Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

football fuckerman posted:

No way. We still don't know if the Wal-Mart incident happened, so there's no way to say Schefter knew it was false. Which is one of the conditions of a successful libel case.

I thought there was a police report, but it was short on the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ribsauce posted:

Pretty sweet how a big name hack "journalist"* can start a rumor with no factual basis and cost a man probably 30 million bucks. 2015 rules

*retweeter/blogger

Pretty sure Dez will get a big contract next year and if the Cowboys were trying to use a non-existent tape as leverage, then he'll just go somewhere else.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

No way. We still don't know if the Wal-Mart incident happened, so there's no way to say Schefter knew it was false. Which is one of the conditions of a successful libel case.

I've heard of journalists getting tagged for failing to have any evidence of a claim though. Even tabloids need something to work off of to avoid a suit. If there is no witness, source, or evidence to even prove the event happened doesn't that fall into the small pocket of public figure libel?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
To prove libel, you have to prove that the statement is false, the reporter knew it was false, and the reporter knew it would cause harm to the subject of the story.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/defamation-libel-slander-key-elements-claim.html

quote:

If the person defamed was a public figure, the person making the defamatory statement can only be held liable for defamation if he/she knew that the statement was false or if he/she acted with reckless disregard as to the truth or falsity of the statement.
Reporting that something damaging to Bryant's character might exist is not libel, especially since it sounds like Schefter had sources telling him that it did exist.

Also let's keep in mind that we're talking about the NFL not being able to locate the tape. That's not very good proof that it doesn't exist

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Now here's some libel: http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/apr/26/big-lie-las-vegan-watches-his-reid-tale-takes/

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I've seen the video, btw

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

GNU Order posted:

I've seen the video, btw

On a scale of one to ten, please rate the number of Hitlers this video should attribute to Dez.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

To prove libel, you have to prove that the statement is false, the reporter knew it was false, and the reporter knew it would cause harm to the subject of the story.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/defamation-libel-slander-key-elements-claim.html

Reporting that something damaging to Bryant's character might exist is not libel, especially since it sounds like Schefter had sources telling him that it did exist.

Also let's keep in mind that we're talking about the NFL not being able to locate the tape. That's not very good proof that it doesn't exist

TMZ doesn't have it which is pretty much proof it doesn't exist.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

swickles posted:

TMZ doesn't have it which is pretty much proof it doesn't exist.

so ethics don't exist?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Monkeycheese posted:

so ethics don't exist?

What does this even mean?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Chichevache posted:

What does this even mean?

he said them not having the video was proof it didn't exist, I was suggesting TMZ has no ethics which per his logic would be proof they don't exist. Just saying TMZ is obnoxious and horrible

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Thanks for the input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

swickles posted:

Thanks for the input.