Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

mind the walrus posted:

:hurr: I literally need to retard my brain to enjoy something boy am I clever.
you must be real sad about spock dying huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The_Cack posted:

you must be real sad about spock dying huh

Who?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

also like we know larping is nerdy and gay, do we need the main character to be pointing that out and miserable as gently caress all the time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

also like we know larping is nerdy and gay, do we need the main character to be pointing that out and miserable as gently caress all the time.

"I don't know if audiences are going to be able to relate to this nerd poo poo unless we have a 'normal' dude more like me to act like I would if I were LARPing-- with infantile bitching." -- A producer on that movie.

Also a surprising waste of that Indian guy from Community best known for playing a sperg which is a pity because he plays a slimeball douche way way better.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Hell Gem
hahaha yep there you are http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702731&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post441969569

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah, you sure showed me.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Millie posted:

IMDB page shows some guy who looks like a wad of clay with rat turds pushed into it for eyes.

Well aren't you charming. :allears:

mind the walrus posted:

It has the laid back "everyone having a good time even though poo poo is loving stupid" feel to it, but there isn't anything beyond that to endear you to the characters or circumstances despite having actors who could totally pull that off with even one more draft on the script.

actually, I kind of agree with you on this. I laughed at it, but it does feel not quite finished and they wasted some really great talent.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

mind the walrus posted:

"I don't know if audiences are going to be able to relate to this nerd poo poo unless we have a 'normal' dude more like me to act like I would if I were LARPing-- with infantile bitching." -- A producer on that movie.

This was another problem I had. I don't LARP but have seen it referenced here an there, I've seen the lightning bolt! youtube video and have friends and at least one relative who LARP and cosplays. I find the subject interesting. I like nerdy poo poo. I would have liked to have seen a movie that panders to that demographic while also being welcoming to voyeurs and those on the outside. So instead they got some pissbaby lead to painfully drag us through a movie that briefly touched on the LARP community and then hamfisted the rest of the story with an amateurish horror theme and goddamnit it makes me so mad because how does something like this get funded and get 2 awesome actors (peter dinkage and the wizard dude that's been in other movies)? Tell me. Because I could write a script tonight.

Bored posted:

Well aren't you charming. :allears:

you're that guy, aren't you?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Millie posted:

This was another problem I had. I don't LARP but have seen it referenced here an there, I've seen the lightning bolt! youtube video and have friends and at least one relative who LARP and cosplays. I find the subject interesting. I like nerdy poo poo. I would have liked to have seen a movie that panders to that demographic while also being welcoming to voyeurs and those on the outside. So instead they got some pissbaby lead to painfully drag us through a movie that briefly touched on the LARP community and then hamfisted the rest of the story with an amateurish horror theme and goddamnit it makes me so mad because how does something like this get funded and get 2 awesome actors (peter dinkage and the wizard dude that's been in other movies)? Tell me. Because I could write a script tonight.

Not just Dinklage and Steve Zahn (the Wizard dude who is honestly way better than the career he has), but the Indian guy from Community and Summer Glau in a softball role that lets everyone have their cake and eat it. That's why I still give a gently caress about this nothing movie so long after seeing it-- it had all the makings to be really good. Not like "comedy classic" but "good enough to be a basic cable rerun staple for most of a decade and a quote machine for teens," which is actually a lot harder to be than it sounds.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Hell Gem

Millie posted:

I find the subject interesting

Millie posted:

goddamnit it makes me so mad

Millie posted:

lol

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Millie posted:

I'm female

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Bored posted:

I'm female

lol

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Not just Dinklage and Steve Zahn (the Wizard dude who is honestly way better than the career he has), but the Indian guy from Community and Summer Glau in a softball role that lets everyone have their cake and eat it. That's why I still give a gently caress about this nothing movie so long after seeing it-- it had all the makings to be really good. Not like "comedy classic" but "good enough to be a basic cable rerun staple for most of a decade and a quote machine for teens," which is actually a lot harder to be than it sounds.

You forgot Brian Posehn, who shows up for less than 5 minutes at the start of the movie to rock out to a cringe-worthy original metal song, and Jimmi Simpson (one of the McPoyles from Always Sunny) as the organizer of the LARP event, who hangs around the background.

So you're right that the movie SHOULD be easy to forget, but because of certain elements involved, you can't help but dwell on it just a little and wonder how they made such a terrible movie.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

i got no idea why they had to have the retard brother thing with glau's character. can't hot chicks just be nerdy too?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

i got no idea why they had to have the retard brother thing with glau's character. can't hot chicks just be nerdy too?

I actually do get that one-- it gives Glau an excuse to lightly lampshade her own career as the hot girl who has a genuine respect for nerd culture but is clearly more obliged to be there as the hot chick than wanting to be there as a hot chick. It would have been better if they had just retooled the character since Glau can act well enough to pull it off, but whatever as I've said at copious length that whole movie needed another draft or three.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I actually do get that one-- it gives Glau an excuse to lightly lampshade her own career as the hot girl who has a genuine respect for nerd culture but is clearly more obliged to be there as the hot chick than wanting to be there as a hot chick. It would have been better if they had just retooled the character since Glau can act well enough to pull it off, but whatever as I've said at copious length that whole movie needed another draft or three.

dude i'm pretty sure it was more like "how do we put this hot chick in and not make her nerdy and lame"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Can we at least agree that Jennifer's Body was the best succubus film?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

dude i'm pretty sure it was more like "how do we put this hot chick in and not make her nerdy and lame"

Then don't say you got no idea

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Then don't say you got no idea

beep boop

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

But the autistic giant guy was the probably the only thing they got right in the whole movie. Like that's the only good thing about it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

please avoid talk of the movies or mods will consign this thread to cinema discusso again

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

hemale in pain posted:

I'm pretty sure it was "dude let's get Summer Glau starring as Summer Glau." The only role she ever gets is some kind of martial badass, with some gradient of autism.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

5er posted:

I'm pretty sure it was "dude let's get Summer Glau starring as Summer Glau." The only role she ever gets is some kind of martial badass, with some gradient of autism.

Not really, but it's definitely the only kind-of role she's known for.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jamesman posted:

But the autistic giant guy was the probably the only thing they got right in the whole movie. Like that's the only good thing about it.

i didn't mind him

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bored posted:

I'm female

fag

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

i wanna see sonic youth girl larp fight cartoon nerd girl irl someone make my dream come true :hist101:

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
listen, wtf people. i forgot i even made this thread but im pretty sure you are supposed to be either high or drunk while watching poo poo like this, like that's the whole idea

if you cant enjoy a cheap looking demon beast getting sliced up by a respawned hell revanant peter dinklage and also laser beamed by a necronomicon powered up by a loser in armor singing doom metal than i dont know what to tell you

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Zippy the Bummer posted:

if you cant enjoy a cheap looking demon beast getting sliced up by a respawned hell revanant peter dinklage and also laser beamed by a necronomicon powered up by a loser in armor singing doom metal than i dont know what to tell you

Well put

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Good movie, directors cut could improve things but it's okay as it is.

Joe Lynch's films have all been fairly entertaining he did Wrong Turn 2 which had Henry Rollins being batshit crazy.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

It was okay but Peter Dinklage wasn't onscreen nearly enough.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

a hole-y ghost posted:

It was okay but Peter Dinklage wasn't onscreen nearly enough.

that's true

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i think it would have been better if it was just about inexplicably attractive losers larping without the actual magic/demon stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Yeah but this is what those words actually look like.

http://youtu.be/D5a8LiEc3Ro

• Locked thread