Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandele
Oct 28, 2007
Who Am I?
So a little background about myself. I love to eat and growing up I realized I ate a LOT more then most people did. Probably because my family had the mindset of always finishing what's on the table and my parents always liked to make extra food.

Why Did I Decide To Attempt Food Challenges?
Eating a lot came naturally to me and I loved to eat so I decided a little while ago to try a few food challenges just for fun. I wanted to see how much I could really eat, and surprisingly I've been able to complete a few amount of them.

A few of the eating challenges I've completed to date are:

The Saltine Challenge:

Goal of the challenge: Eat 6 saltine crackers in under 1 minute. No water allowed.
Nutritional Facts: (approx)
78 Calories (13 per cracker)
12g Carbs (2 per cracker)
20g Fat (3.5 per cracker)
192mg Sodium (32 per cracker)
Personal Record: 53 seconds

The Chubby Bunny Challenge:

Goal of the challenge: Put as many marshmallows in your mouth as possible while saying chubby bunny after each one. (technically you don't have to eat them)
Nutritional Facts: (approx)
25 Calories per marshmallow
6g Carbs per marshmallow
Personal Record: 26 marshmallows.

RuHungry Fat Sandwich Challenge:

Goal of the challenge: Eat 5 Fat Sandwiches in 45 Minutes
Nutritional Facts: (approx, varies upon which kind of fat sandwich)
8000 Calories (1600 avg per sandwich)
375g Fat (75 avg per sandwich)
13750mg Sodium (2750mg avg per sandwich)
700g Carbs (140 avg per sandwich)

I actually have a recording of when I did this challenge because I did it for a competition. Link below if you're interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Dpwk6g6uE

There's more, but a lot of the other challenges I've done haven't really been official challenges or anything. Sometimes it'll just be small things I'll do with my friends and we'll see who can eat more food at the all-you-can-eat-buffet or if two of us can finish a meal for four or something like that.

The way I see it eating challenges tend to be broken up into 3 categories.
How fast you can eat a set amount of food. (or in under a certain amount of time) ex: (Saltine Challenge)
How much food you can eat in a set amount of time. (Nathan's Hotdog Eating Contest)
Eat a certain food which is usually weird. (Cinnamon Challenge)

A lot of food eating challenges out there are legitimately dangerous and probably should not be attempted for health related reasons. I don't have any first-hand personal experience with those challenges but I've done some research and can possibly tell you why you should not attempt certain challenges.

I'm not a professional competitive eater or anything, I'm just a person that likes to eat. I'm pretty average sized I'd say, as I generally tend to weigh somewhere between 170-175lbs at a height of 5'9.

Anyways, let the questions begin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

What's it like to eat a lot of food, in general?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Do you have to eat the saltines one at a time? it sounds like it would be super easy to just smash 6 saltines into my maw and gulp them down dry in way under a minute, but Im not buying saltines just to find out

Sandele
Oct 28, 2007

fart simpson posted:

What's it like to eat a lot of food, in general?

Eating a lot has always come natural to me for as long as I remember. It's definitely more pricey when I go out to eat and want to feel satisfied because I tend to order twice as much as the person next to me.

I don't pay attention to serving sizes on labels or anything and just tend to estimate how much I'll need.

Otherwise it's just pretty normal for me.

When it comes to trying to complete a eating challenge I tend to feel it pretty hard. When I was attempting the fat sandwich challenge, the first 2 sandwiches came extremely easily and I was able to eat each in about 5 minutes without any problems. As you get more and more full though it becomes harder and harder to eat and your stomach starts to feel painful as you attempt to swallow more food. It's not a good feeling but if you want to continue eating you have to force it. Drinking water helps with eating more but if you overdo it you'll fill your stomach up too much.

Sandele
Oct 28, 2007

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Do you have to eat the saltines one at a time? it sounds like it would be super easy to just smash 6 saltines into my maw and gulp them down dry in way under a minute, but Im not buying saltines just to find out

You don't have to eat the saltines one at a time. I started out the challenge by eating two at the same time. It sounds easy to do but the saltines take up almost all the moisture in your mouth and makes it near impossible to swallow a large amount properly.

I've seen people try to just put all six in their mouth and swallow it all at once, I don't think it's ever worked and they usually just spit the whole thing out.

The key is to drink a lot of water before the challenge and keep your mouth hydrated.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Have you done any super-spicy challenges? The only challenge I've ever done was to eat 12 wings cooked in Naga Jolokia sauce, with no time limit. It was fairly excruciating (though the endorphin rush was insane!) but I managed to complete it, as did my friend.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Any challenges you particularly want to try?
Any challenges you wouldn't try?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Do you only do mouth-eating or do you also perform rectoingestion?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sandele posted:

You don't have to eat the saltines one at a time. I started out the challenge by eating two at the same time. It sounds easy to do but the saltines take up almost all the moisture in your mouth and makes it near impossible to swallow a large amount properly.

I've seen people try to just put all six in their mouth and swallow it all at once, I don't think it's ever worked and they usually just spit the whole thing out.

The key is to drink a lot of water before the challenge and keep your mouth hydrated.

Yeah it sounds like if you were lubed up before that you could prob get it all donw pdq

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do you poop a lot? How big are your poops? What are your bowel movements like?

Thanks in advance :)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
How unhealthy is this for you and what's the long term prognosis of people who do this?

Other than a YouTube video with a thousand views, do you have any merits? Do you hold the trophy for the most wings eaten at a local wing joint or anything? Any competitions you've won?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
are you proud of eating a lot more than most people? how do you feel when confronted by steps?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sandele posted:

I'm not a professional competitive eater or anything, I'm just a person that likes to eat.

Have you thought about competing?

Sandele
Oct 28, 2007

PT6A posted:

Have you done any super-spicy challenges? The only challenge I've ever done was to eat 12 wings cooked in Naga Jolokia sauce, with no time limit. It was fairly excruciating (though the endorphin rush was insane!) but I managed to complete it, as did my friend.

I'm not that good with spicy food so I've only attempted very few super spicy challenges. I tried this one challenge at a local restaurant near my old town where you had to eat one piece of chicken drenched in this green "Death Hot Sauce" without drinking any water. It was definitely not one of my better ideas.

I've been building up my tolerance over the years. If you've ever had chicken and rice from the halal guys in NYC and used their hot sauce, that's about a little above my comfortable spicy tolerance level.

GWBBQ posted:

Any challenges you particularly want to try?
Any challenges you wouldn't try?

Some of the challenges in the area that I want to try and may attempt in the near future are:

5 lb cookie in 30 min.
28 inch meat lovers pizza in 1 hr (2 person challenge)

Challenges I wouldn't want to try:
Really spicy challenges
The Cinnamon Challenge that was really popular for a little while
Anything that can actually cause legitimate damage to your body, (besides the whole eat a lot of unhealthy food)

Blue Star posted:

Do you poop a lot? How big are your poops? What are your bowel movements like?

Thanks in advance :)

I've never really compared it to other people but I would assume they're relatively normal sized then again that might just be me, I used to clog the toilet a lot though.... so they might be bigger than average?

I usually poop around once every two days.

photomikey posted:

How unhealthy is this for you and what's the long term prognosis of people who do this?

Other than a YouTube video with a thousand views, do you have any merits? Do you hold the trophy for the most wings eaten at a local wing joint or anything? Any competitions you've won?

Doing an eating challenge every once in a while will not affect you as much you might think. For eating it's all about your eating habits and lifestyle. I eat a lot of food but I also workout and exercise a lot in order to keep myself in shape. On a regular basis I try to eat relatively clean. I rarely touch snacks and most of the time I just eat a lot of meat/tofu/dairy/vegetables. My snacks generally consist of fruit and protein bars.

I would say not to try large quantity eating challenges more than once a month. You want to be able to expand your stomach so that you aren't feeling extreme pain when you attempt to eat for a challenge. I carry around a gallon of water every day and I just try to finish it and it helps without having to constantly add a huge amount of calories to your diet. Drinking a lot of water also has health benefits. (don't chug too much though or you could potentially get sick and die)

As for merits, I have a sandwich named after me at one of my university's sandwich shop. I don't have a long list of accomplishments but I won a few small competitions here and there hosted by clubs and organizations. Usually just walked off with a small raffle prize or something like that.

jackyl posted:

are you proud of eating a lot more than most people? how do you feel when confronted by steps?

I used to hate the fact that I ate more than most people because I used to be extremely fat and it bothered me. I always tried to lose weight by dieting but I was constantly feeling hungry and it was hard for me to do so. However, eating a lot doesn't bother me all that much now that I've adopted better eating habits (when it comes to the kind of food I eat) and incorporated a good workout and exercise program into my lifestyle. I actually take a little bit of pride in how much I can eat compared to most people. It certainly gets me more bang for my buck at AYCE restaurants and people I eat with are usually impressed since I'm pretty averaged sized.

ultrafilter posted:

Have you thought about competing?

I've thought about competing but haven't really made any plans to. If local eating competitions are held I'll sometimes go to them and see how I fare, but I'm not at the level of being a competitive eater and doing something like the annual Nathan's Hotdog Competition that you see on TV.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
What the gently caress is wrong with you?

WhyAmINaked
Nov 24, 2013

Sandele posted:

I used to hate the fact that I ate more than most people because I used to be extremely fat and it bothered me. I always tried to lose weight by dieting but I was constantly feeling hungry and it was hard for me to do so. However, eating a lot doesn't bother me all that much now that I've adopted better eating habits (when it comes to the kind of food I eat) and incorporated a good workout and exercise program into my lifestyle. I actually take a little bit of pride in how much I can eat compared to most people. It certainly gets me more bang for my buck at AYCE restaurants and people I eat with are usually impressed since I'm pretty averaged sized.

So are the tiny/super-ripped people I see on TV -- say, Kobayashi -- a unique rarity? Somewhat uncommon? Surprisingly common?

Also, just for reference, what's a "normal" amount of food for you in measurements of pizza slices? I ask mostly because I would like to know if I'm just some dude who eats a lot for this size, or DO I HAVE POWERS?!

Thanks much!

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
Have you ever done a bang bang?

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
I've eaten in a pie eating contest and can field questions about that. Personally my motives have been to get the free pie and eat about 3/4 of it. I learned a lot about pie eating contests by doing this

Sandele
Oct 28, 2007

WhyAmINaked posted:

So are the tiny/super-ripped people I see on TV -- say, Kobayashi -- a unique rarity? Somewhat uncommon? Surprisingly common?

Also, just for reference, what's a "normal" amount of food for you in measurements of pizza slices? I ask mostly because I would like to know if I'm just some dude who eats a lot for this size, or DO I HAVE POWERS?!

Thanks much!

I would say someone like Kobayashi is a rarity. I don't usually find really small people to be big eaters. (he has a special training regime to prepare for his eating competitions) However, for the most part the big eaters I've seen/known are not obese or really fat people, they're all pretty normal sized or slightly bigger than average. Basically your body size and stomach size are not mutually exclusive, you can be pretty small and eat a lot but for the most part from what I know the people who eat a lot are slightly bigger. (simply because if you eat a lot you're putting in a lot of calories in your body, so usually you're not very skinny)

I try to diet and portion my meals accordingly for the most part. Two is usually good enough to call it a meal, but around 4 slices of pizza I would say is good for me to feel satisfied and comfortable without needing to eat anything else in that meal but without feeling bloated. (Large pizza that you'd find at like a pizzeria, not like dominos or papa johns pizza you order for delivery)

poo poo is weak posted:

Have you ever done a bang bang?

I have before, it's pretty fun. I don't usually but sometimes especially if I'm traveling or in a new area and want to try several new things I'll do this.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Do you do a lot of exercise to offset the massive amount of calories? Like in your Fat Sandwich video do you like not eat for the next few days or do you work out a lot?

Sandele
Oct 28, 2007

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Do you do a lot of exercise to offset the massive amount of calories? Like in your Fat Sandwich video do you like not eat for the next few days or do you work out a lot?

Yeah I work out on a regular basis. Usually go to the gym and lift weights for 3 days a week for around 2 hours a session. I also usually do dance practice which varies but would say maybe 8-10 hours a week?

For my fat sandwich challenge I didn't eat the day that I did the challenge besides a light snack when I woke up, but I resumed my normal eating habits the next day. It's almost like the eating challenge is my cheat day.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm gonna do a local food challenge soon, 62 pieces of sushi (about 4lb of food total). Any tips especially for that much rice?

Sandele
Oct 28, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

I'm gonna do a local food challenge soon, 62 pieces of sushi (about 4lb of food total). Any tips especially for that much rice?

Start eating progressively more before the challenge just in meals or so. They key to being able to eat more, is well to eat more. Try eating fewer meals but make each portion bigger (for example if you have breakfast lunch and dinner, try combining what you would've ate for lunch and dinner into one meal) this way you can eat more without excessively increasing your total calorie intake and getting really fat. I usually have two meals a day, one small meal and one big meal. (with some snacks mixed in sometimes)

Drink lots of water I would say, it's good for your body and if you drink a lot of water it can help expand your stomach. I carry around a gallon of water everyday and finish it (sometimes I have to refill it in the middle of the day and drink more). I'm not gonna say you need to do that but definitely try to drink more water (pace this throughout the day though, and don't try to chug too much at once).

24 hours before you do the challenge don't eat too much. Have some liquids or small easily digestible foods. (example like yogurt/protein shakes) Still eat though, you don't want to go on a completely empty stomach.

WhyAmINaked
Nov 24, 2013
Ooh! I'm around 5'11 and 175, and 4 slices is what I usually go for at my favorite pizza place. This obviously of course scienfitical fact now I'm a eating prodigy. I'M SO EXCITED!

So if I wanted to test the waters a bit and have fun, what's something you recommend?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Sandele posted:

Yeah I work out on a regular basis. Usually go to the gym and lift weights for 3 days a week for around 2 hours a session. I also usually do dance practice which varies but would say maybe 8-10 hours a week?

For my fat sandwich challenge I didn't eat the day that I did the challenge besides a light snack when I woke up, but I resumed my normal eating habits the next day. It's almost like the eating challenge is my cheat day.

You look like poo poo in the other video on that channel with you in it.

Have you considered you might have a massive case of Fuckaround-itis?

And that sandwich looks disgusting.

Sandele
Oct 28, 2007

WhyAmINaked posted:

Ooh! I'm around 5'11 and 175, and 4 slices is what I usually go for at my favorite pizza place. This obviously of course scienfitical fact now I'm a eating prodigy. I'M SO EXCITED!

So if I wanted to test the waters a bit and have fun, what's something you recommend?

I'm around your size actually, at around 5'9 and 170lbs. I would say the key to having fun with it is to just eat what you like.

Try going to an AYCE sushi or bbq place. I just order as much as I feel comfortable with and eat that for a satisfying meal. I usually can get a pretty good deal out of it too since I eat like 2-3x times the amount that most of my friends do.

If you want to try an eating challenge, try looking up eating challenges that are in the local area and go for it. They're usually not too difficult and you can usually get a free meal out of it if you finish.

Slore Tactician
Aug 27, 2005
MOURN!
What's your personal fat sandwich called? I work in New Brunswick.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Slore Tactician posted:

What's your personal fat sandwich called? I work in New Brunswick.

Yeah, i wanna know this too. Bunch of my friends went to RU, and RUhungry was a favorite stop. That place...has seen some poo poo.

My roomate kept trying to do the Fat Sandwich challange at the WVU RUhungry (or SandwichU or whatever they're called now) it was nuts watching him attempting to "train" - which usually consisted of us getting wasted, him ordering like 5 Fat Blunts and....watching him scarf down two before passing out in the third.

Was he right that this stuff should be easier wasted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I've always been curious about what happens after an eating contest. If you are eating to the point of extreme discomfort, do you sit through the pain and actually digest it all normally afterwards or do you throw it up? Have you ever had to go to the hospital or seek other treatment?

• Locked thread