Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I have an Alienware M17X with Windows 7 and the problem I have is that the fans run to max as soon as it starts.

I have stripped the fans down and cleaned them and it looks spotless inside but it still ramps to max around 2 minutes after booting it up.

Occasionally I will start it and it works fine, I run the World Community Grid app which loads up the processors and I can hear it working as intended, the fans running up and down as they are supposed to, but this is happening maybe one out of every five starts.

When it runs to max the laptop still works perfectly, it's just really loud and I'm worried the fans won't last for long running flat out constantly.

Any help much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Have you tried the fan settings (such as manual control) in Alienware's Command Center? It seems like the auto settings are on the fritz (which ideally you should be able to manipulate in Command Center).

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Have you tried the fan settings (such as manual control) in Alienware's Command Center? It seems like the auto settings are on the fritz (which ideally you should be able to manipulate in Command Center).

I have looked in Command Center and unless I am really dumb there's nowhere to play with the fan settings.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Is there a BIOS update available?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Alereon posted:

Is there a BIOS update available?

No.

I ran a system maintenance thing, shut down a load of programs that started on boot up, and it still does it. Driving me somewhat bonkers now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

OK found it after 5 hours of Googling utter poo poo by people who answer every fan problem with "Heat lolz"

It's an update from Dell that applied something called Dell Vault, which after unchecking in services has cured it.

Thanks for the help, all done.

• Locked thread