Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Orders are final and all that jazz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Ah poo poo, I forgot to edit my orders. GI, can you make sure my men move to the foxholes behind the houses, and move FAST whenever they'e in the potential line of fire?

Edit: Wow that was three hours ago, probably no chance of that happening

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Incoming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yttgqACWXq4

Final map:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Looks like they are trying to mass in the centre but our HMG is going to stop half of their advance. If we can pull our forward guys out (one of whom is still stuck putting a bandage around his head), we should be ok.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Agreed. We'll do a general dis-engagement of our remaining teams on Alberta and Ontario Streets, under cover of the vickers. The fire from that house fell off around the middle of the turn, and you can see a couple guys seeming to flee from it, so it's definitely doing good work.

I'm also wondering if we might be able to get away with deploying the sniper to help the center. The Germans in the north seem to be content with wasting their ammo suppressing empty buildings.

GI, did Flippycunt's bren team leave their building? From the icon it looks like they might have.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Fray posted:

GI, did Flippycunt's bren team leave their building? From the icon it looks like they might have.

Yuuup, sorry I missed that in the video:

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Fray posted:

Agreed. We'll do a general dis-engagement of our remaining teams on Alberta and Ontario Streets, under cover of the vickers. The fire from that house fell off around the middle of the turn, and you can see a couple guys seeming to flee from it, so it's definitely doing good work.

I'm also wondering if we might be able to get away with deploying the sniper to help the center. The Germans in the north seem to be content with wasting their ammo suppressing empty buildings.

Not sure if those guys fled or were ordered to move. They ran to the building to the immediate southwest.

I think it's best that we keep some eyes on our right flank, and as much as he's proven to be able to murder Germans, the sniper is well suited for this.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

1st Section

No orders. Just rest and get ready for incoming.

2nd Section

We're going to disengage in the center and get ready to ambush again.

Sneak the bren team back into the building to recover it. Stay hidden and set up an arc to ambush the Germans if they come out into the street.

Pull back your A team northeast and find an ambush spot. Pull back the SMG team and resupply.

3rd Section

No orders. I'm sure your guy will turn the Bren's user manual right side up any moment now...

HMG and Sniper

Continue suppressing with the MG. Get the sniper somewhere that he can get into the action. You can finish off the northern force or help the center, just kill some Krauts.

HQ

No orders.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Definitely gonna let my troops sit tight for this turn, they're not exactly in condition to conduct any type of offensive action. I will say that even after I recover the Bren I'll probably leave that guy there, if only to keep tabs on the Germans on the south side of town if we end up moving the sniper.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final in ~20 hours

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

1st Section

Finish previous orders. If we have direct LOS on enemy units, target them.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Provisional orders for Flippycunt and abelian.

2nd Section

Move team A quick out the back of the building, then fast into the building indicated.

Team B move qucik out the back to the foxholes where Ace is positioned. Try to ammo share.

Team C move back into the building and hide.

Sniper

Move quick per yellow, then move standard into the bu8ilding.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Man, you are on the ball.

Orders are final

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

So, I feel like we've gradually been getting less reliable about getting our orders in. I'm having to post provisional orders most turns, and a lot of the orders we do post are at the last minute. Are you guys losing interest in the match? Is there anything you all would like me to do differently?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fray posted:

So, I feel like we've gradually been getting less reliable about getting our orders in. I'm having to post provisional orders most turns, and a lot of the orders we do post are at the last minute. Are you guys losing interest in the match? Is there anything you all would like me to do differently?

Speaking for myself, I keep up with the thread religiously, I just tend to procrastinate when it comes to posting new orders.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Def still interested: It's just hard for me to get my orders in on time because of the 24 hr turn cycle and me having 10+hr shifts at work during the week.

I think what I'll start doing is post immediately after watching the turn so I can at least give general directions, even if I dont have a map ready yet.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, definitely still interested. Sorry Fray.

I procrastinated on the orders last night (when I'm not 100% on board with an order, it makes it a bit easier to procrastinate).

I had intended to submit the orders during the day, but one thing after another came up at work, and I didn't manage to get it done in time.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Alright, glad to hear you all are still in it. I like Flippycunt's idea. If you guys suspect you won't have time for proper orders, a post with your general intent will make me feel better about commandeering your stuff.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Generation Internet posted:

Man, you are on the ball.

Orders are final

So what's the status of the turn? You get delayed in running it, or is it somehow still rendering?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Abridged turn due to technical difficulties and sudden onset RL syndrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP32LI7RP8M

Final map:

Orders will be due 48 hours from now.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Uhhh, mortars? Were those our dinky little hand mortars, just missing badly? Or were those from some unknown source? How big are the explosions? Can we get some closeups of that action?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Yeah, please give us a close-up when you have the chance GI. From the bird's-eye view they looked pretty big, like an 81mm. Our squad mortars don't actually have any HE rounds, just smoke.

Ed: Also, can you zoom in on Ace's guy to confirm if he has the bren? The solder status indicates he's done with the buddy aid.

Fray fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 16, 2015

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Was gonna post order but yeah, want to find out WTF is falling on us first.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Note the timestamps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9BAXCgAU0

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Fray posted:

Ed: Also, can you zoom in on Ace's guy to confirm if he has the bren? The solder status indicates he's done with the buddy aid.

The Bren is gone, but it looks like he just picked up more Sten ammo. He's currently holding the mortar, with the Sten on his back. No Bren or .303.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Maybe German paratroopers carry light mortars like we do?

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The German arsenal doesn't have any mortars smaller than 81mm, and I highly doubt their line infantry could be lugging those monsters around without us noticing way earlier. Let's chalk that up as a deployable mortar crew.

Drawing a line between the those two rounds (yellow), we get the map bellow:
So the mortar is to our SW somewhere on that line. It's kind of silly that they're only using it now that we're deep into town. Mortars aren't exactly a great close quarters weapon.

Now for strategy. We've cleanly pulled back to our next line of resistance, and here I expect the game to be decided. We have a lot of firepower concentrated in our center, especially now that our most powerful unit, the Vickers, is in the fight. I think we can stop them. One thing I'll note is that there was a new German unit attacking 2/A out of Moose Jaw in the turn before this. All of their rifle teams had been accounted for, so I think it must have been either their HQ or HMG crew. If the Germans are resorting to either of those units as assault infantry, that says a lot about their remaining manpower.

So I expect an attack like this:

The FJs push across Alberta to the inner buildings while the regulars cause trouble on the left. The regulars don't worry me much; as we've seen their morale is super brittle. Short range SMG and vickers fire can hopefully deal with the paras. Flippycunt has two teams that can see straight down Alberta St, so he can set up narrow target arcs and hope for easy kills as they cross.

One opportunity I'd like to watch for is the yellow arrow. If they go all in on the frontal attack and neglect their left, we might be able to sneak that team behind.

Thoughts?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Seems like they might be off-map.

It is a little weird that they're waiting until now. Maybe they came as reinforcements? Or maybe they wanted to identify our defenses before laying down the fire. Regardless, those are some danger close spotting rounds for them.

I'm not big on sneaking a team in behind like that. All it would take is one MG-42 to catch that team out in the open and they'd be in big trouble.

We have good firepower, but less than the Germans. With 28 minutes left, piles of automatic weapons and ammo, they have all the time in the world. It'll be next to impossible to go toe-to-toe with them in a head-on fight. And it won't be much easier to win a battle of attrition.

Our best shot at this is to keep ambushing them, and hitting them in the flanks as they cross open ground. We need to make it too costly for them to advance. For that to work, we can't afford to let them get established in covered fighting positions.

I marked up the map with our foxhole locations. The three or four in the south have great fields of fire on the avenues of approach for the attack that you have marked. We should think about getting a team or two in there -- maybe rotating our line to extend it southwards.

abelian fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 16, 2015

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

GI can you confirm A team is inside a building? Can't tell from the map.

2nd Section

A Team = Head to second floor of the building they are in, face blue line indicated on map.
B Team = Grab ammo from HQ team
C Team = Recover Bren gun, if possible

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Good points abelian. I think a lot depends on how much we can make them pay for getting across Alberta St. The vickers and Flippycunt should be able to at least bag the first team or two they send out. We've done a great job so far of extracting a price whenever they advance, and I believe the Germans are past the point where they can accept casualties lightly. If we have to pull back again after that, we'll pull back, but I'd rather not let the Germans reach the objective until they're near collapse.

1st Section

Continue holding.

2nd Section

Prepare to ambush enemies advancing across Alberta St. Use Ace's team right next to you for ammo sharing with your B team.

3rd Section

Too bad your guy didn't pick up the bren. Move him upstairs so he can recover all that 9mm ammo too, we may need it.

Sniper and HMG

Cease fire with the vickers so it can engage targets in the open. The sniper is about to finish its move order and should engage the surviving Germans.

Fray fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 16, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Yeah, with the way my squad's been hit it'd be nice to have the Bren's firepower to back them up. Ah, well.

Bren Team Guy: Move upstairs, grab ammo my dead corpse.

Everyone else, stay in position.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Orders are final in ~24 hours

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Fray posted:

If we have to pull back again after that, we'll pull back, but I'd rather not let the Germans reach the objective until they're near collapse.

Sure. Just keep in that to prevent them from reaching the objective, we don't necessarily have to be standing between it and them.

Vickers: cancel fire order. Maintain facing.
Sniper: after entering the building, face northwest.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

The German attack has collapsed in the face of the stalwart defense conducted by our brave Canadian boys!

The game is now over, and you have won. Feel free to browse the other threads, I'll be posting a post-mortum and a final video for both sides sometime this weekend.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Oh, um.

Go Canada.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
And the PIAT never fired a shot. :saddowns:

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
Well played everyone, I had a lot of fun.

Our ambush devastated their meat shield platoon in the first couple of turns, and then we all hung in there as we slogged it out with them mano a mano, until their morale was gone.

And, congrats Fray on a job well done. You kept this motley group running smoothly and firing on all cylinders, and we couldn't have done it without your leadership.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Huh, well that's anticlimactic...

Thanks for playing, everyone. Everyone was really on the ball and communicated well. I'm disappointed we won't get to play out the final attack, but I'll take the win. See you all in the common thread once I've skimmed the German one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I go get married and we won the war in my absence! Well done everyone!

• Locked thread