Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Philip Rivers posted:

Club soda and tonic water aren't the same thing, FYI. Club soda is just plain ol' carbonated water (plus maybe sodium bicarbonate?) where as tonic water has quinine added and is distinctly bitter.

I know, but plain ol' carbonated water also tastes bitter to me due to the carbonic acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Philip Rivers posted:

Club soda and tonic water aren't the same thing, FYI. Club soda is just plain ol' carbonated water (plus maybe sodium bicarbonate?) where as tonic water has quinine added and is distinctly bitter.

Club soda was the original alkaline water. :sun:

Well, not really, but it's great when your stomach is upset.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I used to have a coworker that drank literally nothing except Bud Light. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, at work, at home, on the job. Just Bud Light, all the time. Maybe try that, OP?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

fart simpson posted:

I used to have a coworker that drank literally nothing except Bud Light. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, at work, at home, on the job. Just Bud Light, all the time. Maybe try that, OP?

Water has already been suggested.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Also, tonic water has stupid amounts of sugar in it.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I was diagnosed with diabetes back in November and found that switching seltzer water and club soda were instrumental in cleaning up my dietary habits. If the artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose are hard for you, they make a bunch of flavored seltzers with no artificial sweeteners. Safeway's store brand has a generous selection of flavors. As for diet sodas, some of them taste a lot closer to their non-diet versions than others. Diet root beer in particular is very close*; I hardly notice a difference.

Good on you for getting off the sodawagon; it's ridiculous how many extra calories those add. You'll probably lose a ton of weight, too; I've dropped 50 pounds in the last 3.5 months, and a good deal of that is probably just not drinking garbage.

quote:

Also, tonic water has stupid amounts of sugar in it

Diet tonic water doesn't and it mixes with gin just as well!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The cool part is trying a regular soda after getting used to diet for a while. It's like drinking syrup.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Republicans posted:

The cool part is trying a regular soda after getting used to diet for a while. It's like drinking syrup.

Yeah, soda habits really mess with your taste buds. After some time off you don't miss it and regular non-sugar-filled food tastes sweeter and better.

I second getting a soda stream and drinking 1 part juice and 3-4 parts carbonated water when you need something with flavor. I can't stand flavored water and I think this is a good, less-sweet alternative. It's also extremely fun to make your own simple syrups. You can also purée fruits, freeze them in ice cube trays, and mix them in with carbonated water.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

fart simpson posted:

What was the job?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Akbar posted:

What was the job?

Crab picking.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

pile of brown posted:

Water with cucumber and lemon floating in it is pretty awesome

I started drinking this last summer when I had a million cucumbers leftover from the garden and this stuff is the poo poo. It tastes over the top healthy and not in a bad way. There's nothing like coming in after mowing the lawn on a hot rear end day and slamming a glass of this stuff.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Water has already been suggested.
Water is clean, Bud Light is bio-processed water.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The brodo craze has made me wonder if anyone ever tried to market broth as a performance beverage.

Brodo - The Meat You Drink!

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

there are like 100 completely different kinds of tea, caffeinated or not, if you try every single one and don't like any of them then you might as well just kill yourself

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Republicans posted:

The brodo craze has made me wonder if anyone ever tried to market broth as a performance beverage.

Brodo - The Meat You Drink!

Bovril is the Meat You Drink.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Diet tonic water doesn't and it mixes with gin just as well!

I just use seltzer water. It hits the same basic notes and is great. As long as you don't have a "totally poo poo quality <$10/bottle gin" you'll be fine.

But I might give diet tonic a chance.

I just like to point out the sugar content of tonic water because not many people know about it. I didn't know about it for years until I saw a bottle of diet tonic and thought "WTF?" and check the side of the regular tonic water bottle.

Also, if you don't mind the red color, you can make your own tonic. Just don't drink too much of it, since it can have some rather crazy side effects.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shbobdb posted:

I just like to point out the sugar content of tonic water because not many people know about it. I didn't know about it for years until I saw a bottle of diet tonic and thought "WTF?" and check the side of the regular tonic water bottle.

How could you not know, just based on the taste? :psyduck:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Because I only drank it with mostly gin?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Shbobdb posted:

I just use seltzer water. It hits the same basic notes and is great. As long as you don't have a "totally poo poo quality <$10/bottle gin" you'll be fine.

But I might give diet tonic a chance.

Also, if you don't mind the red color, you can make your own tonic. Just don't drink too much of it, since it can have some rather crazy side effects.

Tell me more.
I got sick of beer, moved to cider, got sick of that, so a G&T is my poison over summer. Cooler months I drink straight rum/whiskey/whisky. Gin is my prefered spirit if it's hot weather. I haven't even seen diet tonic water in Australia though, each cup of regular stuff has 21g sugar. How do you DIY, and/or what tastes as good with gin as tonic water does, as I've never liked club soda/soda water. Gin with soda water is a "gin rickey" right?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 9, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm not sure what you call a "gin and soda", when I order it at the bar during happy hour, I just ask for a "gin and soda". When I make it at home, I don't have a name for it, I just drink it (and if I'm entertaining, I usually make G&Ts because, well, that is what most people expect).

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

That is a good recipe for very flavorful tonic water. If you just want the "bitter bite" without extra flavor, you can just use the cinchona bark. It will be a crazy red color. That is normal. Not sure how they remove that industrially but don't worry, that is how it is supposed to look. Not sure where to buy cinchona bark in Oz but I imagine you can find it at a local homebrew store, hippie/new age apothecary or on-line. Just replace the agave syrup* with your artificial sweetener of choice or do what I do and just don't add any. It will be very bitter, but I kinda like that. Plus you don't want to use too much becasue of cinchonism. I've never had a problem with it but because it is so bitter, I normally use very little.

Don't worry about it, but some people are more sensitive than others and so I figure putting the warning out there is better than not.

For gins, I use New Amsterdam when I'm on a budget (very vodka-like) or Bombay/Tanquary/etc. gins. Like I said, just not the super-cheap ones. Or Seagrams, which I find tastes gross. Not sure how the gin price structure works in Australia, since you guys normally have to pay a lot more for booze.

For the gin and soda, add some cucumber and lemon/lime. Super refreshing and healthy tasting (in a good way).

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

I'm not sure what you call a "gin and soda", when I order it at the bar during happy hour, I just ask for a "gin and soda". When I make it at home, I don't have a name for it, I just drink it (and if I'm entertaining, I usually make G&Ts because, well, that is what most people expect).

http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2008/how-to-make-your-own-tonic-water/

That is a good recipe for very flavorful tonic water. If you just want the "bitter bite" without extra flavor, you can just use the cinchona bark. It will be a crazy red color. That is normal. Not sure how they remove that industrially but don't worry, that is how it is supposed to look. Not sure where to buy cinchona bark in Oz but I imagine you can find it at a local homebrew store, hippie/new age apothecary or on-line. Just replace the agave syrup* with your artificial sweetener of choice or do what I do and just don't add any. It will be very bitter, but I kinda like that. Plus you don't want to use too much becasue of cinchonism. I've never had a problem with it but because it is so bitter, I normally use very little.

Don't worry about it, but some people are more sensitive than others and so I figure putting the warning out there is better than not.

For gins, I use New Amsterdam when I'm on a budget (very vodka-like) or Bombay/Tanquary/etc. gins. Like I said, just not the super-cheap ones. Or Seagrams, which I find tastes gross. Not sure how the gin price structure works in Australia, since you guys normally have to pay a lot more for booze.

For the gin and soda, add some cucumber and lemon/lime. Super refreshing and healthy tasting (in a good way).

Gin and soda is my mixed drink of choice now. I used to be all about gin and tonic, but over time I found that in many cases the sweetness of the tonic could be cloying and overpower the notes of the gin. With soda, I get the delicious carbonation I'm looking for and the flavor of the spirit is able to speak for itself.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Sure.

But sometimes it is, ahhh, better if the spirit isn't heard. Some of them are rough around the edges and not really great at the whole "speaking for themselves" thing.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
I know you said you don't like "carbonated fruit water," but if you've tried coconut la croix and didn't love it, I won't believe you :colbert:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Seltzer is good and cool and be put in mixed drinks when you want to get drunk later in the day. :)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fo3 posted:

Tell me more.
I got sick of beer, moved to cider, got sick of that, so a G&T is my poison over summer. Cooler months I drink straight rum/whiskey/whisky. Gin is my prefered spirit if it's hot weather. I haven't even seen diet tonic water in Australia though, each cup of regular stuff has 21g sugar. How do you DIY, and/or what tastes as good with gin as tonic water does, as I've never liked club soda/soda water. Gin with soda water is a "gin rickey" right?

You can't go wrong with a Gin con Gin, or a gin with ginger beer. Try some diet Bundaberg ginger beer, that's my go to at the moment, but any real old fashioned cloudy ginger beer goes well. Try Tanqueray gin too if you haven't yet.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fo3 posted:

I haven't even seen diet tonic water in Australia though

Where do you live? Pretty much every supermarket here in Melbourne has it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So this seems like a good thread to post this question in, I got a sodastream, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to do flavorings without having to make a syrup, I don't want sweet, but I do want flavors like lavender. Could I make an herbal tea and carbonate that?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

So this seems like a good thread to post this question in, I got a sodastream, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to do flavorings without having to make a syrup, I don't want sweet, but I do want flavors like lavender. Could I make an herbal tea and carbonate that?

You can totally do that. My local David's Tea has it as an option for individual cups. :iia:

And citrus peel is a good option.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Crab picking.

OP, have you tried crab juice?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Philip Rivers posted:

OP, have you tried crab juice?

Make sure that you carbonate it in a Sodastream first.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tiggum posted:

Where do you live? Pretty much every supermarket here in Melbourne has it.
I buy the mixer at the bottle shop dude. It's not like I plan ahead to be an alco and stock up while I buy groceries. I don't even cruise the junk food aisle or even visit a colesworths much. Sometimes around 9pm I just want a drink, and I haven't seen the bottleshops offer a diet tonic water. But I have noticed they have soda water, which is why I was asking.

Shbobdb posted:

For gins, I use New Amsterdam when I'm on a budget (very vodka-like) or Bombay/Tanquary/etc. gins. Like I said, just not the super-cheap ones.
Yeah, here we can get bombay sapphire for around $47, Tanqueray for $43, beefeaters $40, gordons $37, and greenall's $35. These are all sale prices at the cheapest suppliers. Add $5-10 for walk in/pub unplanned purchases. There's not many other brands except vickers for $33 and home brand made in europe range for $31. No seagrams that I've found, maybe some odd $33 brands like "mayfair" by arthur worthington made in spain.
Been drinking greenall's recently, though I love BS and Tanq, $8-12 savings means a lot to me these days.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 10, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Are you guys really suggesting a guy that drinks 1.5 liters of root beer a day switch to gin? The booze suggestions started as a joke but it seems to have taken a serious turn.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
It worked for Shane MacGowan.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

fart simpson posted:

Are you guys really suggesting a guy that drinks 1.5 liters of root beer a day switch to gin? The booze suggestions started as a joke but it seems to have taken a serious turn.

OP should drink water.
I don't give a gently caress about the OP, I happen to drink G&T and since the thread turned out that way, I'm looking for alternatives for my own reasons.
E:Seriously, as an adult you should be drinking water, juice or booze, stop being a child drinking sodas and I hope everyone here raises their children that way.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 10, 2015

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

fart simpson posted:

Aviation has sassafras as a flavouring agent. :pseudo:

I miss the Three Olives/UV root beer vodka...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fo3 posted:

OP should drink water.
I don't give a gently caress about the OP, I happen to drink G&T and since the thread turned out that way, I'm looking for alternatives for my own reasons.
E:Seriously, as an adult you should be drinking water, juice or booze, stop being a child drinking sodas and I hope everyone here raises their children that way.
Personally as an adult I just stick liquid up my rear end and call it a day. Drinking is childish.

Avoid anything carbonated for an enema and you don't want to make your drinks too strong before sticking them up your rear end. Some fresh vermouth, gin (a much lower ratio than a regular martini) and some coffee is imo a great substitute.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I guess you knew this, but this is something people do and also people die from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I'll ever be able to give up soda, but I've started drinking a lot more low-calorie/diet options and it hasn't been too bad. A&W Ten and Dr Pepper Ten are both pretty good, the 10 calories of flavor makes a big difference. Pepsi Next is also surprisingly good and only 60 calories. If you're worried about the acidity of soda, only drink them with meals so your saliva helps clean your teeth, and chew sugarless gum after eating.

• Locked thread