Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacMillan
Dec 21, 2013

You're just the afterbirth, Eli. You slithered out on your mother's filth. They should have put you in a glass jar on a mantlepiece.
About to move from Houston to Austin, TX this summer with my brother. 21/m I'm an accounting intern at a logistics company and I'm going for my associates of science (gearing towards physics) at a local community college. Any info on helicopter training near the hill country would be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

MacMillan posted:

About to move from Houston to Austin, TX this summer with my brother. 21/m I'm an accounting intern at a logistics company and I'm going for my associates of science (gearing towards physics) at a local community college. Any info on helicopter training near the hill country would be greatly appreciated.

Prepare to spend $100k on training and then either not having any jobs, or flying the same route back and forth all day everyday for minimum wage in an r-44 for tourists until you have 1000 hours and then pray to the helicopter gods that some old geezer dies and you get a shot to transition to turbine.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

invision posted:

Prepare to spend $100k on training and then either not having any jobs, or flying the same route back and forth all day everyday for minimum wage in an r-44 for tourists until you have 1000 hours and then pray to the helicopter gods that some old geezer dies and you get a shot to transition to turbine.

Wow sounds very much above average career prospects in this current economic climate

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Wow sounds very much above average career prospects in this current economic climate

Uh the economy has been booming, why do people still think it's 2008.

OP : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3666859

tsa fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 21, 2015

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tsa posted:

Uh the economy has been booming, why do people still think it's 2008.

OP : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3666859

Recovering from a terrible recession does not = booming. :psyduck:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's not, at all.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you want to fly helicopters, join the Army, and get them to pay you while they teach you how to fly heavy multiengine turbine helicopters. The civilian rotary-wing career path has outliers that are extremely happy with the way things turned out, but its mostly broken dreams and depression.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Also post in here. Most of the talk is planes, but it's the aviation thread, and there's quite a few helicopter people that post in it as well.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Did their post say they were wanting to train on helicopters for career prospects, or for fun? It's early so maybe I'm reading them wrong. I have a fixed wing pilot's license and no aspirations to fly for a living.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ytlaya posted:

Recovering from a terrible recession does not = booming. :psyduck:

We've never had job growth, like ever, similar to what has happened in the past year and a half. Wages are starting to go up and it's becoming very difficult to find qualified people for jobs again. Booming is the correct word when talking about jobs. Anyone even halfway competent should have no trouble finding a job, hell even loving Wal Mart is raising wages.

Some areas of the economy aren't really booming like oil and finance, but this is a historically very very good moment for job seekers.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 25, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
OP, I'm sure you've been able to find the helicopter training schools available in Austin using Google or whatever. I looked around the AOPA forums for personal recommendations but didn't find anything (and that forum is mostly fixed wing anyway). If I hear of any one of them being better than the others, I'll let you know.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MacMillan posted:

Go military. Hope you make a helo pilot slot and let the government pay for it. But you likely won't get it with an associates degree. And an intern's salary won't nearly cover the costs if you decide to go private instruction.

Helo training, unless paid for the Uncle Sam, is almost always a bad idea. And even if it's paid for by the military, it's still a bad idea.

Unless you're extremely wealthy.

Go fixed wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Tide posted:

Go military. Hope you make a helo pilot slot and let the government pay for it. But you likely won't get it with an associates degree. And an intern's salary won't nearly cover the costs if you decide to go private instruction.

Helo training, unless paid for the Uncle Sam, is almost always a bad idea. And even if it's paid for by the military, it's still a bad idea.

Unless you're extremely wealthy.

Go fixed wing.

The Army is drawing down a bit, but you only need a high school diploma to go in as a Warrant Officer and fly. That said, if you go Active you're making the Army your career, with flying a secondary concern, and if you go Guard, you're essentially getting a full time part time job with the added bonus of deploying for a year every three years. If you want to fly helicopters for a living you'd better be willing to relocate, and it'll take you a long time to log enough hours to be employable anyway.

• Locked thread