Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wheeee :havlat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

kanuck posted:

It's not a great indicator, I mean look at Montreal.

Yeah, the isles have also lost a game to the Sabers in a shootout

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

How to speak Japanese:

銃撃戦性交

"gently caress the shootout"

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers
Ray :aaa:

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
gently caress G always trying the same type of shot and never being able to lift it in the end.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

holy moley

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers
:lol: FLYERS JUST LOST TO A TEAM THAT IS TRYING TO LOSE :lol:

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

that was a great save by emery

fake edit: this poo poo is going 50 rounds

read edit: Thanks for making me look dumb GCL delay

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Hrrrrrrrnnnnnnnghhhhhhhhh

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the flyers are garbage

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:smith:

kanuck
Aug 27, 2004

I must remember to follow my own advice.
Buffalo's 3rd win in 22 games. :drat:

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
sabres accidentally win

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

there's still time to stop winning games and get a better lottery shot

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Relegate the Flyers to the loving ECHL

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

good god every time I watch the Stars I feel bad. I can't believe how many quality chances I see them get and...nothing

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

.Spec posted:

good god every time I watch the Stars I feel bad. I can't believe how many quality chances I see them get and...nothing

If they can keep their offensive core, I really do think they'll look a lot better next season. Got a lot of young guys getting quality time right now on defense. And who knows? By the start of next season Jordie Benn might be shot into the sun.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

If they can keep their offensive core, I really do think they'll look a lot better next season. Got a lot of young guys getting quality time right now on defense. And who knows? By the start of next season Jordie Benn might be shot into the sun.

I told myself I was going to watch more of them at the start of the season so I hope when I tell myself that again next season they'll have acquired some sort of goaltender.

They can be a pretty fun team to watch otherwise, it always feels so gogogogogo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k

.Spec posted:

I told myself I was going to watch more of them at the start of the season so I hope when I tell myself that again next season they'll have acquired some sort of goaltender.

They can be a pretty fun team to watch otherwise, it always feels so gogogogogo

Kari has always been a bit of a headcase, but the mental hiccups seemed to come up only around playoff time. Now it's just everywhere.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
mmmm your sharbage is showing

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

idk the actual stars fans don't seem to be about so...

:siren:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
Hooray, one leaked in!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

patrick marleau snipe :hellyeah:

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

womp womp

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
This is poop and I hate it and I'm getting tired of wanting to punch Kari Lehtonen in the face.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

tommy wingels snipe :hellyeah:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Better team lost tonight, but that's nothing new to the Stars. I think this makes 7 games out of 28 they've won when they outshoot the opposition.

Can't fault the effort atleast.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Starsfan posted:

Better team lost tonight, but that's nothing new to the Stars. I think this makes 7 games out of 28 they've won when they outshoot the opposition.

Can't fault the effort atleast.

#scoreeffects

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

tofes posted:

#scoreeffects

I don't think you understand how that works.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Starsfan posted:

I don't think you understand how that works.

The Sharks outshot the Stars until they were 2 goals ahead so yes I think I know how it works

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

tofes posted:

The Sharks outshot the Stars until they were 2 goals ahead so yes I think I know how it works

Dallas had 60% of the shot attempts and if anything the scoring chances were even more lopsided. The idea behind score effects is that teams play better when they get behind, your team is still lucky as poo poo if you get pounded on the shot clock and scoring chance clock but pull off a win because of posts and a goaltender standing on his head. Believe it or not shots / scoring chances do not become less likely to go in when you're behind.

**I mean I guess if the Stars put 50 shots on the Sharks and hit 5 posts that could be hand waved away as score effects, but if they only get one or two goals from that effort I can still feel like they got cheated by the result.

***It's basically the same "logic" Colorado fans used last year to justify their team falling rear end backwards into wins. "Hey man, our team doesn't suck. The reason we get killed on the shot clock every night is because we're always ahead by a goal. Just ignore our team's PDO". Doesn't work in any large enough sample size but if it makes you feel better about taking the win then good.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 20, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Starsfan posted:

Dallas had 60% of the shot attempts and if anything the scoring chances were even more lopsided. The idea behind score effects is that teams play better when they get behind, your team is still lucky as poo poo if you get pounded on the shot clock and scoring chance clock but pull off a win because of posts and a goaltender standing on his head. Believe it or not shots / scoring chances do not become less likely to go in when you're behind.

**I mean I guess if the Stars put 50 shots on the Sharks and hit 5 posts that could be hand waved away as score effects, but if they only get one or two goals from that effort I can still feel like they got cheated by the result.

***It's basically the same "logic" Colorado fans used last year to justify their team falling rear end backwards into wins. "Hey man, our team doesn't suck. The reason we get killed on the shot clock every night is because we're always ahead by a goal. Just ignore our team's PDO". Doesn't work in any large enough sample size but if it makes you feel better about taking the win then good.

Here is a short article about score effects, I hope you read it!

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2011/3/25/2061334/frequently-asked-questions-12-score-effects

edit: Sorry I meant to say the Sharks were up by 3, not 2, when they let off the gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

tofes posted:

Here is a short article about score effects, I hope you read it!

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2011/3/25/2061334/frequently-asked-questions-12-score-effects

edit: Sorry I meant to say the Sharks were up by 3, not 2, when they let off the gas

quote:

Shooting percentage displays some of the same trends, but not all. For most of the game, there isn't much of a connection between the score and a team's shooting percentage. It's only late in the game that trailing teams start allowing a lot more scoring chances per shot while not producing high-quality chances at the other end of the ice themselves.

How do you reconcile this point with your statements? If score effects have no / minimal impact on shooting percentage except for late in the game, is it not fair to expect a team that takes 40 shots to score more goals than a team that takes 30 shots? Regardless of what order the shots were taken in? It seemed to me if anything the quality of the shot attempts went up for Dallas as the game progressed.

If Dallas allowed 40 shots in a game I'd expect them to lose, no matter what the circumstances. Not just because our goaltending is poo poo, but also because teams that allow 40 shots in a game often lose no matter who they are. Some allow 40 more often than others.

• Locked thread