Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I still don't see how anyone could possibly get black from it. The very darkest part is just dark brownish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Check my new tat, y'all!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Apogee15 posted:

I still don't see how anyone could possibly get black from it. The very darkest part is just dark brownish.

Because some peoples' brains don't just see the color value of a bunch of pixels. They can infer things based on the lighting in the picture - it is clearly light reflecting off of thin black fabric that appears gold because of the lovely camera. If you look at the bottom stripes they are much closer to black.

I still have not seen a convincing argument about how people are seeing white. There is no shadow. Everything is extremely lit, and the middle part of the dress appears to be reflecting light. I don't see where this "blue shadow" is coming from. I mean yeah hypothetically there could be a blue shadow, but I don't see it, because it isn't there.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
This is all dumb and all, but the dumbest thing is people using hex codes. Hex codes aren't an exact measure of light reflection, just the output colour of light bouncing of an object that absorbs a set amount and reflects the rest. The light bouncing of that object is going to be a certain colour itself, and if it bounces off in different ways it could change what sort of light you see at the end and all that poo poo. On top of all the craziness of how light works, your brain also has a bunch of short-cuts and weird ways of dealing with processing visuals. White isn't even a colour, it's just a combination of loads of different colours, which wasn't even an accepted theory until a couple hundred years ago, along with blind spots, which we missed because your brain just straight up makes up poo poo and convinces you it's real.

The centre peg that appears blue on the left, but yellow on the right, is actually the same colour.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Murphy Brownback posted:

Because some peoples' brains don't just see the color value of a bunch of pixels. They can infer things based on the lighting in the picture - it is clearly light reflecting off of thin black fabric that appears gold because of the lovely camera. If you look at the bottom stripes they are much closer to black.

I still have not seen a convincing argument about how people are seeing white. There is no shadow. Everything is extremely lit, and the middle part of the dress appears to be reflecting light. I don't see where this "blue shadow" is coming from. I mean yeah hypothetically there could be a blue shadow, but I don't see it, because it isn't there.

yeah but if it was there then it would be white, people's brains as just assuming that the dress isn't washed out like the background objects because its in shadow not the fact that the dress is dark.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Murphy Brownback posted:

For me the "white" was only white because the two choices were either white and gold or black and blue. The blue is so light that it doesn't really seem that far from white to me. Whereas the "black" didn't seem anywhere close to black. So I felt like white and gold was more accurate than black and blue. For me, light blue and gold would have had my vote if that were one of the options. I wonder how the results would have changes if that were an option originally.

quote:

Are you saying this happens automatically so that their brain is interpreting it as black, or are you saying they know it doesn't look black, but know it is black because of the lighting?

The former would make sense, but the latter seems dumb because we all know the dress is actually black and blue but that really isn't the point here.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Apogee15 posted:

Are you saying this happens automatically so that their brain is interpreting it as black, or are you saying they know it doesn't look black, but know it is black because of the lighting?

The former would make sense, but the latter seems dumb because we all know the dress is actually black and blue but that really isn't the point here.

All I am saying is that when I saw it, I interpreted the stripes as being black, even considering that when you look at the actual pixels they are gold. To me it just looked like thin black fabric reflecting light, causing it to appear less black. That's how I saw it before I saw the real dress and after.

As for the white, like I said, no matter what I try I can't get my brain to believe there is a shadow and interpret it as anything besides blue.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

quote:

Dr. Chuck Tingle is an erotic author and Tae Kwon Do grandmaster (almost black belt) from Billings, Montana. After receiving his PhD at DeVry University in holistic massage, Chuck found himself fascinated by all things sensual, leading to his creation of the "tingler", a story so blissfully erotic that it cannot be experienced without eliciting a sharp tingle down the spine.

Chuck's hobbies include backpacking, checkers and sport.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Megaspel posted:

This is all dumb and all, but the dumbest thing is people using hex codes. Hex codes aren't an exact measure of light reflection, just the output colour of light bouncing of an object that absorbs a set amount and reflects the rest. The light bouncing of that object is going to be a certain colour itself, and if it bounces off in different ways it could change what sort of light you see at the end and all that poo poo. On top of all the craziness of how light works, your brain also has a bunch of short-cuts and weird ways of dealing with processing visuals. White isn't even a colour, it's just a combination of loads of different colours, which wasn't even an accepted theory until a couple hundred years ago, along with blind spots, which we missed because your brain just straight up makes up poo poo and convinces you it's real.

The centre peg that appears blue on the left, but yellow on the right, is actually the same colour.

You're not arguing what you think you are. The whole point of using the hex codes is because people have actually been arguing that the actual pixels in the image are white and gold and that everyone that sees blue and black are seeing the colors that way because of an overall tint in the picture. What you posted is literally the counterargument to that statement - an image where you see one color two different ways because of a tint, and the easiest way to see the correct color is to isolate it from the rest of the image...or to check its hex value in Photoshop. This is almost as dumb as the image where the guy concluded it must be white and gold because of a comparison of color temperature corrections that were both for outdoor lighting.

:downsbravo:

kolokol-1
Jan 11, 2015
My brain is broken or something

Yesterday when I looked at this it was "obviously" black and blue. I thought people were just trolling or something

I just looked at it again about 30 minutes ago and it was "obviously" white and gold.

I just looked at it again a few seconds ago and its back to blue and black!

What the hell? Is it because I just woke up?

Also lol @ "50 shades of meh"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

can someone color correct my av? tia

fake edit: Nevermind, it's going to look like poo poo.

Like that dress.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

:laffo: at the nerds arguing about pixel colors.

If you don't understand the controversy was over the actual, in-reality, color of the dress, and why it's so difficult for most people to "switch" you need to get educated:

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Ruzihm posted:

If you don't understand the controversy was over the actual, in-reality, color of the dress, and why it's so difficult for most people to "switch" you need to get educated:

It was never about the actual color of the dress, it was about what color the dress appeared to be in the picture. If it was about the actual dress the argument would have ended as soon as a picture of the original dress came out(which happened almost immediately).

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

That came out more aggressive than I meant but yeah it's a neat optical illusion.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

You're not arguing what you think you are. The whole point of using the hex codes is because people have actually been arguing that the actual pixels in the image are white and gold and that everyone that sees blue and black are seeing the colors that way because of an overall tint in the picture. What you posted is literally the counterargument to that statement - an image where you see one color two different ways because of a tint, and the easiest way to see the correct color is to isolate it from the rest of the image...or to check its hex value in Photoshop. This is almost as dumb as the image where the guy concluded it must be white and gold because of a comparison of color temperature corrections that were both for outdoor lighting.

:downsbravo:

I don't even know what people are arguing about. Is it a dress or a shirt? Is up, down or is left, right? Does Mario really say "so long, gay bowser!"?

Also there isn't a hex code for gold.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kolokol-1 posted:

My brain is broken or something

Yesterday when I looked at this it was "obviously" black and blue. I thought people were just trolling or something

I just looked at it again about 30 minutes ago and it was "obviously" white and gold.

I just looked at it again a few seconds ago and its back to blue and black!

What the hell? Is it because I just woke up?

Also lol @ "50 shades of meh"

Yes.

Rods and cones.

Or, pixies.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ruzihm posted:

The funny thing is that the actual white and gold fabric depicted here does a better job of looking like blue and black (when in shadow) than the dress does.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

The actual white and gold fabric depicted here does a better job of looking like blue and black (when in shadow) than the dress does.

And the opposite could be said

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ruzihm posted:

Is the dress moving away or is the cameraman stepping back

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I don't understand, what dress?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is the dress moving away or is the cameraman stepping back

He's on a treadmill.

Robiben
Jul 19, 2006

Life is...weird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg41XfnIBvk

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Ruzihm posted:

For the blue/black people: does the fabric in this gif just remain the same color to you? Does the gold color in the closeup still look black to you?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Captain Jesus posted:

For the blue/black people: does the fabric in this gif just remain the same color to you? Does the gold color in the closeup still look black to you?

If you've done even a tiny bit of photo editing you can see the excessive yellow cast automatically and interpret the actual colors (blue and black) :shrug:

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Captain Jesus posted:

Brown and light blue.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Can we all agree that it's an ugly dress?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Robokomodo posted:

Can we all agree that it's an ugly dress?

If there internet has taught me anything....

NO

OK Some Butt Stuff
Jun 9, 2002

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Stoatbringer posted:

He's on a treadmill.
but will he take off?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The best part of this so far was an idiot at work loudly declaring that this is stupid because it only looks different depending on what model of phone you're looking at it on.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

My favorite part was my coworker saying, "White and gold. It's obviously a blue fluorescent light causing it to look that way for you. I've seen it a thousand times. I even asked my photography buddy and he agreed with me. :smug:"

I told him, "Well, there's evidence for both sides, but someone found that dress on amazon, or at least one that looks strikingly similar, and if you google for it you can find it too."

He saw this page and said, even looking at the title of the product, that it was just under a more intense blue light :doh:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's because of the lighting and the lovely camera. It's really washed-out, so the black part is a dark golden brown and the blue is pale, but it's also backlit, so everything is really dim. In that contrast, some people see the blue and automatically infer that the darker color is black, and some people see the gold and infer that the lighter color is white. If you just crop out the front of the dress itself and look at that, it's dim, washed-out blue and golden brown, which the RGB values confirm.

I've heard people saying that it's because people's rods and cones literally sense the colors differently, which is bullshit. If nothing else, there's a hell of a lot more colors out there that people shouldn't agree on if that's the case.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 13:13 on Mar 3, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

wait this is why my sister shoved this picture in my face and asked what color it is

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dr Pepper posted:

wait this is why my sister shoved this picture in my face and asked what color it is

Yes. Western civilization is losing it's loving mind over this dress.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Halloween costume idea for the ladies (or dudes who'd be comfortable wearing a dress): get two dresses in this style, one white and gold, and one blue and black. Change back and forth several times over the course of the Halloween party and pretend to have no idea what people are talking about when they ask about it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Angela Christine posted:

Yes. Western civilization is losing it's loving mind over this dress.

:negative: I weep for our future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ruzihm posted:

My favorite part was my coworker saying, "White and gold. It's obviously a blue fluorescent light causing it to look that way for you. I've seen it a thousand times. I even asked my photography buddy and he agreed with me. :smug:"

I told him, "Well, there's evidence for both sides, but someone found that dress on amazon, or at least one that looks strikingly similar, and if you google for it you can find it too."

He saw this page and said, even looking at the title of the product, that it was just under a more intense blue light :doh:

My photographin' girlfriend said white and gold when she first saw it, too, though she did not go so far as to insist on it after seeing other pictures. Maybe they know something we don't. :tinfoil:

• Locked thread