Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Middleton is more proof that Joe Dumars is by far the best drafting GM pick for pick in the contemporary basketball era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

Middleton is more proof that Joe Dumars is by far the best drafting GM pick for pick in the contemporary basketball era

yeah but darko

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

yeah but darko

Darko would have been great in a 1950s wheel offense

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Igor Strelkov posted:

Darko would have been great in a 1950s wheel offense
For all we know Darko may have turned out okay had Larry Brown not antagonized the guy and treated him like he had a case of court-activated Ebola.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
John Hammond came from Detroit and I have never seen it come out what his stance was on Darko.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Igor Strelkov posted:

Dumars ability to hit on second round 3 and D wing defenders was probably his greatest skill. I guess it was just Afflalo and Middleton but considering the track record of second rounders in general that's pretty good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crazy Ted posted:

For all we know Darko may have turned out okay had Larry Brown not antagonized the guy and treated him like he had a case of court-activated Ebola.

Darko is a legit weirdo and doesn't really like basketball. I dunno how much of that should have been discovered at part of the draft process, but as much of an rear end LB was, Darko was never going to succeed in the NBA. Had Darko actually given a poo poo he'd have been a really good player. You still should draft Melo in that situation, but hey, Pistons have 1 more championship than Melo does so what do I know.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Darko is a legit weirdo and doesn't really like basketball. I dunno how much of that should have been discovered at part of the draft process, but as much of an rear end LB was, Darko was never going to succeed in the NBA. Had Darko actually given a poo poo he'd have been a really good player. You still should draft Melo in that situation, but hey, Pistons have 1 more championship than Melo does so what do I know.

There was that once stretch in the pre-season of his third year where he looked like he would be a good player. Then the regular season started and he turned into a pumpkin. Then he got traded to Orlando, and I think for a very tiny stretch he looked like a good compliment to Dwight.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

There was that once stretch in the pre-season of his third year where he looked like he would be a good player. Then the regular season started and he turned into a pumpkin. Then he got traded to Orlando, and I think for a very tiny stretch he looked like a good compliment to Dwight.

He was ok in Minnesota for a while too. He could be a really good defender + a threat in the post and as a passer at the high post. He was one of the worst rebounders for a 7 footer despite being reasonably athletic/light on his feet. His lovely rebounding did really help Kevin Love though, that's a big reason Love's early seasons had those ridiculous rebounding numbers.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Igor Strelkov posted:

uh Presti

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Sad news for Utah Fans, Tibor Pleiß could be coming over. He may get a buyout as he's apparently been an expensive failure for Barca this season, mainly due to his total inability to defend the pick and roll.

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/jazznotes/2212438-155/tibor-pleiss-could-be-headed-to

http://euroleagueadventures.com/euroleague-top-16-half-time-report/

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MCW's jumper is more broken than THIS COUNTRY'S GOVERNMENT but theoretically he should be a better (not good) scorer in an environment where he doesn't have to create every shot or play next to uh gently caress MCW is literally the only Sixers player I can name

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Igor Strelkov posted:

Sad news for Utah Fans, Tibor Pleiß could be coming over. He may get a buyout as he's apparently been an expensive failure for Barca this season, mainly due to his total inability to defend the pick and roll.

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/jazznotes/2212438-155/tibor-pleiss-could-be-headed-to

http://euroleagueadventures.com/euroleague-top-16-half-time-report/

I am more concerned with his name being obnoxious to type tbh

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

uh Presti

I'm not even sure if it's close to a debate, the Spurs have had one pick higher than 26 since picking Duncan in '97, a 20 (2010, James Anderson) and they pulled Manu, Tony Parker, Goran Dragic, Tiago Splitter and ten thousand effective role players out of it

a distinct case of Use Analytics to Count The Rings

MourningView posted:

refuse the fascist dictum of the German Orthography Reform of '96 and spell it Pleiss

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

MourningView posted:

It's gonna be a real chump move if his jersey says Pliess and not Pließ.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Darko had the tools to be a Vucevic with shot blocking but he was kind of hosed up mentally by the time Orlando got him. I don't know if Detroit did that or if he was always incredibly unsure of what to do on the court

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I feel like the Spurs develop better than they draft, but at some point those become essentially the same thing.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spurs have misses of their own. People say Manu and Parker as if there wasn't 30 years between them and now.

It's like when they drafted some crap French big and analysts were literally saying "I don't know who he is but the Spurs are good at this. Grade: C"

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 24, 2015

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Spurs have misses of their own. People say Manu and Parker as if there wasn't 30 years between them and now.

It's like when they drafted some crap French big and analysts were literally saying "I don't know who he is but the Spurs are good at this. Grade: C"

That was Ian Mahinmi, he wasn't listed on the 128 possible draft picks list.

The interesting thing about Spurs drafting is just how assiduously they've avoided drafting American players. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/draft.html I don't wanna take the time to do look through every team's history, it but I wouldn't be surprised if in Pop's time they've drafted 3x more Euros than any other team.

The list of Americans they've drafted in the Duncan era (17 drafts!!) who've become anything at all are Cory Joseph, George Hill, Dajuan Blair.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Igor Strelkov posted:

The interesting thing about Spurs drafting is just how assiduously they've avoided drafting American players. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/draft.html I don't wanna take the time to do look through every team's history, it but I wouldn't be surprised if in Pop's time they've drafted 3x more Euros than any other team.

The list of Americans they've drafted in the Duncan era (17 drafts!!) who've become anything at all are Cory Joseph, George Hill, Dajuan Blair.

Europeans are still kind of a market inefficiency, even with the rise of international scouting.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejuan Blair was a nice pickup for the Spurs after his stock took a tumble, poor guy can't even crack the Wizards rotation right now though

Tiago Splitter was a good pick, not because no one knew who he was (he was on mock draft radars for like 3 years before that) but because the Spurs were one of the few teams that could be patient with his buy-out. Picking the wrong side of that Luis Scola/Fabricio Oberto thing is the opposite side of this coin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Igor Strelkov posted:

Here's a list of all currently held foreign draft rights, looks like Spurs got 11 which is way more than anyone else:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/draft_rights.html
But some of those rights were traded for

Also they drafted John Salmons long ago and Slo-mo Anderson's just gotta be a starter and their 2nd rounder (60th pick) last year is currently playing minutes for the Nets because all my NY Teams are terrible

• Locked thread