Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Kevin is a sweet-looking guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

A misanthrope posted:

have you guys seen this new thi g on the internet where you take something good and say its actually bad? its really neat and im gonna do it all the time now

Did you just say rings are cool?

Lady Gagazula
Aug 13, 2005

Can't read my
Can't read my
No he can't read my
Joker Face
Melman

Sweet Tea posted:

Kevin James in the Woods

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

so who is joss whedon and why am i supposed to hate him

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

lonesomedwarf posted:

because he is popular and popular things are bad duh

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

A misanthrope posted:

because he is popular and popular things are bad duh

i understand now, gently caress him

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lonesomedwarf posted:

he made a show about a girl who fights vampires and one about cowboys in space and they both had lots of jokes. you shouldn't hate him, hate is bad for you

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
some people here are being a husband bulge.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

both had lots of jokes

jokes???? IFUCKING HATE JOKE

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Black Bones posted:

Pretty much. I'm finally sitting down to watch firefly after all this time, and it's kinda boring. Def had potential and some fun ideas, so I can kinda see why fellow nerds have raved and recommended it to me, but its like its too afraid of being outright camp, and thus ends up lame.

Cabin is such a brilliant idea, but really lackluster execution.

meh, that's really the crux of the Whedon debate. He makes absolutely cracker situations, then doesn't follow through with them, nor can he write dialogue that's realistic and not just witty banter all in the same voice. Artists who do one thing really really well and other things very poorly are pretty much the free space on nerd debate bingo.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lonesomedwarf posted:

Because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pyuFfKPCvY

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

he made a show about a girl who fights vampires and one about cowboys in space and they both had lots of jokes. you shouldn't hate him, hate is bad for you

Jokes that really caught on with the nerd girl, gay nerd, and sensitive nerd boy sets back in the late 90s/early 00s and that forever marked Whedon's works as threats to the Goon Hegemony.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

Jokes that really caught on with the nerd girl, gay nerd, and sensitive nerd boy sets back in the late 90s/early 00s and that forever marked Whedon's works as threats to the Goon Hegemony.

It's pretty easy to hate joss whedon's fans TBF but the same goes for all nerds who think they're funny bc they consume funny media

something something African or European swallow

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wonder how many "that guy" pairs were out there doing "Who's on First" routines unprompted on playgrounds and in cafeterias back in the day

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It's pretty easy to hate joss whedon's fans TBF but the same goes for all nerds who think they're funny bc they consume funny media

something something African or European swallow

that sort of thing is so abysmal even noted terrible nerd randall munroe mocks it

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Kiss my grits, OP

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mind the walrus posted:

I wonder how many "that guy" pairs were out there doing "Who's on First" routines unprompted on playgrounds and in cafeterias back in the day

Tallent - "Sure is a splendid day for ballgame."
Doophus - "Oh, quite right, old chum. I do believe our favourite squadron is playing today."
Tallent - "Capital! Say, is that ol' Polack Pete on first?"
Doophus - "Who's on first?"
Tallent - "Polack Pete! I thought he was your favorite?!"
Doophus - "Who's on first?"
Tallent - "It's Po..... *pinches bridge of nose, sighs* Seriously? C'mon man, not that poo poo again."
Doophus - "What?! It's funny man!"
Tallent - "Just, stow that poo poo man. God."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Joss Whedon didn't even make Cabin in the Woods and that's why it's "his" least bad thing. Disliking Joss Whedon has nothing to do with the types that love him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Joss Whedon didn't even make Cabin in the Woods and that's why it's "his" least bad thing. Disliking Joss Whedon has nothing to do with the types that love him.

People always say this yet I've yet to see an actual reasoned list of why they dislike him that didn't come across as "ok, whatever floats your boat." I hold no delusions that Whedon is some sort-of virtuoso or visionary, he's frankly a terrible director, and when his writing sucks it suuuuucccckkkks, but even during my least favorite works of his (Dr. Horrible) I've never personally felt the revulsion I see some goons have. It's not even like he truly dominated anything outside of his tiny cult corner until he lucked into the Avengers gig, negating the big reason I venom against Michael Bay or even Wes Anderson. What exactly are the big reasons he's so awful again?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Because hes popular and nerds like him. Thats literally it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

But Groovelord Neato :psyduck:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I liked buffy the vampire slayer when I was younger. I mean, even then I knew it was cheesy as gently caress but it was fun cheese

I watched Firefly recently and it's kind of uninteresting. I watched Dollhouse too and it was just straight up bad. I enjoyed Avengers

I hope you enjoyed these opinions

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mind the walrus posted:

People always say this yet I've yet to see an actual reasoned list of why they dislike him that didn't come across as "ok, whatever floats your boat." I hold no delusions that Whedon is some sort-of virtuoso or visionary, he's frankly a terrible director, and when his writing sucks it suuuuucccckkkks, but even during my least favorite works of his (Dr. Horrible) I've never personally felt the revulsion I see some goons have. It's not even like he truly dominated anything outside of his tiny cult corner until he lucked into the Avengers gig, negating the big reason I venom against Michael Bay or even Wes Anderson. What exactly are the big reasons he's so awful again?

I don't understand the revulsion any more than the adulation, my dislike stems from him being a bad director and a poor writer. I think some people just react too far the other way when they see people loving media that is probably mediocre at best and sometimes awful.

Cosmos
Jan 8, 2006

All that is or was or ever will be
This movie sucks balls and I regret watching it thanks for listening

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mind the walrus posted:

It's not even like he truly dominated anything outside of his tiny cult corner until he lucked into the Avengers gig, negating the big reason I venom against Michael Bay or even Wes Anderson.

honestly it's probably like how i see wes anderson, since you bring him up. when i like his movies, great! when i don't like 'em, those just stand out more than the positive even though they happen less often. when i really think about it, aquatic life was pretty fun, but even though it was just one or two parts that made me uncomfortable or felt kinda gratuitously dumb (and the part where the guy suddenly dies at the end, to live and die in l.a. style) that i didn't like, those stand out the most in my mind and when i think about the movie, i remember how i disliked those parts more than i remember the parts i did like (most of the film). for some reason, the bad just stands out, and it usually doesn't work that way.

so when i think "do i like wes anderson?" the answer that comes out of my mouth off-hand is no, even though in actuality i probably liked his work more than i dislike it.

it's probably a similar thing with folks who are vocally opposed to joss whedon's work. me, i'm familiar with him in passing but not enough to know "i don't like joss whedon," just "hey i've seen that" or "brah idk never watched it"

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 5, 2015

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
You see we, the audience, are the Old Ones, demanding horror movies follow cliched "tropes". And when a movie fails to do so, than the film is killed by the Invisible Hand that is the movie purchasing public. At the box office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Goons be gooning

• Locked thread