Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open container
Sep 16, 2008
Well hello, and welcome to the Proper Opossum Poetry Corner. Ya know, it takes a special opossum to appreciate poetry. I am so proud, and, as we all know, every opossum comes with an elephant to remind us that the vast majority of possums belong outside. So if you see one there, leave it there. If you come across an ill, injured, or orphaned possum, contact a professional wildlife rehabilitator immediately. If after all this you're still left with an opossum, well, deck that animal out in black and take it to a poetry reading! We at MEpearl are sponsoring a poetry contest featuring, that's right, the possum! Winning entries will be read at the next Proper Opossum Poetry Corner. Meanwhile, pull up a possum and enjoy.

Oh! Possum,
you are everywhere.
Revel in ubiquity you vessel of antiquity!
You promise of tomorrow,
proof of yesterday.
Fifty million years defying evolution!
Oh possum,
Confusing muse of sages through the ages,
once you shared the stage with dinosaurs,
were linked with scores of smarter species gone extinct,
were on the brink yourself a time or two,
and yet!
Somehow~
Beneath that brow,
shines bright!
The light!
Of now.

And here we have a poem telepathically transmitted by Apple:

Apple Sauce
Apple sauce in dirt
I like my foot
dark, blankee, sleeep...
Ow! Apple sauce.
Blankee...sauce.

Ohhhh! Let's snap for Apple.
And now, friends, if you have poetry in your soul and have been waiting for the proper theme to release it, now is the hour. Write that poem about the possum in your life and submit it here in the comments section or in the poetry corner of our website at https://www.mepearl.com. Both you and your possum will be glad you did. All right. Until next time, bye. Bye bye.

Hahahahah! All right. Bye bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

Some people have pets that are "outside" dogs/cats, why cant we just sorta domesticate raccoons? Like they mostly take care of themselves and dont destroy your house, but still come by for you to pet and teach tricks and stuff when youre in your hanging out in your back yard that would kick rear end

I knew a guy who sort of did this. Every night at around 8:45 there would be a little knock at his back door, and it would be a pair of raccoons. He'd give them each a boiled egg, that they'd sit on the porch and eat then they would pile up all the discarded shells next his door before they left. Pretty cute, but I still wouldn't want one as a pet.

JebanyPedal posted:

I think the raccoon was attacking the dudes dog or something so you don't have to feel bad at all.

Yeah, in the full video you can see it mauling his dog.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
you can't domesticate anything with thumbs,

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

you can't domesticate anything with thumbs,

worked pretty good on people

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

I feel terrible. That coon probably had a family. He was some coon''s child.

Coons aren't people

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Coons aren't people

mods??

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Ahahaha that is some awesome dog whistle racism guys!!! so ironic and edgy!

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

Ahahaha that is some awesome dog whistle racism guys!!! so ironic and edgy!

haha nice... now we just need this guy to bust out some ironic slurs, maybe about 30 of them, as some sort of countermeasure

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Coons are 2/3 people

FTFY

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

sexy young infidel posted:

haha nice... now we just need this guy to bust out some ironic slurs, maybe about 30 of them, as some sort of countermeasure

I don't think you understand the order of these things man, that's not quite how it works.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

swing and a miss keep your eye on the ball

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
mods please move this thread to pet island

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

proof of concept posted:

swing and a miss keep your eye on the ball

I'm not 3/5ths of a person I'm not good at team based ball sport

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

LOOK AT HIS LITTLE HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

:dance:

Too much cute in one video.

open container
Sep 16, 2008

Pawn 17 posted:

I challenge anyone to transcribe this in one sitting.

I still haven't received my prize :smoobles:

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

gggiiimmmppp posted:

opossums actually make good pets for wild animals, as they are pretty clean, they don't smell, and they can be litter trained. also they are pro mouse/bug hunters. they're like big, ugly cats with prehensile tails that eat trash

yeah but the maintenance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ttVP2cyK4

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Mouse! (I'm rereading the Dresden series)

Nooner posted:

Some people have pets that are "outside" dogs/cats, why cant we just sorta domesticate raccoons? Like they mostly take care of themselves and dont destroy your house, but still come by for you to pet and teach tricks and stuff when youre in your hanging out in your back yard that would kick rear end
I sorta had this one summer. But then someone shot it in the spine with buckshot from a pellet gun, I think, it didn't come back after I saw the wound. He/she was pretty cute, though. Not that we cuddled because raccoons are wild animals. But it was pretty polite when it held the spoon for the soft cat food. Oh yeah. And they wash their hands when they're done eating.

The ones that got into the crawlspace of my old house sucked though. I think they constantly had domestic disputes.

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 25, 2015

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Only raccoon experience I had was seeing one at the side of a neighbor's house just wailing on their wall for no reason.
Like he had his hands over his head slamming them into the wall.
Dunno what the gently caress his deal was.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Stoic Commie posted:

too intelligent

We literally had to make wolves dumber in order to get domesticated dogs, so yeah.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Gabriel Pope posted:

We literally had to make wolves dumber in order to get domesticated dogs, so yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb11TtPwBxo

open mouth kiss wolves itt

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

RIP in peace l'il coon.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Raccoons have been known to exhibit dominance aggression towards children. They are borderline psychotic and dangerously intelligent. Also the Native Americans had dogs who were superior pets in every way.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

amityville anus posted:

It is because they are very dense animals. A full grown raccoon is ~100lbs low-end

Why do people post stuff like this hahaha

I guess me looking it up means I am owned

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Carol Pizzamom posted:

yes actually

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
A buddy of mine hunts urban raccoons. When he's hunting he will go out and set bait near 20 dumpsters and then drive around from dumpster to dumpster and shoot any raccons with a .22 rifle from his truck. He said he used to use traps but the raccoons figured them out pretty quickly. Before too long all of the critters just up and vanished. The bait was always gone but he never saw any coons.

We figured it out one night when we drove my car. The coons were right there. Turns out they had learned to recognize the sound of his particular truck and make themselves scarce before he got there.

Fun fact. When you sell the carcasses for meat you have to leave the paws on because people were killing cats and passing them off as coons.

Yes, I do live in Florida.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

who's buying dumpster coon meat exactly

and why would the kind of person who's buying dumpster coon meat object to inadvertently eating a stray cat

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

and why would the kind of person who's buying dumpster coon meat object to inadvertently eating a stray cat

Braised dumpster coon with discarded lime peels is sublime.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Mostly black dudes in their 70s. They grew up eating raccoon and I guess they miss it. Going rate is $15/carcass. They also love tortise, but killing those is very illegal. You can go around town capping all of the raccoons you want as long the cops know you and are friendly and you have a trapper's licence.

Degenerate Star
Oct 27, 2005
unlikely
The only raccoons I've met up close and personal have been the rabid motherfuckers that turned up to die in my backyard over the last couple of years.

Doesn't seem like they're much more fun when their brains aren't swiss cheese.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Paging Everdraed to the thread

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

PhotoKirk posted:

LOOK AT HIS LITTLE HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

:dance:

Too much cute in one video.

anytime an animal does a cute thing i want to kiss it, so i probably would have been dead at 12 a couple thousand years ago

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

They're actually really smart, but the problem is they're almost too smart to study. Many raccoon lab studies at the turn of the century failed because the subjects either escaped or proved too inconvenient to be contained, because they are smart fuckers who specialize in getting out of captivity. The science on them isn't really set because of that. One old, old (like 1910 era) study found that they could identify patterns in light bulbs going on and off comparable to human toddlers (a comparative peak only reached by orang-utans, chimps, dolphins, crows, and elephants, the total badasses of the animal cognitive world), and they did so while not actually being orientated to the light. So in a way they're too aggressively intelligent to test like other animals, instead preferring a STFU attitude by escaping and/or inflicting rabies on their researchers.

naem
May 29, 2011

Raccoons have been introduced to Europe as an invasive species and they're going nuts over there

Also pls change my name to dumpster coon meat thnks

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

Raccoons have been introduced to Europe as an invasive species and they're going nuts over there

Also pls change my name to dumpster coon meat thnks

Racoons are like aggressive squirrel reality.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Its actually true, I lifted one once.

Still, :downsowned:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Frostwerks posted:

animals called coons good at stealing, film at 11

now we gotta domesticate some slylock foxes to solve all these cooncrimes

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Mostly black dudes in their 70s. They grew up eating raccoon and I guess they miss it. Going rate is $15/carcass. They also love tortise, but killing those is very illegal. You can go around town capping all of the raccoons you want as long the cops know you and are friendly and you have a trapper's licence.

that part in suttree when he eats mike the indian's turtle stew made me really wwant to try the turtle stew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Gatekeeper posted:

now we gotta domesticate some slylock foxes to solve all these cooncrimes

I appreciate the gently caress out of this reference

• Locked thread