Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Snak posted:

Thank god it's not just me. And even with the browse feature, the fact that, for example, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon has been cancelled, and while it says 2014-present, there's only going to be, I think one more issue.

It's mind boggling to me that, even when I find a comic I think I like, it's really hard for me to actually find any information about it. Why is this industry so unfriendly to newcomers?

I would really like for this thread to keep existing for awhile. Before finding it, I was tempted to start a "newbie questions" thread, but I think this might encompass that, because my questions aren't just about comics themselves. but about why this industry is so loving weird, even in 2015...

The Marvel site has that problem with even older runs, too. I've seen more than a few series marked as ongoing that've been finished for months, or even a year or two. I think they just don't bother updating that poo poo sometimes. It's a mess. :allears:

What comics are you trying to find information about? Or is it just the publication date stuff that was already mostly covered? I just got into mainstream comics ~a year ago so I am pretty familiar with the foibles of newcomerdom.

Slightly related: I think one of the biggest issues with comics is how much of a hold Diamond has over distribution, which kinda holds back the digital realm from what I can gather (?). It's also a weird little niche with an ever-shrinking market. That feels like a bit of a Catch-22 - the industry's fading, so they don't want to make efforts to be more accessible, but they're so inaccessible that it shrinks the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

surc posted:

(except the batman inc stuff, I didn't pick that up as it was coming out and for some reason I've never found a list that gave me the full reading order surrounding that, but that's the curse of having like 30 batman titles running at once :argh:).
I think d00gz put together a Morrison Batman reading order. It's...expansive.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Slightly related: I think one of the biggest issues with comics is how much of a hold Diamond has over distribution, which kinda holds back the digital realm from what I can gather (?). It's also a weird little niche with an ever-shrinking market. That feels like a bit of a Catch-22 - the industry's fading, so they don't want to make efforts to be more accessible, but they're so inaccessible that it shrinks the market.
Diamond isn't at all what is holding back digital sales, it's comic retailers, but, really, the entire weekly catalogs of every major publisher are published digitally at this point, so it's not even a big deal unless you're trying to find some tiny indie comic that's selling three digits, in which case, the creators are probably selling it direct, anyway.

None of that is to say Diamond isn't a problem and detriment to the industry, but it doesn't have much to do with digital sales.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I think d00gz put together a Morrison Batman reading order. It's...expansive.

Diamond isn't at all what is holding back digital sales, it's comic retailers, but, really, the entire weekly catalogs of every major publisher are published digitally at this point, so it's not even a big deal unless you're trying to find some tiny indie comic that's selling three digits, in which case, the creators are probably selling it direct, anyway.

None of that is to say Diamond isn't a problem and detriment to the industry, but it doesn't have much to do with digital sales.

Ah, okay, I think I had some things conflated there then. :shobon: In hindsight I couldn't really explain why I thought those two things were linked.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

you make an excellent point but

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I was looking at an X-Man comic a couple weeks back and it sort of stuck out to me that, like, Wolverine is the dirty guy who says bub sometimes, Cyclops is the bossy aryan ubermensch who is sad about being able to shoot death rays out of his face, and that's really the whole of the consistent thread of who they are in any of these things. It just feels like that'd get pretty boring to read about after a few issues, let alone identify with them deeply like a lot of people seem to. There was a guy at work who was really into The Flash and owned a Flash costume he liked to dress up in, but even talking to him every day I got no idea of what made the Flash interesting except he presumably saved the universe a whole bunch, just like every other superhero. I think he thinks I'm wierd now because I called Spiderman one of the angsty heroes (from the movie) instead of one of the ones who makes lots of jokes (from the comic books I guess? But not the newspaper ones). But they're all Spiderman and they call them all Spiderman without any distinctions and they're supposed to be the same guy, and there's like comic books based on the movie where Spiderman is really mopy and doesn't make jokes too. It sort of seems to me like the fortieth time Superman saves the world from ultimate annihilation, or dies but not really because it was a clone or they went back in time, you could write a much more interesting story about the things he saw going down to the corner store to get a gallon of milk, but then it's not really a story about Superman anymore. Which maybe is the point. Does it matter if you save the universe if there's a dozen parallel people saving the universe three times a week, and also they all seem to have crossovers so you have to buy dozens of comic books to have any clear idea what's going on for like a twenty-page stretch? What if the world got destroyed and they just left it that way and never changed it back, I think that'd be kinda cool, give actual weight to everything being superhumanly powerful and bigger than a city. Like someone was trying to explain to me why Darkseid was supposed to be a really big deal because he's always almost beating all the heroes and taking over everything, but he's a goof in a bad suit who seems less menacing than any kid with his dad's gun because the kid can shoot someone and they'll stay dead forever, and nobody they know will ever be able to bring them back, and that person probably had a life that was more than a design doc of vocal quirks and a CV of times they saved the universe anyway. IDK if there's something I'm missing where it's only the comic books I read that suck or if I just missed the boat because I didn't get into the habit of buying them all at age 8, I know I was really into lego then and a lot of people don't really 'get it' when I get all excited about spring steel now, am I the comic books guy of buggy frames and robot parts and I just don't know it, I just wanted to have a fun conversation with that dude at work

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

and that person probably had a life that was more than a design doc of vocal quirks and a CV of times they saved the universe anyway. IDK if there's something I'm missing where it's only the comic books I read that suck

That is what they are, really. Superheros are costumes and lists of powers and obvious traits, they're not person-like characters with personalities and real feelings. They're these totemic figures that entertain people with really broad performances. It's like asking why the acrobats at the circus have different personalities different times.

Now on the other hand, if you open up a comic book and see spiderman crying because his wife had a miscarriage, this explanation doesn't seem to fit, but it's all some kind of ritual theater where children and other people with restricted lives get to feel the thrill of Drama in an emotionally nonthreatening, purely narrative way. I think. If you look at that and feel it has nothing to offer you, which i do, then the burden of caring about super heroes has been lifted from your shoulders:angel:

e: the crossovers are really bad though. i don't know if they've gotten better since i was a kid but the extent to which the Death of Superman stories for example were actually about a million other interchangeable super guys who i never and will never know about was frustrating and made it hard to understand or care about anything I was reading

swamp waste fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 4, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Comics are for pedantic nerds to slapfight over who's the most progressive lover of alternate universe transsexual batman

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Remember when the slapfight was who'd win in a fight goku or superman? Good times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

hup posted:

Remember when the slapfight was who'd win in a fight goku or superman? Good times

Or about the Hulk's genitals. Or if Batman could take down Superman, or if Wolverine could survive the depths of space without O2.

New comic nerds, man. They just don't get why kids love cinnamon toast crunch

• Locked thread