Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Ut was good.

I prefered Q3 though.

I dunno.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
UT was loving dumb with that double jumping poo poo

learn to strafe jump you fist-handed GAY LORD

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Q3 had CURVED SURFACES.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131572/implementing_curved_surface_.php

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
i really liked UT99 it was a fun game.

i spent a lot more time overall in cs and tfc tho

escalator incident
Oct 1, 2005

Sorry for the convenience.
Fun Shoe
UT was the obviously superior choice but in Quake 3 you could do all kinds of hosed up trick jumping and strafing that would exploit the game physics. There was a whole nerd subculture of people just jumping around maps as fast as they could https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAVsJI2PCiM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2t38FLYZC0

escalator incident fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 22, 2015

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
UT2003 sucked

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
counter strike was better than both q3 and UT. Back then I thought it was refreshing to go from the sci-fi environments to a "realistic" one with like AK47s and terrorists and stuff. I had no idea it'd be copied so much and so many times after that point on

Bruce Ivins
Aug 7, 2008

Rutibex posted:

i have pwned more noobs in dm-deck16 than any other virtual environment. i could play that level blindfolded, and still grab the redeemer first and detonate it center of the map

Lol if you play any UT game with the redeemer left in.. it would appear that you are the noob

UT2k4 was far and away the best (2k3 was under appreciated but the shield gun was a little too strong and high level matches got a little too turtle-y)

Capture the flag draft leagues were the poo poo though. The translocator was such a genius balancing mechanism (better than the grappling hooks from quake games which were fun but really map dependent)

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
we would play ut at lan parties and my friend would always whoop my rear end but I could reliably own him by getting the snot gun, getting him to chase me down a hallway and leaving a supercharged snot mine on the wall behind me

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
im good at the ut and the tribes and if i see you stand still and do a shock combo ill shout outSTANDING combo at my montior i am well adjusdted

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
tribes 2 is the only game where engy spam is cool(because you get to tear it down.) actually wolf:et too

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Since call of duty is based off of quake 3 does this tech show up in any noticeable way or are computers just powerful enough nowadays to brute force the rendering?

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Nefarious posted:

we would play ut at lan parties and my friend would always whoop my rear end but I could reliably own him by getting the snot gun, getting him to chase me down a hallway and leaving a supercharged snot mine on the wall behind me
The best games are those played with friends.

You can't see, but I am nodding sagely.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bruce Ivins posted:

Lol if you play any UT game with the redeemer left in.. it would appear that you are the noob

lol if you didn't blast people with phasers and shrink rays and samurai swords with the Unreal4Ever mutator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tb8Sq538V0

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkK5D_vLZd0

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nefarious posted:

i forgot about that gun

killing people with that gun ruled

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Bruce Ivins posted:

UT2k4 was far and away the best (2k3 was under appreciated but the shield gun was a little too strong and high level matches got a little too turtle-y)

Capture the flag draft leagues were the poo poo though. The translocator was such a genius balancing mechanism (better than the grappling hooks from quake games which were fun but really map dependent)

one time when our team was clearly losing a ctf match in a lan party i spawned a ton of invulnerable unreal warlords that fire deemers
summon unreali.warlord
admin set warlord reduceddamagetype all
admin set warlord projectileclass botpack.warshell
spam summon and watch the game become completely unplayable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

thats my fuckin jam

• Locked thread