Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I think it's serious guys, I need some advice here:

Does it look bad?

(The EOD badge is also called the "Crab" cause it looks vaguely like a crustacean if you squint real hard :thatsthejoke: Now that graduation is around the corner, I can safely say that it turns out learning how to not explode when touching things designed to explode is actually really hard. Also PT will forever suck if you are a giant goon nerd babby like I am. Also also make sure you goons actually put effort into college or you'll end up having to blow poo poo up for a living with lots of C-4 instead of becoming a wildlife conservationist)

I'll make some post about the badge/robots/cool bomb suits that you'll never use at some point, but for now I'm just happy to be done with this accursed school and want to tell goons about it so whatevs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

eat them w/ butter

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015
what is that

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
proud of you, OP, but drat pissed about the misdirect

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

gbaby posted:

what is that

This thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosive_Ordnance_Disposal_Badge

Basically we get to die/become quadriplegics in horrible explosions while trying to make exploding things safe for other dudes (usually by making them explode).

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
you know who else something to do with medals? hitler

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I thought you just used robots these days

gbaby
Feb 6, 2015

Hector Beerlioz posted:

why not use crabs?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Whenever possible, yeah

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PackBot

Robots are really awesome, except when they break down/can't reach stuff/revolt against their human oppressors, so there will always be a human element somewhere

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Do y'all ever race the bomb robots and bet on them?

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sweet Tea posted:

eat them w/ butter

lol butt.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Where else do you think butter comes from?

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I hope you die OP

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax
if u have real life crabs u just shave off ur pubes and they're gone, right?"

right?!!??!

jarvis cocker
Dec 16, 2007

by Lowtax

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I hope you die OP

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I hope you try to defuse with one Terrorist left and he AWPs you across the map.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I hope you try to defuse with one Terrorist left and he AWPs you across the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_Vhdfao0Zs

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I hope you die OP

Well, considering the current political climate, I'd say you'd have a pretty good chance of getting your wish granted sooner rather than later.

Gonna try to avoid dying, though. All the consumer reports on being a ghost have been really negative as of late.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my friend's fiance has a brother in law that did that in iraq. he's a swat guy now. pretty sure also a paranoid racist

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

(The EOD badge is also called the "Crab" cause it looks vaguely like a crustacean if you squint real hard :thatsthejoke: Now that graduation is around the corner, I can safely say that it turns out learning how to not explode when touching things designed to explode is actually really hard. Also PT will forever suck if you are a giant goon nerd babby like I am. Also also make sure you goons actually put effort into college or you'll end up having to blow poo poo up for a living with lots of C-4 instead of becoming a wildlife conservationist)

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Frog Act posted:

my friend's fiance has a brother in law that did that in iraq. he's a swat guy now. pretty sure also a paranoid racist

Sounds about right

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I'll ask the obvious question.... How realistic is "the hurt locker"?

Reference for people that have not seen it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bwCEE7m38VM

Bishop fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 21, 2015

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Bishop posted:

I'll ask the obvious question.... How realistic is "the hurt locker"?

Reference for people that have not seen it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bwCEE7m38VM

It's about as accurate as any film-representation of military careers...which is to say "not really."

That guy in the beginning would have had a decent chance to live if he was facing the IED with the suit on.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Heh, I just watched that scene and one dude jokes that they should start a business selling grass in Baghdad and the other responds that they could sell crab grass. Maybe the movie is bullshit but there's no way I would get that reference until this thread

E: so the shock wave from a bomb that size going off wouldn't scramble your brains at that range? I literally have no idea but I find it to be interesting

Bishop fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 21, 2015

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Oh there'd be all sorts of fun internal hemorrhaging and you would be deaf as all hell, but you could feasibly survive the blast wave with enough distance and protection. In the scene I think it's implied that a chunk of frag careening into the back of the dude's skull is what did him in (the visor gets all bloody a second after the thing detonates). Frag is p. much the worst thing when it comes to explosions.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqldA6vdvMk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Are they cute? Take a picture!

• Locked thread