Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Well they aren't making anymore, 90% of what I've seen is clapped out and diseased looking. My guess is that the cops are holding onto whatever good ones they have as they slowly transition their fleets to chargers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
My best car is probably my current car. An '04 Pontiac GTP

I've had it almost ten years and the only major issue I've had was a transmission replacement. Its comfortable, reasonably quick, easy to work on and parts are ridiculously cheap. I also happen to think it looks pretty cool. I really, really love the thing and plan to keep it going as long as is reasonable.

The car I pine for is my first car. An '89 Subaru XT.

It died an untimely death due to my horrible teenage driving. It wasn't that fast and it was an odd car in every way. From the goofy interior to the problematic airbag suspension it was just a very fun and unique car. If I could find an example in good shape I'd buy it just for the nostalgia.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I ran through the thread so far and added up the values. I actually had to write code because Excel's query interface is so terrible.

Methodology
  • If you couldn't decide what car you liked the most, I picked the first one mentioned.
  • If you mentioned more than one car with no indication as to which one was liked the most, I picked the first one mentioned.
  • I didn't group sub-brands (Oldsmobile into Chevrolet, Acura into Honda, Mercury Grand Marquis into Ford Crown Victoria)
  • Where stated, I assumed BMWs issued with just a chassis code were M3s.

Analysis
The E92 M3 pulled up the ranks for BMW big time, with more goons (4) selecting it as their favorite over the E30 (3).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 6, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How well did the panther platform end up in the Ford arena?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Aww, no love for the Ford not-really-luxury Lincoln? Cause my favorite is my 2011 MKZ, wonderful mid-size hybrid road couch with all the goodies.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

The amount of Panther love in this thread makes me really happy :3:

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:
My 1999 Mustang. I've had it for 15 years (got it when I was 18, first car ever), 181,000 miles (enough to circle the earth 7.3 times)
Super reliable, only work it's ever needed was brake calipers after sitting on a lawn for 4 years, oh and I replaced the exhaust when it started dragging.
Checked the spark plugs a few years ago and they look brand new. Now though the seat recliner bolt broke and the entire seat needs to be replaced and I have no idea what I'm going to put in there. I'm 6'3" so I don't want a non-recliner, or one that's too high.
2nd place is the 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ. It doesn't go fast, but it goes everywhere and the stuff you break is cheap to replace.

Here's the mustang.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How well did the panther platform end up in the Ford arena?

Panther platform and Mustang are tied at 3.

geforce
Nov 19, 2014

You may be cooler than me IRL, but I have crippling anxietyTM
:parrot:

User Error posted:

Seeing a lot of p71s in here, I'm in the market but for some reason they got really scarce around here lately.

Huggable Bear King posted:

Well they aren't making anymore, 90% of what I've seen is clapped out and diseased looking. My guess is that the cops are holding onto whatever good ones they have as they slowly transition their fleets to chargers.

They stopped manufacturing the car in 2011 in the USA&Canada, a bit later in the united arab emirates. I know some agencies started buying everything they could put their hands on, some because they didn't like the charger (interior space and window visibility is mediocre) and some others because they wanted spare pieces (most polices agencies have no insurances and make their own repairs, the p71 construction make it very easy.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I've had nicer faster and far far more reliable cars since, but nothing will ever top the montego blue '94 RX7 5 speed PEP I had 10 years ago. Pretty much the car that taught me that driving feel and balance matters far more than how fast it can go. Also the car I mastered proper 3 pedal driving and drifting in. First turbo, first LSD, you name it, it was a hardcore sports car that converted me for life. Sold it for a more reliable ride while in college and regret not just holding onto it and running a cheap daily. The only car that came close to that magic was my old '03 E46 M3, which made a far better daily driver, but didn't match the FD's cult appeal.

Now I'm eyeballing a competition yellow mica R1 even though I fully expect the apex seals to crap out on me within months of picking it up.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I don't have a big sample size - I'm only on my third car so far - and none of them have been actually good, really. But so far the title goes to Old Ugly. 1994 Suburban. I had been looking for a minivan when I got it, just for the seats, but then I saw this on Craigslist for $1100. This fucker let me beat the crap out of it it kept on ticking. Sometimes that ticking was really loud, but it only died on me, like... a few times. :v: Point is, it was a ton of fun for an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing and has low standards, plus all that room in back came in handy, and the 4x4 made it a ton of fun and made it a lot harder to get me out when I got stuck. It basically made me dependent on a full-size SUV so I anticipate having some variety of Suburban or Expedition EL or whatever for the forseeable future, and if it costs me $125 for a tank of gas I don't even blink. Hell, maybe one day I'll even have one with working air conditioning.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 7, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Going to post my bag of poo poo. Like 30 seconds into driving home I thought I made a terrible mistake but she's really proven herself reliable. I found out a short while after I bought it that it was actually going to be crushed in a scrapeyard and somebody bought it out of there. Every time I drive it I get a little smile because a 30 year old VW that was going to be crushed and was bolted together with a bunch of junkyard parts should be such a bag of poo poo but it just isn't. Always had a ton of fun driving her.

Pic is from a rallycross event 3 hours out of town where the timing belt tensioner decided it wanted to sit at a 45 degree angle to the timing belt. Car kept running, finished up the event and drove home.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I miss my Bogan Bus :australia:
2007 Holden Commodore SV6 6MT

These are the photos I took when I put it up for sale, as I was leaving Australia

The ride was firm yet compliant, rocked 18" wheels (with expensive rubber) and had a traction/stability control you could totally disable. Proper Bogan territory.
The SV6 boasted an engine with 195kw (261hp) at the crank, and though it was the fattest Commodore ever, its handling really defied its heft - this was helped by wheels that were further forward and an engine further back than older Holdens.

...And (like any Commodore should) it had a propensity to break rear traction the second there was a hair of moisture on the street. This behaviour is despite being one of the first Commodores to feature ESP; it really did let you get away with a lot before intervening - I am not sure if this makes it good or bad ESP. I remember one particular roundabout in St. Leonards that was cambered so poorly that I would need to crawl through if it was raining or fear slamming the tail into a traffic island.

The gear shift was just a touch on the rubbery side, but was otherwise very satisfying and encouraged you to row up and down. The interior was quiet and very comfortable, and an awesome place to eat up miles.

And it had a tow bar, which I used to move house 5 times in 4 years due to Sydney's hosed rental market.

Now, I drive this guy in 'MURICA :911:

This is a 2015 Forester XT, which is simultaneously smaller (footprint) and larger (volume) than the Commodore, as well as being both faster (to 60mph) and slower (everywhere else). It's basically what I got because I wanted to buy a new WRX wagon - but Subaru killed it. I love the huge open fishtanky cabin and redonkulous moonroof (the A-pillars must be like 1/3rd as thick as the Commodore's are) and I love the fact that it's fast - but doesn't look like it is. It's got a happy little turbocharged whistle whenever you hit boost (which you do, often), and the CVT isn't the penalty box you might expect (especially in Sport or Sport # modes). It effortlessly conquers the frozen Wisconsin hellscape, and is just as happy with a trunkload full of skis or pavers or dead bushes or bikes or whateverthefuck. And it's fun as gently caress to disable* the traction & stability control and slide around snowy parking lots. I really like my Forester XT.

But I loved my Commodore. I miss my Commodore.

*you can't really disable it, it just gives you a longer leash

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
You went from Australia to Wisconsin? I'd take the spiders over Hoth, personally.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Das Volk posted:

You went from Australia to Wisconsin? I'd take the spiders over Hoth, personally.

Yeah. Long story. I don't miss the spiders though. Here's a photo I took of a Huntsman in my kitchen:

Bonus Pics:
Bad times with the Commodore (this happened at about 75mph):

Good times with Fozzy on a car ferry:

I like comparing it to the size of the Suburban on the left

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
My best car? My E30, which I've had for eight years, putting about 8000 miles on it in that time, mostly because it is perpetually broken and is now essentially a brand new car. It's a '91 318is, M42 obviously.

The car I miss the most, out of the dozens and dozens that I've owned and sold / junked.. My 94 EG Civic Coupe. 5 speed manual, crank windows, no power steering. The HG went, which I replaced, then the heater core started leaking, so I sold it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ACEofsnett posted:

he car I miss the most, out of the dozens and dozens that I've owned and sold / junked.. My 94 EG Civic Coupe. 5 speed manual, crank windows, no power steering. The HG went, which I replaced, then the heater core started leaking, so I sold it.

Mine is going to look justlike that (minus the dents) by next week! (I hope.)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

T1g4h posted:

The amount of Panther love in this thread makes me really happy :3:
I adore my MGM but I have to go with my favorite high school car, a 93 Geo Storm.

Even with the 95hp engine it was peppy because it was so light, and the giant tires made driving down twisty country roads a lot of fun. If it was a 5 speed I would have kept it for longer, but the 3 speed auto just needed another gear for highway speeds. It's a great teenager car, fast enough to be fun but not so fast as to get in trouble.

Hot Buttered
Apr 27, 2008

...check it and see!
I'm fortunate enough to have had some really great cars. Nostalgia factors heavily into the ones that haunt me.

Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon. My first car was chosen and purchased for me by my parents. It was the safest option they could think of. Being the spoiled, ungrateful fucker that I was, I was unhappy with their choice, though I never voiced it. That lasted about a week. This is truly one of the greatest possessions I have ever owned. It was fast to a 16 year old. It was luxurious, complete with maroon leather interior. I glued a Yoda statue on the dash and wore out all my metal tapes listening to them through the sweet stock deck with analog EQ sliders. Living in the sticks, far from friends and school, for 2 years it was the focal point of my existence. I wrecked the poo poo out of it on the way to school one morning. When I eventually got it back, it just wasn't the same. When the turbo poo poo the bed, we traded it in on a lovely, base model Nissan Hardbody.

1994 Toyota Supra N/A. This is the car that got me into cars. It wasn't that fast compared to the TT, but the thing just ....... loped down the highway. The way that 60% of the cockpit is directed towards the driver, the seating position, the way the shifter is about 3" tall and immediately, naturally falls to hand....it was all so much cooler than anything I had ever seen before. I dabbled in the import scene in Gainesville. I took it to test & tune nights at the dragstrip there. Did the standard exhaust, intake, and suspension type upgrades. Put nitrous on it. Burned up the clutch. I eventually sold it because I was tired of having to tell people no when they asked me if it was a turbo and getting my doors blown off by drat near everything on the road was getting old. I also needed something that would pull my little boat. I am fully aware though that when I have my midlife crisis, this will be the car that I lust after, and they will be so absurdly expensive by then that I will never have one again.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
'86 Toyota pickup. Xtra cab, 4wd, stick, in red. I will never own a cooler vehicle.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My current car, 09 CTS-V sedan, is probably the best I've owned. I LOVED my 09 G8 GT though, and will probably end up with another one eventually.

Surprised at the W-body love in this thread. I am going to get a beater soon and though the typical Corolla choice is there, I wouldn't mind having another Grand Prix.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I miss my 2010 S4 even though I don't regret moving on. I had it for 40k miles and it was as solid as the day I bought it. I miss how it was glued to the road yet still unstoppable in deep snow and how the DSG made farts during hard acceleration. May you find another owner who loves you like I did. :angel:

The SRT Jeep owns though and the extra room and features are appreciated, plus that entire powertrain is crazy good.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Rubiks Pubes posted:

My current car, 09 CTS-V sedan, is probably the best I've owned. I LOVED my 09 G8 GT though, and will probably end up with another one eventually.

Surprised at the W-body love in this thread. I am going to get a beater soon and though the typical Corolla choice is there, I wouldn't mind having another Grand Prix.

Whatup, fellow G8 to -V owner? If you had an E55 between you might be my doppelganger.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Best car I've ever owned has to be my little beetle. Its somehow survived for nearly 60 years, been across the US multiple times with me, and it's yet to ever let me down. Still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

Sure its outclassed in literally every aspect now by modern standards, but, there's yet to be another car that is as enjoyable to drive and has the same community around it for me. Plus it has a huge smile on its face that I love :3:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

KozmoNaut posted:

It's gotta be my 2000 Peugeot 406 TS4:

Never mind the car, I want your garage!

Das Volk posted:

Wisconsin's not Hoth. Saskatchewan is Hoth.
SD 050 Parked on Tobin Lake by Execudork, on Flickr
I spent 4 months in Tasmania but came back to the Great White North and I'm happy for it. Though I miss my 'ute (2001 Falcon XR6) almost as much as I miss Hobart's climate.

My *best* car, after much thought, had to be my 1988 Honda Prelude, "Pixie". 5-speed, 2.0, pop-up headlights. I bought it in 2009 from a man younger than the car, which means it had a fantastic aftermarket head unit.
The day after I bought her I took her on my first (of 140 so far) Sunday Drive.
SD 001 c by Execudork, on Flickr

She took me all over this vast, flat province.
OR Prelude 02 by Execudork, on Flickr
IMGP8870 by Execudork, on Flickr
SD 060 Hardpack by Execudork, on Flickr

And taught me more about how to drive (and how not to drive) than any car should be able to.
SD 054 Stuck Near Fenton Ferry (1 of 4) by Execudork, on Flickr

Hot Buttered posted:

I glued a Yoda statue on the dash
If you push the yellow button, Yoda will instruct you in the ways of the Force!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

W-bodies are GM distilled to its purest form, with everything good and bad that implies. If you want a big couch on wheels with bulletproof running gear and don't care that the headliner is falling down and it has twice as many rattles as a 10 year old car should with fit and finish straight out of the malaise era, look no further.

I had an '08 Impala LTZ that I loved everything about except the 20 mpg on my 40 mile commute. Replaced it with a '13 Focus and despite the Focus being a better car in just about every possible way, I still miss the Impala for reasons I can't articulate beyond "W-bodies own."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ExecuDork posted:

Never mind the car, I want your garage!

I get comments like that just about every time I post that picture :v:

It's my dad's garage, he uses it mostly to park his work van at night because it's stuffed full of expensive tools and electronics, and his previous vans have all been broken into at various times. The garage hardly ever gets used for car stuff, mostly it's we just do cabinetry like building flightcases for the band or restoring drum kits, that sort of thing. I think the most advanced car repair we've ever done in there was replacing the drop links on their Citroën. Other than that, it's handy when switching between summer and winter wheels.

It sure is nice having a big open room for various larger projects, though. All of the smaller electronics projects get done in the workshop, but sometimes you just need the extra room.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 11, 2015

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Theris posted:

W-bodies are GM distilled to its purest form, with everything good and bad that implies. If you want a big couch on wheels with bulletproof running gear and don't care that the headliner is falling down and it has twice as many rattles as a 10 year old car should with fit and finish straight out of the malaise era, look no further.

My Regal had the clearcoat peeling in sheets and looked like hell, but I'll be damned if that car wasn't comfy on long trips. The interior was held together by epoxy, the and the exhaust by beercans and wire, but the 3800 never quit and always got me back and forth and gave me 25 MPG if I kept my foot out of it.

I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I could find one for the right price. Only thing I hated was doing tune ups - the back plugs were a bitch to get at.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhonda

1995 Accord EX coupe 5 speed with cloth interior. Beige on beige. I bought it for $4000 in late 2006 with just about 100K miles. One owner family and all relevant maintenance done in the previous year (timing belt, etc). She met an untimely end just over a year later when someone decided that texting whilst driving was a more appropriate thing to be doing on a 40 MPH surface street when traffic was dead stopped for two city blocks because it was during rush hour.

This bastard right here:

This "bro" was borrowing the car and was unlicensed and carrying an expired insurance card. I have never before felt like a racist but this boiled me right the hell over "nuclear" and thinking about it still gets me riled up. He rear ended me going so fast that he pushed my car into a 525 E34. There was not a single skid mark left from his tires, but all four prominently leading up from my car into the back of the BMW. It was all so clearly this dudes fault that I was issued no citation (there was PLENTY of room between me and the BMW). To this day I regret that I didn't go to the hospital after since my neck can now pop on-command. I didn't feel that bad immediately following the accident and my head was fully against the head rest.

The car had some faded/oxidized paint like all mid-90's Hondas would. It wasn't terribly fast but man was it just the best cheap car anyone could ever hope for. Insurance totaled it out and I actually got back right about four grand after a year and ~15K miles worth of driving. I think I consider it my "best" car because it was taken too early from me. I could sit at nearly 80 MPH and be invisible to any highway patrol and still get great mileage. Shifting was effortless and I could bang through every single gear the exact same way every single time. When I see one that isn't trashed to hell and back I always point it out to my wife and tell her how great that car was.

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
drat he smashed up a four door Integra, a nice Accord and an E34? What an rear end in a top hat, those cars in decent condition are pretty much impossible to find now!

There is a special place in hell for people who don't carry insurance. This dude ran a stop sign and t-boned my brand new VW Jetta in 09, suspended license and no insurance then he pleaded with me not call the cops. gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Theris posted:

I had a W-body Regal and this is pretty much my experience. Only thing you forgot is the obligatory vacuum operated everything, such as the HVAC controls that get stuck in defrost mode if there's a leak somewhere (there was).

Edit: It was a good choice for a first car though, sorta odd and rememberable.

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 12, 2015

• Locked thread