Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
Never touch a Bridgeport until you've had at least four beers, it's in the service manual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I worked for years in a theatrical carp shop and we had a list of rules about booze/weed and power tools.

Totally sober: Lathe

1 Beer w/ food and/or like a hit from a bat: Table Saw and Band Saw

1 beer + 1shot w/ food and/or a shared bowl: Chop and Radial Arm saw

1 beer + 2 shots w/o food and/or half a joint: All powered hand tools

Still drunk from the night before and/or tripping: Welding. You are never too lit to weld.

It worked pretty well and in 4-5 years we only had two serious accidents and both of them were sober people using the table saw. Both times I was taking a dump and came back to an empty shop and blood on the saw.

Most of our scenery was welded mild steel box tube and we used to do this thing where if we were behind and someone had to come in on the weekend that the other people would cut and jig whatever welding project needed doing. Then the weekend guy could come in, get stoned as gently caress, turn the lights out, blast our awsome stereo, and fuckin weld. Stoned welding is amazing, you feel like Hephaestus and poo poo. I very much recommend everyone try it once.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
lathes are scary

like 95% of the horrific accidents i hear about involve a lathe

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
also like 99% of the instances of the word "degloved"

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
More like "skinned alive and turned into minced meat".

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

lathes are scary

like 95% of the horrific accidents i hear about involve a lathe

I had a very minor incident where my hand got sucked into a running drill. I walked away with just some missing dime sized patches of skin but my coworkers sent me horrific degloving pictures for like 3 months.

This is it after like 3-4 days. I did end up waving my right to workers comp in exchange for "35 Long Island Ice Teas" , which I feel was a good deal.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

RocketSurgeon posted:

More like "skinned alive and turned into minced meat".

well, imagining your body is a glove

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
tell us more about how you handle tools op

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I used to have this permadrunk next door neighbour. He was nice enough, if never sober ever. One day I was out in my yard and talking about pruning my fruit trees, saying we'd probably have to get someone in because we don't have a ladder or a chainsaw, and he goes "Hang on a sec!", goes into the basement and gets his chainsaw. I'm like "Nah Lyle, we still don't have a ladder and you've had a couple of sodypops (he called booze sodypop) and he's like "Don't worry, I've done this a hundred times!"

First of all he saws a gap in the fence between our two yards, up near our porches. The fence gap is still there. Then he shimmies up the pear tree and cuts the central leader, taking out about 30% of the total tree. He cut it up into smaller bits and stuck the wood in his fish smoker. The tree is actually in better shape now, but didn't fruit that year.
He moved (was evicted) after the next summer, but not before he quit paying his power bill and lived without electricity for the whole summer. The neighbourhood is a bit less lively now.

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
you should have let him live with you in exchange for doing all your yard work

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
i drove a tractor on shrooms to a swiss farms to get iced tea, no prob. tripping balls. half a fifth of jamesons and i can't do the same thing. life's not fair.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I <3 you Harry.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 253 days!)

plenty

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
for maximum efficiency, I recommend using a jointer when drunk

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 253 days!)

ddue done mix ur intoxicunts

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
welding is fun drunk, working on cars, because it's cold. fixing and riding orvs drunk, do everything drunk, i am afraid

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
once u throw up twice its time to switch to regular tools

Oxwalt
Aug 10, 2013

by Ralp
A bit of a tangent here, but worth it. I attended a TFR meet and was shocked to see most of them doing shots which was then followed by a drunk goon disassembling his Glock 22 and :boom: ND. Others were having quickdraw contests and twirling handguns like Robocop. Also there was one guy who was shooting watermelons while making racial epithets.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Oxwalt posted:

A bit of a tangent here, but worth it. I attended a TFR meet and was shocked to see most of them doing shots which was then followed by a drunk goon disassembling his Glock 22 and :boom: ND. Others were having quickdraw contests and twirling handguns like Robocop. Also there was one guy who was shooting watermelons while making racial epithets.

this rules

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oxwalt posted:

thsi is what the rest of the forums want TFR to be doing, goonspeed

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

a messed up horse posted:

thsi is what the rest of the forums want TFR to be doing, goonspeed

you guys haven't lived until you've done jello shots of 151 and bumpfire a romanian ak with a 75 round drum at a mannequin in blackface

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Oxwalt posted:

going to next nearby tfr meet, ty for the heads up

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

thats pretty much how i would have imagined a tfr meet going

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I like working on the lathe :) you just sort of clear your mind and focus on the machine and the part. I finally have access to a lathe for personal use and I want to make pens and pencils for my nieces/nephews for Christmas. I think I'll have them write their names down and inscribe that onto the surface, but I've never done inscriptions on round material, so I'll just cheat and mill in a flat portion for the inscriptions.

Does anyone have a metal lathe they feel like selling for pretty cheap?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bunnielab posted:

I worked for years in a theatrical carp shop and we had a list of rules about booze/weed and power tools.

Still drunk from the night before and/or tripping: Welding. You are never too lit to weld.

It worked pretty well and in 4-5 years we only had two serious accidents and both of them were sober people using the table saw. Both times I was taking a dump and came back to an empty shop and blood on the saw.

Most of our scenery was welded mild steel box tube and we used to do this thing where if we were behind and someone had to come in on the weekend that the other people would cut and jig whatever welding project needed doing. Then the weekend guy could come in, get stoned as gently caress, turn the lights out, blast our awsome stereo, and fuckin weld. Stoned welding is amazing, you feel like Hephaestus and poo poo. I very much recommend everyone try it once.

I'm a better welder when hungover as gently caress

Number Six
Aug 18, 2005
You've never really lived if you haven't woken up in the emergency room after you've been subdued and they forcibly had to take your blood to find out if you were drunk, when your BAC reads .39 and all you know of the event is what you can read in the medical records. It's not an easy life, but millions are living it every day.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Number Six posted:

You've never really lived if you haven't woken up in the emergency room after you've been subdued and they forcibly had to take your blood to find out if you were drunk, when your BAC reads .39 and all you know of the event is what you can read in the medical records. It's not an easy life, but millions are living it every day.

how can i get in on this action

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

how can i get in on this action

tequila and a saws-all. that tool needs to prove it's not just a saws-some.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Dirty Sanchez posted:

Do lawn tools count? Riding my mower with a 32 ounce screwdriver in a styrofoam cup with lid and straw in the cupholder is about all I have to look forward to on the weekends nowadays.

Screwdrivers own. Riding mowers own. I approve of this message :respek:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Shithouse Dave posted:

tequila and a saws-all. that tool needs to prove it's not just a saws-some.

you can put a dildur on it, idk why else you would want a power tool

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

bunnielab posted:

I should be finding job opportunities in BFC but welp here we are

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

What's a theatrical carp shop?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
It's full of overly-dramatic fish.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
cameron diaz returns to the stage in lil shop of horrors

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

Arriviste posted:

It's full of overly-dramatic fish.

Is a sponge a fish, too?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Totally TWISTED posted:

I should be finding job opportunities in BFC but welp here we are

It was really amazing time and I wish I had appreciated it more back then. My 20's in general were pretty magical and I am amazed I still have all my fingers. We had indoor fire work shows, elaborate rules for staple gun fights, interns to abuse, and a very permissive and sweet hearted boss, who knew we were the best she could get for the money.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

bunnielab posted:

the best she could get for the money.

if you ask her about me, this is what your mother would tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,