Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Problem description: Previously, I'd been using just 2 sticks of GSKILL Ripjaw 4GBRL (2x4gb). Went on newegg and planned to purchase another identical kit. Along with a few other vendors, it was out of stock. I settled on buying a 2x4gb kit of Ripjaw 4GBXL, same timings as far as I can tell.

Installed the new ram with the old in [new/old/new/old] configuration. Power-on will give me four beeps and wind down; repeat.
Through finger-crunching trial and error I can safely say no individual sticks of ram, nor any individual ram slot, will fail a POST; it is exclusively an issue of having four sticks installed. Any combination of three sticks, in any combination of three slots, will successfully POST and read as 12gb in Windows.

Attempted fixes: Troubleshooting process so far:

Test all the slots/sticks individually. No glaring issues.
Change timings in BIOS from Auto to 9-9-9-24 (on the RAM's sticker). Failed POST with four sticks.
Update UEFI BIOS to 2.0 (newest). Default Settings. Failed POST.
Changed timings in BIOS from Auto to 9-9-9-24. Failed POST.
Bumped up the voltage on VRAM from 1.5v to 1.55v. Failed POST.

Recent changes: New PSU. Added 2x4gb of similar but not identical RAM. Added second 7870 in crossfire.

--

System specs: Windows 8 64 bit
Core i5 3570k stock clock
ASROCK z75 Pro3 MoBo
2x 7870s in Crossfire
Rosewill Capstone 750w PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

e1; I have noticed that there is a difference between the two, being the command rate. 2N for the 4GBXL and 2T for the 4GBRL.
I've tried forcing the command rate to 2T from Auto, but going through UEFI, I can manually set the timings as I please, though if I try to change the CR away from 'Auto', exiting the input field simply reverts whatever I type back to 'Auto'.

e2; Apparently the manual specifically mentions that all four sticks should be identical in order to use four sticks of RAM. gently caress. Guess I'm stuck with three until I can get four of the same.

Amber Alert fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What RAM are you trying to use and what speed are you trying to run it at? 2N and 2T are the same thing, it's the number of cycles the controller waits after a memory bank is activated before commands are sent. You might try bumping up the memory voltage further for testing (never exceed 1.65v) and trying less aggressive timings (10-10-10-30 for example), or backing the memory clock back one step. Running at 1333Mhz would cause performance loss but at least that will tell you if there is a way to make it work. If you can't get it to work just get 2x8GB of DDR3-1866 instead, definitely don't buy new 4GB sticks.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 28, 2015

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Alereon posted:

What RAM are you trying to use and what speed are you trying to run it at? 2N and 2T are the same thing, it's the number of cycles the controller waits after a memory bank is activated before commands are sent. You might try bumping up the memory voltage further for testing (never exceed 1.65v) and trying less aggressive timings (10-10-10-30 for example), or backing the memory clock back one step. Running at 1333Mhz would cause performance loss but at least that will tell you if there is a way to make it work. If you can't get it to work just get 2x8GB of DDR3-1866 instead, definitely don't buy new 4GB sticks.

It is GSKILL ripjaw and ripjawX ddr3 1600, and I haven't thought to change that. I'm gone for the weekend but will definitely try underclocking and overvolting slightly when I get back.

• Locked thread