Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In my limited experience, down to 1918 it's perfectly understandable, the earlier than that the less intelligible it becomes, with "point of no return" around late 18th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The major thing with Russian is that the alphabet changed a few times (last time being 1917), with certain letters appearing or being discarded, so that alone makes reading old texts a bitch.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Dropping letters isn't such a big deal. I'd say around Peter the Great's time you would still be able to figure it out, assuming you are well read enough to know archaic synonyms for things.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Yeah, stuff around Peter the Great's time is still legible but earlier texts tend to get more and more confusing, with medieval Russian probably being harder to understand than medieval English. As for pre-Revolution alphabet, it's not that different from the current one (it has the latin "i" instead of и and the archaic almost never pronounceable "Ѣ") - I have been recently reading some scans of WW1 era Russian newspapers and I understand everything perfectly, oddly enough the Russian of that time has perhaps even more foreign words in it, there are many English and French loan words. Currently, the letter "ё" is being phased out of use and people tend to write "е" instead, which is probably extremely confusing for foreigners learning Russian because you're just supposed to know which words have a "ё" in them even if it's not spelled. There are people who stand up for "ё" but nobody except for monarchists defends "Ѣ".

Cat Planet fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 17, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I can probably make some sense of much earlier texts, despite the fuckers' tendency to drop all vowels and squish the consonants together. As for Ѣ, people only seem to use it in fake "ye olde" speech, I have never seen anyone seriously advocate for its return.

Edit: ё is a perfectly reasonable and necessary character.

• Locked thread