Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the thing is, we've had veggie days since at least when i was a kid 20 years ago. back then, about once per week we'd get porridge and like, juice thickened with potato or corn starch. sounds lame but guess what? everyone loved it.

now the political process is more transparent and the politicians, board of education or whoever is in charge of the menu actually tell us that they've made a decision to serve vegetarian food once per week, it's suddenly a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

My UK school lunches were actually really tasty until I needed gluten free ones when I was like 8 and the lunch ladies were like do u like tuna which I did so I ate tuna just a can of tuna emptied on a plate with like potatoes or chips maybe 4 days every week until I couldn't look at tuna anymore. When I stopped going I got a talking to from the head lunch lady about how it was really rude of me because now they have all this loving tuna

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Zzulu posted:

dont know what that is

looks like hominy to me, hominy and nuttin else

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hemophilia posted:

The harpies got rid of the pizza and introduced 'salad' and other 'healthy' items but otherwise nothing changed about the food.

Thanks retards with your health panic.

That's the thing about "healthy" school lunches in the US.

:byodood: "WE NEED HEALTHIER LUNCHES!"

*Serves bland iceberg lettuce (which the kids cover in ranch dressing) and some cheap vegetable boiled to the point where it can't be considered solid food anymore*

:byodood: "WHY DON'T KIDS LIKE THE HEALTHY FOOD?"

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

Professor Shark posted:

The schools that I teach in just give free breakfast to everyone. Oddly enough it's the poorer students who don't take advantage of it because they don't want to be seen as being poor, even if everyone is eating :psyduck:

At my high school the buses arrived in the morning like 2 minutes before first period began, yet they served breakfast in the cafeteria every day. I always wondered who was eating it because most of us never had time. Faculty? Students with weird early morning things to do?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
In grade school in Minneapolis, we had ridiculously bad food in the mid 80's. We used to get sliders with the bottom half soaked in grease and the top half too dry to eat. We also had Tony's pizzas and gas station burritos available every day. They tasted like death but we ate them any way. On days that they served mac and cheese, it was so bad that I was mocked by my peers for not having brought a lunch from home.

Once we moved up north, the food improved tremendously. Those lunch ladies could make anything and everything out of commodities. We had homemade fried chicken and biscuits twice a week like clockwork and had an open campus so we could run downtown and eat with no questions asked.

It was a different time

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I went to school in Bumfuck Nowhere, Australia, which did not have a cafeteria area at all, each year group had a set area they were supposed to eat in. The canteen was a little brick shop window that you could buy poo poo from, or you could put in a 'lunch order' - you wrote what you wanted on a paper bag, put the money in the bag, and when you got the bag back at lunchtime it would have whatever food you ordered in it. The food was mostly restricted to toasted sandwiches, pies, and other unhealthy poo poo - they did have salads available but they were pretty much just a tub of grated carrot and iceburg lettuce that was now pink because they always slapped a couple of slices of beetroot on top. At one point they tried not selling pies and sausage rolls and offering healthy things, but the healthy things were more expensive so a lot of aboriginal population of the school just got no lunch as opposed to a kind of lovely lunch, so it went back to pies every day pretty quickly.

The year after I graduated they did finish building a brand-new canteen with seating and a kitchen equipped with more than just a pie warmer and sandwich grill, but I have no idea what kinds of food they give out now.

spud posted:

Is that a loving Pinecone? I know the French eat allsorts....snails, frogs....but pinecones?

:ssh: it's an artichoke

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
the corn goes into the mashed potatoes

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i think what the kids eat at home is a bigger problem when it comes to obesity tbh

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

phobo posted:

the corn goes into the mashed potatoes

Break up a hamburger patty in there and you have a low-grade shepherds pie.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005
http://www.cnn.com/video/shows/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown/season-3/lyon/

In Lyon, France, the lunch lady is actually a trained chef.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Kirs posted:

Guess what country it is.

Guessing from the sheer ammount of tea and funky blockbread, Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Lufiron posted:

http://www.cnn.com/video/shows/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown/season-3/lyon/

In Lyon, France, the lunch lady is actually a trained chef.

that seems stupid, why would you need staff that knows how to cook food to cook food for people

• Locked thread