Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Problem description: Recently, my games started showing a drastic decrease in performance. On Guild Wars 2 with max settings and a custom shader mod installed for improved graphics, I was getting 80-100 FPS. Now I'm getting 15-30 FPS. In League of Legends on max settings it showed 200 FPS, and now shows 30-50 FPS. I just tested the Unigine Valley Benchmark on ExtremeHD setting and got a low score of 886 with an fps in the 20s.

Edit: Attempted to overclock gpu and trying it on heaven benchmark. Baseline score of 1007 avg 40fps. Got it up to 1197~ avg 47 fps so far. This does not seem to have helped in my games at all.

Attempted fixes: Ran Malwarebytes to check for malware, set CPU priority to Realtime while in game, not sure what else to do. Attempted an OC of the GPU. Set nvidia settings to "max performance". All drivers are up to date. Rolled back GPU driver to the one it was on before issues, still no fix. All temps are appropriate (33C CPU and 65C OC GPU)

Recent changes: None that I can think of. Just regular Windows updates.

--

Operating system: Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate

System specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card (
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VN248H 23.8" Monitor

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Note: PC is only a week or two old.

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai_2000
Feb 17, 2015
Do you have any errors in the Event Viewer?

Also, are you running any type of antivirus besides Malware bytes?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

cesaov1 posted:

Do you have any errors in the Event Viewer?

Also, are you running any type of antivirus besides Malware bytes?

Microsoft Security Essentials.

Ok I found Event Viewer, but not sure what I'm looking for here. I think I found where all the errors show up, but I have no idea what half of them mean.

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 22, 2015

Sai_2000
Feb 17, 2015
Go to Windows Logs then System. Do you see any errors about the hard disk?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

cesaov1 posted:

Go to Windows Logs then System. Do you see any errors about the hard disk?
The only disk error I found was this:

On 2/16/15:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\DR3.

And I think it might have been related to a USB flash drive I had plugged in, because Disk0 is my SSD and Disk1 is my HDD, and there is no Disk2 on my system.

Edit:

I just did benchmarking tests with MSI Kombustor and all my scores are similar to other people with my card. So apparently this is only happening in the games I'm playing, and not with the actual card during benchmarks? What would cause that?

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 22, 2015

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I fixed it! So, I downloaded a CPU Park Management tool. It showed my CPU operating at 5%?? It was at 0.79GHz. I have no idea what made it do this, but I used the tool to boost it up to 100% (3.3GHz) and now my fps problems are gone!

So..the important question is..what would cause my CPU to run at such a low speed?

Seems it's running at max speeds all the time now. However, looking at Task Manager when idle it's showing minimal CPU usage (albeit at max speed). I am ok with this. I just want to know what the hell caused it to run at 5%. :iiam:

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sai_2000
Feb 17, 2015
Cool. Glad to hear that you fixed it.

Regarding why it was set to 5% speed, it could be your power settings. I usually set my computer to high performance. Also speedstep can mess around with your CPU clock since it dynamically changes it depending on the load.

• Locked thread