Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
just use trello, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
also lol at gantt charts. just generate daily burndowns of your monolithic task pile and then youll know when your project will be done (if the date it predicts is later than your release date, all u have to do is remove tasks!)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my job mandates ms project but all the real management of the timeline is done in a sharepoint issues list lmbo

i use omnifocus and omniplan as my master, have templates for the whole sdlc in there its pretty sick (as in i am going to vomit thinking about it)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

my most effective peer does 100% of her project management in powerpoint with a free timeline plugin she got off an adware site - your softwre doesnt rly matter its much more important to understand what everyone needs to do and who you need to talk to

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol @ all you loving corporate drones who haven't heard Zed Shaw's Programming Motherfuckers Manifesto.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you stick around at the same company long enough to actually care if a big project eventually gets completed or not

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mishaq posted:

lol if you stick around at the same company long enough to actually care if a big project eventually gets completed or not

i really wish i could get some intel on how $FUCKIN_STUPID_PROJECT_THAT_I_WAS_RAILING_AGAINST_BECAUSE_IT_WAS_STUPID is going back at the ol' batwings

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jonny 290 posted:

i really wish i could get some intel on how $FUCKIN_STUPID_PROJECT_THAT_I_WAS_RAILING_AGAINST_BECAUSE_IT_WAS_STUPID is going back at the ol' batwings

haha i have a good friend still at oldjob and he is always bitching about how lovely and stupid the lovely and stupid projects that we both said were lovely and stupid are

it's really funny

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
Projects are fun and good. I have never had a Project not turn out excellently.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Kirk posted:

how's freshman year going

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Kirk posted:

your posting project has been a disaster thusfar

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
speaking of project management been having to set up the backend for this poo poo

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I think I’m going to create the ultimate software development methodology. It’ll be revolutionary compared to others because it will focus on the one thing that gets software done. Its entire focus will be this one, glorious, completely useful activity for writing software. It’s name even embodies the perfection of this programming methodology. The name is:
Programming, Motherfucker

That’s right, my software development methodology will be: programming, motherfucker.

How will we solve problems? By programming, motherfucker.

How will we do testing? By programming, motherfucker.

How will be complete tasks on time and under budget? By programming, motherfucker.

How will we make sure the programmers are happy and doing their jobs? By programming, motherfucker.

Obviously there’s some details to this so let’s lay out how you do this amazing new process:

Write out a list of poo poo to do, using software written with some programming, motherfucker.
Do some of the poo poo, again using programming, motherfucker.
Test if that poo poo’s any good, and if not then go fix it with programming, motherfucker.

Then you just run this in a while loop until it’s done. It’s awesome because it does the one thing that actually gets software up and running. Pretty much all the other methodologies are about the analog to Programming, Motherfucker which is…
Management, rear end in a top hat

To help with Programming, Motherfucker, you need some Management, rear end in a top hat. Management, rear end in a top hat is all about making sure that Programming is allowed to happen, Motherfucker. Management goes out and sees if the poo poo being built will sell, runs the business, tracks what’s going on, works out the marketing, figures out the strategic plans, orders the cookies and sodas, anything that’s not…Programming, Motherfucker.

To do Management, rear end in a top hat, you just do this:

Find out what the customers want by asking them.
Get what the Programming Motherfuckers need to get poo poo done.
Tell the Programming Motherfuckers when their poo poo is not good enough to sell.

It’d work great. I’m sure of it, and poo poo, it’s gotta be better than whatever obsession has gripped the software industry these days since it’s actually doing…Programming, Motherfucker.

P.S. If you need it to have a Japanese sounding name, then call it “Puroguramingu, Mazaafakkaa”

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm zed shaw and i just learned the eff word

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Fabricated posted:

speaking of project management been having to set up the backend for this poo poo

hire some loving designers jesus christ

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

hire some loving designers jesus christ

its used primarily for building construction management and its an oracle product so it is a gigantic piece of poo poo

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Kirk posted:

working on a project that becomes a catastrophic failure is character building and will teach you more about How To Get poo poo Done than a bunch of successful ones ever will. everyone should have to suffer through it once, then never speak of it again except in hushed tones to other people who failed with them.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Fabricated posted:

this triggered my ptsd

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Fabricated posted:

its used primarily for building construction management and its an oracle product so it is a gigantic piece of poo poo

lol i host primavera and its a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge POS

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Kirk posted:

just use trello, op
honestly i can tell just from the screenshots that its a fuckin mess

basecamp is decent but it is clearly designed for programmers, and not for people who need to track the status of work items vis a vis clients – like color coding, which items are we waiting on clients to get back to us about, which items are on us, where in our process cycle is this item vs that item and etc etc

afaik its basically a cute way of sharing to do lists, which is helpful but pretty weak mayne

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Fabricated posted:

Yeah construction yard foremen are totally gonna understand and make use of all those tiny icons lining the entire content frame

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we use microsoft excel and microsoft outlook and exchange to email the microsoft excel files back and forth, op

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Wells posted:

Are all the people saying excel referring to a file that gets emailed around, or does excel have some kind of functioning cloud storage/collaborative editing thing nowadays?

a netwrok drive with a 'shared' version of the excel document.i dont know how the shared functionality really works because i just write code and keep track of everythying in a .txt file and if my boss wants to know whats up i hurridly edit the excel file and send her the file path

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

and then (if i remember) i copy it to a svn directory and commit it so offshore can pretend like they know what we're doing

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

oh at one place i worked the project management was handled by a deaf woman with one of those big tearpads

she drew pretty charts

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

As a Millennial I posted:

By programming, motherfucker.

i'm doing this job right now where i'm doing front-end, back-end, building and deployment, testing, and making the odd ad-hoc design choice

all i knew at the beginning was that i wanted to use node and javascript

i kind of wish i had a better idea of my software stack beyond that in the beginning. basically i wish i had 5 years more experience at the beginning lol cause then i would have just don't everything right the first time.

but i can see some value in project management, or at least having a plan

i've built a few things now just to be town down and replaced by some better middleware i didn't know existed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes it tuns out 90% of the time the problem you want to solve has already been solved by someone else

most of my job is finding creative new way do avoid doing anything, which is why planning is key

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hey op what is your favorite requirements generation and management tool

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?
no matter which choice you make, it will be the wrong one

I used trac at my last job and it was probably the least worst thing

current job, we have at least 3-4 different systems depending on who it's for :effort:

Whiskerando posted:

just realized we attach commits to JIRA tickets using a custom git hook script :negative:
stop now, before its too late

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kirk posted:

also lol at gantt charts. just generate daily burndowns of your monolithic task pile and then youll know when your project will be done (if the date it predicts is later than your release date, all u have to do is remove tasks!)

just burn down you're project instead, lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Captain Foo posted:

just burn down you're project instead, lol

this happens more often than you'd think

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody posted:

hey op what is your favorite requirements generation and management tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I can tell you what isn't my favorite requirements system: a 40 page word brd pointing to a two thousand line business rules spreadsheet

• Locked thread