it's a bit silly, but I won't rest until I find out if it was just a dream or something else.

Though, I have to admit, I'm a little bit disappointed. I guess I was really hoping that someone would be waiting here for me.

Leave a gift, of course. These fairies will eat our soul if we don't.

Let's be honest, I came here because of that dream. I might as well leave a gift like I intended to. I think I'll gather up some wild flowers and wrap them in my shawl. A beautiful boquet should be a nice gift.

If we had saved money during the trip to town for Carmosa and kept it for ourselves, we would have the option to leave it here for the Fairy. This would give us a larger opinion increase than just flowers, which does actually matter a bit.

Hm, nothing's happening. Well, I don't suppose I was expecting anything, anyway. It must have been just a dream. In the end, real life is more exciting than dreams and fairy tales. For instance, this place is so tranquil and beautiful. Even if it's not magical, I feel so at peace. I just want to lie down in the grass, close my eyes, and let my problems drift away. Actually, that sounds like such a good idea right about now. This is my day to do what I please with. If I want to take a nap, I will. This looks like a good spot. I'll just lie down here... Mmm...

That's strange. Everything's so quiet.

The wind is picking up so suddenly!

...No one's there. I suppose it was just the wind playing tricks on me. Creepy.

???
We are not wind.

Th-then who are you? Who am I speaking with?

???
You are speaking with us. Naturally.

But I don't see anyone.

???
How come you can not see us when we are everywhere around you?

I don't understand. How do you even know my name?

???
Surely you know us. You would not leave us gifts if you didn't know we would take them.

So... you're fairies? Am I dreaming?

???
Right now, you tread the delicate line between sleep and wakefulness. Soon you will be fully asleep.

Makes sense... I guess. Well, what do you want from me?

???
We have no desire for anything from you. You're the one who seeks our aid, are you not?

???
If it's the right wish, then yes.

Then I wish for...

???
The time is not yet right, Cinders. Do not worry. When the moment comes, you will know, and the Lake owes you a favor.

I'm not sure I understand. I get a wish, but only when you say it's okay? That's a bit convoluted.

???
It would if you were awake. But here—in between wakefulness and dreams—it is as it should be. You are leaving now, but we will meet again.

Wait, I'm leaving? Where? What do you mean...

Does this mean the voice of the fairies was just a dream? Well, even the fairies themselves admitted that I was dreaming. Can a dream know it's just a dream?

Let's pick up some more naive/good points.

It didn't feel exactly like a dream. There was something very tangible about it, in a strange way. I should probably be more scared than I am, but I feel wonderful. Maybe I should ask Madame Ghede about this when I get the chance. She seems knowledgeable about things like this. She's a witch after all. I'd better get going, though. There's still a lot to do. I just hope I'll have a chance to come and take another nap here some day.

This scene is the same as before. Townswoman blames Ghede for her cow dying, Perrault intervenes, Ghede says she's leaving town soon. Frustratingly, Cinders still doesn't ask Ghede about the fairies. Then, off to see Tobias.

Hello, Cinders. What brings you to my humble establishment?

Oh, I was just around the town again and thought it'd be nice to drop by. No special reason.

I see you're well enjoying your newly-found freedom.

They have a chat about Cinders's conversation with Gloria, then the shady character shows up and fucks up. Once again, we made the right choices previously, so we're able to get him to start talking about his connection to Carmosa. Interestingly, remember this choice?

Which option works depends on Cinders's personality. A "good" Cinders can succeed by appealing to his morals, a "smart" one by focusing on his connection, and a "bad" one by threatening him. Here's the result of appealing to his morals.

This may seem like a whim to you, but it's not. I'm not the 'lassie' you take me for and I wouldn't be asking you all these questions, if it wasn't necessary. Honestly, do I look like a spoiled brat to you? Do you think I don't know hardship, that I get what I want with no trouble? For Carmosa and my sisters I'm no better than a servant. Every single day I'm reminded how little I'm worth and how disposable my life is. This is my only chance to prove them wrong! I MUST know.

Lassie... Life ain't peachy for either of us, innit love? And all we have is our smarts. But the ol' hag's a real demon. She'd claw me eyeballs out, if she knew I told one little bird everything.

You have nothing to fear from me. Carmosa will never know. Why would I want to tell her anything? I need to know how to break free from her clutches and her secrets are her biggest weakness. I need your help!

And there you have it. We discover that he got forged invitations for Carmosa and the sisters. After we discuss it with Tobias a bit, there's some new lines since the two of us are involved.

Oh, but you've just said I should be alone thinking.

I did. drat my wisdom! I should have kept my mouth shut. I could enjoy your company a bit longer then.

Ah, but I agree with your advice. I think I do need some time alone to figure out what my life should be about. Please, don't get mad.

Thank you. It's new to me. I think this one time I just want to be alone for a little while and think. But I appreciate what you've just said a lot!

I meant it. I will be waiting here when you come back. Now just go and take the most discussed walk this year. I'll just stay here and miss you.

Thank you, Tobias. See you soon, my wise man.

But wait, there's more. As we're about to leave town, we run into the Captain again.

Yep, we still get the chance to join him on his patrol again. We say yes, of course.

Time to bust out the :wink:

Ah, but the pleasure is all mine. Though, I do feel the pleasure should be mutual at most times.

You certainly have a way of making a statement.

But honestly, you are a very interesting man. I am surprised I didn't have to elbow my way through a crowd of young women here. Strength and mystery in a man usually attracts them like honey lures wasps.

Oh do they?

But then such a confident, beautiful and smart woman as yourself is bound to have a circle of admirers at her whim. That is what men search for.

Do they really?

Of that I'm sure! I've just had no luck in finding such a person yet, but that does not mean that I admire such qualities less.

What can I say...

They talk about Ghede for a while, then...

Eh, I guess.

So the Captain of the Guard thinks we're hot poo poo, but we just had a lovely date with our childhood friend. Who will we end up with!? This is just like Twilight. :ohdear:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Yes, who will we end up with? Will it be Edward Tobias or Jacob Perrault?

EDIT: I don't know poo poo about Twilight, so don't take things seriously.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat! Seductive Cinders isn't wasting any time. Kind of goes against the grain of a naive Cinders though.

And Sophia is still fantastic :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sophia better be careful hauling around those sick burns or she'll eat some friendly fire.

Anyway, it seem like Ghede and the fairies are diametrically opposed to each other, so it's no wonder we can't tell her abuot them as deep in as we are.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Later that night, the Prince backs Perrault into a corner about whether or not to become Master Spy.

Carmosa comes back the next morning...

Sophia goes first, and Gloria expresses her awkward happiness that Sophia and Cinders have bonded. While Gloria is talking to her mother, Cinders and Sophia have a new chat.

I'm not sure. She seemed fine when we talked.

As odd as it may be, you might be right. My silly sister babbled a lot about how she finally got through to you. What a success it was to finally come to some sort of understanding. The most pathetic part was when she decided this 'understanding' was important enough to make it the topic of the day.

I'm glad she felt that way. I thought it made for a nice change of pace, as well.

The only thing missing from this picture is holding hands and singing. And dancing. Possibly in circles. In the middle of a flowery meadow. I think I might throw up.

Oh shut up. Let's just wait for Gloria. It shouldn't be too long.

When Gloria comes back, her lines are a little different now too.

I didn't tell her about your little excursions. I did tell her, however, you behaved in a responsible and trustworthy manner.

Which I'm sure Mother has immediately taken to be true, since she values your opinion so highly.

Alright then, I'm going. Wish me luck.

Yes, I did. Come in and close the door. I'd like you to explain something to me. Weren't you the busy little bee when I was gone?

I'm not sure I follow—

I've just talked with your sisters and they both vouched for your good behavior during my absence.

They did? Oh, that's—

I don't recall playing cards, I just took some time to talk with them and try to understand them for a change. I guess it worked.

How lovely. But I really couldn't care less about that. The important thing is that you didn't do anything stupid or manage to get yourself into some trouble, like I was expecting. Just thinking about having to listen to your whining and excuses makes me cringe. So it's a good thing we won't be having any of that, yes?

I'm—I mean, thank you, Ma'am.

Regardless of what you may be thinking right now, adding wood to the roaring blaze of that ego of yours isn't the purpose of this talk. Praise means nothing save the purpose it serves—remember that. There are important matters I need to tell you about.

Such as the ball. Despite being slightly impressed with us, Carmosa still expects us to sit around and clean while the stepsisters go.

That night, after they try on their new dresses, there is a knock at our place.

Who would knock on my window at this hour? Some shady character it must be! Let's see...

Hey, Cinders! It's me, JacobPerrault!

It's possible for it to be Tobias who shows up here instead, depending on who we have the higher opinion score with. Alas, maybe next time. Anyway, after giving him advice (it turns out I chose the 'maybe you should quit' option again; sorry, I'll get the other next time), the conversation takes a different direction.

Ha! My neighbour perhaps? Oh... You mean yourself.

Leaving this charming place with a talented warrior who's also very easy on the eye and happens to value my judgment? I know of worse fates than that.

This kind of life you speak of. Yes! I can see it vividly. Only now I understand how determined you are to flee from your house.

And the one having you in it is exceptionally attractive to me.

Are you serious about it?

I think we're both equally serious about wanting to say goodbye to both this town and our duties.

Yes, I can see that now. It does sound tempting: leaving all of this behind and just trying our luck, looking what fate has in store for us, both of us. But this isn't all there is to it, is it?

I hate to be asking you this, but did you just steer this entire conversation to make me aid you with your goals? It does seem a bit like that's the case, but I'm not sure.

Yes, I can see how it may look that way. And I understand how you would be worried. However, I can give you my word that I honestly and genuinely did my best to advise you. I told you what I really think is the best choice. Maybe I did this for myself, frankly. I can't be sure about that myself. I want to break free very much. If I seem a little bit desperate to you it is because, well, I am, and you are someone I can trust.

It's alright, I have no doubts about your honesty. But I still need to sort this out on my own. I will think about your offer, though. Thank you, Cinders. This has been very helpful. You listened to me and addressed my doubts. I am grateful.

It's been a pleasure.

Now we go off to visit Mother's grave.

???
And so are you. It's in your blood.

Not this again, did I just fall asleep without noticing it?

???
You're not dreaming.

Alright, if you're so helpful, why don't you show yourself?

???
As you wish.

I am the Fairy of the Lake. The one who is praised and feared by souls elated and those of broken spirit. You've been keeping vigil by our Lake through the seasons. You remembered about us. You did well. The sacrifice which your mother had made was not squandered. We are willing to uphold the Concord. You are free to ask for our aid.

After some ominous talk of weights and prices...

We could use her help this time. This isn't actually necessary to get the Fairy's ending, but it does increase her disposition.

I guess I could use any help I can get. It's not often that I meet someone willing to help me in the first place.

We will be ready.

The next day, Sophia and Gloria come to see us before going to the ball.

But you know Mother and you know it won't happen.

I know. You shouldn't feel guilty. It will be your chance, make the best of it.

Come on, we need to go. Now!

Yes, I'm coming. Cinders, we'll be gone for the rest of the day. The house will be left under your supervision. Do you think you can manage that?

There are more well-oiled cogs in that pretty head than in yours and mine combined. Or maybe just yours. Now, let's move.

I can manage things for one day, Gloria. Don't worry.

Alright. We're going then. Bye!

Even more :smith: with Gloria on our side now. Oh well. This time we have a supernatural power on our side! Speaking of, it's about time to see what's up with that. But first, a monologue that varies depending on which personality Cinders has.

It's just poor little Cinders, no one important. What could such a meek creature do but just sit and whine. And then comply? Well not this time!

Funny, this seems to be the hardest thing to achieve. Normal life, love, friendship and respect from the family. I want to live like a free girl. I want to have adventures. Like meeting the Prince tomorrow. And I'm going to work hard to get it. I will go to that Ball and show Carmosa, Sophia, and Gloria what I'm worth. Hmm... I need a plan, though. Or at least a dress and a way to get into the Ball. The rest I can just wing.

Madame Ghede's offer seemed genuine. Maybe even honest. But she seems dead set on getting what she wants, no matter the cost. And hell knows what that is when it comes to me and my future. Not that the Fairy is too comprehensible or predictable. But there is no gain or improvement without some sacrifice. And at least with the Fairy the accomplishment will be great and the sacrifice—the sacrifice will be nobody's but my own!

But let's not be too hasty. I just remembered what the Captain said about Father's Last Will.

:ninja: into Carmosa's room again, and...

Ah well. Off to the Lake!

Strange majestic creatures appearing from nowhere, claiming to know my mother. Fairies changing the fate... And me in the middle. I'm going to be like those old ladies with a bunch of cats, a pointy hat and warts on the tip of their noses, who claim to be 'attuned' to magic. Right. I shouldn't think too much about it. Let's just go and see if I'm insane or not.

This feels a bit silly but I have no choice, I have to get to the Palace and go to the Ball. If you're here, please, show yourself. I need your help! ...Oh, this is hopeless. What was I thinking? I have no time for this. I need to get to the Palace with or without the assistance of magical forces. If there is one girl in this kingdom who deserves being there it's me. I spent enough days scrubbing floors in my own house to earn the right to have this one brief evening of complete freedom. Without worries, without abuse. Like an ordinary girl. I really need that.

I need to prove to myself that those things can still happen. That I'm not as broken as her daughters. And going to the Ball is only the beginning. I need to change my life completely. No more idling and wishing. I thought a lot about it and I think I have the outline of a plan, at least. There are two paths I could take: retake the house from Carmosa's hands or escape and leave the Town, start a new life.

:aaa:

You startled me! Were you listening the whole time?

Yes. We are always listening to those who enter our Domain. You have a third path before you—why not charm the Prince?

Make him lose his head in just one evening and become his Queen one week later? That part of fairy tales I always had trouble believing. That and the fairies...

Your doubts are misdirected. You could easily enthrall him with our aid. You came to the Lake asking for our aid. We are offering it. Which path will you take?

If I'm ever going to be happy, I need to become truly independent. And independence comes from status, prestige and social standing. I learnt that from Carmosa herself. That's why I am going to take her place. Only then can I turn my house into a place where I can live happily.

Fortunately, Carmosa is not invulnerable. She has secrets and I happen to know about two of them. Now only did she forge the invitation to the Royal Ball, she also his my Father's Last Will from me and the rest of the world. I can easily see why she did that. The Will makes me the next in line of inheritance. If anything happens to her, the residence is mine. Like for example—if she would get arrested for forging an important Royal Document.

Your customs are alien to us. We don't need laws and parchments to take something we want from others.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I wouldn't expect legal advice from a fairy. I should talk about all this with the Captain. If Carmosa appears at the Ball with the forged documents, it should be enough to remove her from the picture.

So it seems that your path has been decided.

I would still like to go to the Grand Ball, though! Only how am I going to get to the Royal Palace? That's the hard part. Apart from small details, like the guards and me not being invited, there are more pressing issues here. Like: what am I going to wear? I don't suppose you know a good tailor that works for free?

Your seductive nature requires little aid, so providing you with the right clothing will be very easy. Have trust in the Lake, Cinders—it remembered your mother's wish, and reached out to you offering aid. Come to us before the Ball, we will help you and so the new Concord shall be sealed.

How do you manage to sound so secretive and eerie all the time? How exactly will you help me?

Have trust in the Lake. Like your mother.

Like my mother... Something tells me you're not going to answer me no matter what I say. But fine. I don't have a choice here but to agree to your rules and hope it won't bite me in the rear.

You will have no trouble doing so. Your blood makes you attuned to sensing both opportunity and necessity. The plan is set. The new gift will be offered, its Weight and Price shall unveil in time. You can go.

Thank you. I think. I wonder what Mum would say about all of this...

She would probably try to shake some sense into you. Oh well, we've come this far. All in.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012

Sophia posted:

The only thing missing from this picture is holding hands and singing. And dancing. Possibly in circles. In the middle of a flowery meadow. I think I might throw up.

Never change Sophia, never change :allears:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Before the update: "Well maybe it'll be okay"
After the update: "...welp. Nice knowing you, Cinders."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I wonder what the Fairy influence is going to be like.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder what the Fairy influence is going to be like.

I can only hope it is truly :magical:

Also this has been amazing to follow, I gotta say, and I hope the hug train keeps rolling!

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
I'm working on it. I've been procrastinating way too much, then on top of that, upgrading to Windows 10 changed enough little things that it has thrown off my workflow slightly. But text is done, now I just need to get portraits and pictures together.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh huh. Missed this one as it fell by the way.

Kind of a downer that we found the hidden last will of our father and... it turns out Carmosa legit owns the place after all.

It'd be like showing up at the ball and not really having anyone notice us.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh man, we're not dealing with a Fairy Godmother here, we're dealing with one of the Fair Folk :magical:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Now let us set our plans in motion.

Oh woe is me...

What did you say, Captain? You need to speak up!

I said: 'please continue'. And calm down.

I am calm! But she gazed at me with her Evil Eye and look! All I get is evil! A WART! What other proof would one need, eh?

This sounds important! You'll need to excuse me, madame. I have to take care of this urgent matter. I shall investigate your complaint and take the necessary steps.

Oh, alright. Sure. As long as the one complaining is young and beautiful, it's always urgent. I'd have to die a violent death to be that urgent. How fair is that, eh? I swear, it's like my younger son says: 'screw the City Guard'...

Oh, I have a couple of ideas... However, all I need right now is to speak to you. And I'm afraid that it isn't a simple matter, either.

I see. It's always a pleasure to speak to you, regardless. I'm all ears.

I need to report a crime. Lady Carmosa has forged invitations to the Grand Ball for herself and two more.

Are you sure you want to accuse Lady Carmosa of committing a forgery of a royal document?

Yes, I'm sure.

Lady Carmosa's daughters.

Oh... Technically, I shouldn't be asking this, but are you sure you want to report this, then? It could result in Lady Carmosa going to jail. Is this what you want? I mean, it's a serious crime, but...

This isn't her first crime, just the first that she has been caught at. It's time that she paid for all of her dirty little tricks and games.

I need to point out that no one has been caught yet. Right now it's just your word against a noble's reputation. You would need solid proof if I'm to follow up on this.

That should be easy. Just check their invitations at the Ball. That will give you all the proof you should need.

So be it, I'll check their invitations closely. But it puzzles me why you would want to hurt those close to you so badly?

Close to me? You have no idea what you're talking about! She managed to fill me with so much disdain and dread. Nobody should have to suffer like I did. I'm afraid to explain it, afraid that she'll catch me speaking to you. Goodbye, Captain. Please, if you care for me at all, check Carmosa's invitation closely.

But even if what you say is true, what kind of person wants their family members imprisoned?

Pfffft. Come on. You have met these people, right?

I was honestly afraid I wouldn't be able to get back on time. Or worse: stumble upon them on the way home. Nobody should have to come home hoping to find all the people gone. Praying to be left alone. Fortunately, with some luck it's the last time I feel like this. Tomorrow everything's going to change. One way or the other.

I wonder if I'm actually able to do what I'm fighting for. Can I run this house on my own?

I hope I won't become her. I hope I won't have to.

Alright, enough of this. I need to go into my room and stay there as usual. When Carmosa comes back I need to look like nothing is going on.

Next up is that little pre-ball montage.

I feel like there's a dozen especially vicious poisonous butterflies having a Grand Ball of their own in my stomach. Poisonous butterflies, that's a good one, Cinders. Lack of sleep will surely make you very eloquent this evening. Still, if things do go according to the plan, this has just been my last night spent as a slave in my own house!

I can hear Carmosa's voice, is she mustering the girls again? Her private little army of two. Well, whatever training she gives them, nothing will prepare them for this evening! Oh my, won't they be surprised. As will be Carmosa. The all-powerful, all-knowing Lady will be caught at a loss tonight. I think I should sneak out right after they leave the house if I'm to get the dress before it all starts. So hurry up, girls!

I know, I'm sorry. It was difficult to leave the house, Carmosa and the girls ran amok. Do you know how long it takes to tie all those funny strings in a corset? Wait. You probably don't. I can't believe I'm doing this. Making excuses in front of an otherwordly apparition.

Then don't make them.

Right. So... how am I going to get to the Ball? I doubt that's even possible.

Your doubts are useless; your belief is not. Because you accepted our aid we have left a gift for you under the old oak.

A gift?

Heavens, it's beautiful! This fabric is so fine, what is it made of?

The skins of unloved orphans, obviously. Not like anyone else was using them. Waste not want not.

Alright, keep your secrets. It's still incredible. The shoes are not exactly my size though. I really feel like a princess! Whatever the price, right now I'd say it was worth it. Still, there's the minor detail of getting inside the Palace without a royal invitation.

Lords of this land and their little obsession with insignificant pieces of paper. Seals made by mortals mean nothing to us. As long as you keep the dress on, no one will stop you. Be confident, walk right in and don't look back.

I know it will work. Thank you for your help. I owe you.

Sweet Jesus, woman, why would you ever say that to a fairy?

We are honoring the old Concord and sealing a new one with you. Like your mother, you have not forsaken us. You have made rites, and your wish will be granted. We will carry the Weight of your Fate for a while. We will help you lift it higher and carry it further. Once the cycle is complete, the Weight will reveal its Price. We wish you good fortune, Cinders. It is time for you to go.

At the party, Sophia's scene is the same. It only changes if you fail to get your disposition high enough with her. I'll show that off later. Since we developed a connection with Gloria this go-around, her scene with the Prince is slightly altered.

After she tries to make vapid small talk with him for a while, and he gets increasingly annoyed with it, this happens.

It's fine. Just please, relax. I get the feeling you are very tense. Can we just chat casually?

Of course, my lord. What would you like to chat about?

*sigh* How do you like the music?

I kind of noticed. Please tell me what your strong suits are then?

I really couldn't tell you. I suppose that it is a bad sign when I don't know what my best qualities are, isn't it?

I think nobody knows themselves one hundred percent. On the other hand, I suppose it is a bit unusual to not know a thing.

I'm not sure. That is rather strange as well, isn't it? I think I would like to find out how I feel. About many things. I'm not even sure what I want for myself. Nor do I know how I feel about the goal I was dragged here to achieve.

I'd like to go and find a couple of things out before anything else. Maybe we will meet again in better circumstances one day.

Yes. Yes, of course. And good luck. I hope that you will succeed in finding yourself.

Cinders's scene is also different, not just because of the dress, but because of her new personality.

I hope you're not offended by my late arrival, Prince? These halls are so magnificent and tastefully arranged that it would be a crime to disrupt their harmony by careless attire.

Not at all, my Lady. It often takes an outsider's perspective to make us realize the beauty we have grown accustomed to. Especially if it is tangled with memories not equally beautiful.

I agree. From my experience people tend to use beauty as a mask for pain. I guess fine halls are no exception.

Neither is exquisite wardrobe. Look around you, my Lady, the people you see—beautifully dressed and smiling radiantly—do you think they are happy?

Who would have suspected such a young and serene woman to have such painful experiences.

Now, who would have suspected it from a prince? One would rather imagine him to lead a life of bliss.

A sharp remark. Indeed it can be blissful as long as it is ignorant. In truth a monarch is a servant as much as a ruler.

It raises an interesting question. Since the king and a commoner differ so slightly, shouldn't the people be allowed to rule themselves?

And so the fairy-backed revolution begins.

...No. :ninja:

Why no, there's nothing secret about it. Besides rumor has it Your Highness is planning a revolution of sorts himself.

I must admit, you are an intriguing woman, my Lady. Very different from the rest of the people who came here today. They don't seem to be even slightly bothered by the masks they have to wear. I wonder, if it's so because they wear them every single day as well? But you are different. You may be wearing a mask, but you speak to me plainly and honestly, risking being misunderstood or simply rejected. I can appreciate that, even if you did leave me a bit flabbergasted.

During the last few days I've learned that people are as complex as their motivations and agendas. And more importantly—we are all products of circumstances and surroundings. It would be easier to simply summarize others at first glance, have their actions justified with a simple 'because'. But it would be false as we can never really grasp what is inside them.

I must admit, I find the dictum terrifying. That all of us are merely actors on some stage set out for us.

Be it others, or Fate. Being determined by things we can't control is frightening. I know it all too well.

You speak of your family?

She tells him vaguely about her home situation, yada yada yada, they dance.

And yet, here we are. It feels very natural too. Who knows, maybe it was Fate that brought the two of us together?

Even though the most important things in life are given and we have little or no say as far as they are concerned.

Here we are, back at the not so pleasant topic of necessity and determination.

Terrifying, I remember. But in truth—isn't it all we are: decisions we make regardless of Fate? When we ignore the fact that we don't and can't know what awaits us in the future?

Even if it means ignoring possible consequences of our actions about which we know nothing?

And all we can do is decide how to act in spite of that. Yes. It is exactly what I have been repeating to myself. This may not be the wisest thing to say at the moment but I'll say it anyway: I consider myself lucky to have met you tonight, my Lady.

The Prince proceeds to tell her how hot she is like a total goon, and regardless of her personality, Cinders peaces out from the dance to play him like a fiddle.

Next time, we'll see how the whole taking the house back thing goes now that she has had her moment in the spotlight.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo this is gonna burn us some drat hard.
If Carmosa doesn't get us then the nobles will. If the nobles don't get us, the fairies will.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm kind of surprised Perrault isn't showing up at the ball. I suppose he's learned to be discreet.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh good, this is still going on?

Fairies still as ominous as I remember.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I look forward to seeing the consequences of our actions.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Glazius posted:

I'm kind of surprised Perrault isn't showing up at the ball. I suppose he's learned to be discreet.
Perrault actually was there, I just glossed over that part since he doesn't say anything new yet. Also, update incoming today.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Summarizing here, since the lines are the same for a while.

:smug:

Summary over, now we're into the new stuff.

Let's make this quick. Now that we are all gathered here I can begin. Lady Carmosa, you are hereby arrested in the name of the Prince.

What?! Why on earth would you do such a ridiculous thing? Whatever you think I did, it's a lie! I am a respected member of a noble house!

Oh, so you haven't forged invitations to the Grand Ball? Thus you haven't created a serious breach of security endangering the Prince?

I... Of course not! How dare you suggest anything of the sort! Do you know who you are speaking to?

There is no doubt that the invitations were forged. You have jeopardized the Palace's security and ordered a forgery of a Royal document. You are guilty.

But... how did you know where to look? Who told you to check our invitations?

You might want to say it yourself, Cinders.

What!?

Carmosa and Cinders are in the exact same pose.

So you are just like her? I was stupid to believe otherwise for even a second.

Also Sophia is basically hiding throughout this scene, while Gloria is more by herself, while still being behind Cinders.

How could you?!

I'm sorry for not wanting to be a slave anymore. Did you think I'd blindly follow orders? That I won't ever try to break free? Did you think you could hide your secrets from me forever? Yes, I also know about Father's Will. The one you hid from me in your study.

Mother, say something! Have you nothing to say?

That is wise of you. So let me explain things to them. Upon Carmosa's arrest, or any other inability to supervise the household, I am to take the residence as my own.

Please, Cinders, please don't do it! Captain, please, prevent this tragedy.

Even if I am disgusted by the betrayal and secrets that govern this establishment—my hands are bound by the law. As for your daughters, who also attended the Ball using the forged documents—

Cinders did nothing wrong.

I was about to say I'm willing to let that slip. But in your case, My Lady, if the witness does not withdraw her accusations, I'll need to take you away.

Still not sure why the accusation matters here, but sure, let's go with it.

Cinders, don't you think your point has been proven? You've established that you are the biggest monster, as required to succeed in this family. Cinders, please.

Unfortunately, doing the logical thing and sending Carmosa off to jail means the stepsisters will hate us, ruining the Hug Train ending. This loving family, man.

Oh, I might revoke the accusation, but that actually depends on Carmosa. I think you should retire from the position as the head of the house and rethink your ways. Without that, what reason would you have to change?

Cinders, what are you doing?!

But she still has a lot to learn if she's stupid enough to think I'll just go down easy and admit defeat.

You were sloppy and reckless, which lead to you getting caught and putting the whole household in danger. Surely your own logic must lead you to the inevitable conclusion.

Mother, say something.

Mother?

That's really not much of a choice. Fine. I'll turn over rule of the house to you, but if you think—

—I think I can change my mind at any time. You should remember that. Captain, we won't need your services after all. Sorry to have bothered you.

Oh, not at all. Nothing will make me happier than leaving this house and its disgusting little games. Have a pleasant night, Ladies.

Yes?

It's high time we changed our ways and began to cooperate, leading the house efficiently as a group of people close to each other, and not enemies.

How could you do that!? And how can you say that now?

When the situation is bad enough, drastic action is required. As far as I'm concerned, all sins are resolved and we can start over. Carmosa was ruthless and wanted us to become ruthless as well—she saw no other way.

But I'm sure there is a way. It's not too late for us yet, she didn't manage to poison us completely. If we work together, we can become a real family. I hope you girls will come round and support me in this. I would like us to finally stand together.

Later that evening...

I swear it on me hat here, you all gonna pay dearly for all your miss—

Never getting tired of those big entrances, eh? Always loved a good drama you lot, never got used to it myself.

You have entered our Domain! What do you want?!

Easy with the drama already. Don't mean no harm, honest! Was just wondering, ya see. Whatever happened to the witty little bird that got all you gals so agitated recently? Heard you made some long-term investments in her too.

They don't? And I thought I did mighty fine a job fetching and whispering, and basically being in all the right places at the right moment. Wouldn't dream about stealing the light from you gals, but doesn't a supportive actor deserve some fresh rumors right from the source?

Very well. Know then that all went well and the girl picked up the thread of Fate where her mother left it. We have renewed the Concord and the cycle will resume. We found the girl to be much like her mother. She remembered and embraced the gift of the Lake. She accepted the Weight and agreed to pay the Price.

Offered her one of your special favors, didn't ya love?

Yes.

Haha! You gals are killing me!

Oh, pardon ma'am. I just have this medical condition, see, makes me cringe and twitch when I hear crazy, and you gals are the CRAZIEST. From what I gathered, the bird accepted no weight—hard to fly with the weights, see? And flying's all she wants, that one! No, my dear ladies. Fancy dress or no dress, she would've reached the Prince, or king, or whatever she wanted. Much too driven and independent to be intimidated by titles, she is.

She received our aid and succeeded.

Not really, no. She was already a winner when you lot decided to have a little chat with her, and then another, and mess with her head and dull her wit. But she's much too sharp, that one! Say, ever thought maybe t'was her who used you, love? Climbed your schemes like a ladder to reach her own goal?

She's maturing, see, and memory means nothing then. In time she'll forget all about you, or take you for a mirage or a dream.

You are mistaken, old man. Memory is everything. She will remember and honor the agreement. She is just like her mother.

She will lift herself to greatness or fail miserably trying. With a thud! But all this time she won't be giving a bloody toss for some ol' superstitions and fairytale magics. Which is exactly how it should be!

Silence! Begone, old snake! You have disturbed our Domain for too long!

The screen flashes a little bit here, but that's about it.

Ooh, impressive trick, just like the olden days! Still have some vigor left in you, I see? I must've hit your sweet spot. I always wondered, why didn't any of the good kings chop your woods for forges and house. Must've something to do with your charming personality, eh?

Well, don't worry and save your strength, love. 'Cause soon no one will be disturbing you anymore, and you WILL be alone. All alone.

Broken, Carmosa steps down, and soon becomes a docile senile old lady. A shadow of her former self.

Soon the residence becomes a popular point of meetings and social events, and the family starts gaining political weight in the Kingdom.

That bit, what kind of host you end up being, is the part of this ending that changes based on Cinders' personality. This is 'Good' Cinders.

Sophia and Gloria both help her running the house, and are always there to support her or give their advice. While the relationship between the two sisters remains complicated, they are able to burrow their hostility in pursuit of common goals and normal life.

His shop prospers and makes their family very wealthy, while Cinders' heritage allows him to become a noble.

The End. What about the Fairy? Yeah, I wondered that too. My guess is that they wanted to leave it up to the reader whether the Fairy still has enough power to enforce the Price, and if she does, what form that will take. Which kind of sucks after all that buildup. Honestly, the Fairy is really more suited to the Prince endings. There, if her disposition is high enough, she can become royal adviser in the ending.

Anyway, there's still a few things to show off, like how to die (it's actually pretty hard), or what happens if you just gently caress off, but the LP is more or less done. Thanks for reading!

Orbs fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 29, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh poo poo I did not see that coming drat :stare:

Man that is a great twist.

quote:

His name is literally Shady :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. So, the actual devil, or just a more different court of fairies?

• Locked thread