Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Two looks scary but is very much a fan of hugs :kimchi:

If you spend any amount of time in the boys' pasture you have to hug at least one of them. They all line up and wait for it.

OMG, I wish I could hug your sheep. I'm on the other side of the freaking country though. How can you possibly survive the sheer adorable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

McDragon posted:

I'm not sure Twofer could ever not look majestic.

Also that is a wonderful picture of Major looking goofy. :3:

There was that time he had tennis balls stuck to his horns...

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

AcetylCoA! posted:

There was that time he had tennis balls stuck to his horns...

You may have a point there.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Nah, he still looks majestic there.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

He looks like Mad Max, Lunar new year version.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Found this in PYF.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
"But it was soooo cute when he did it when he was a couple week old, and would just bump into Junior and fall over."

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Little Billy's first traumatic brain injury.

Rams are assholes.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

How's Christmas and warm weather treating the sheep?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It was a long and brutal two days of winter (we got 10 inches of snow on saturday!) but we're all pretty happy spring is here again. Well, the sheep are pretty crabby about all the mud and they actually prefer it cold but I think they're willing to accept that as long as there is still fresh grass to nibble. If this holds out I'll be happy I gambled on early lambs but it's still hard to believe that in 3 months I should be just about done lambing. I don't think any of the goats are pregnant but that's ok. I have sufficient goats.

The creatures that are really happy about the warm weather are the bunnies. Cameo had a litter right after thanksgiving and it was so nice not to worry about them freezing or having to bring their nestbox in and out. The bunny barn is well protected, but not heated which isn't an issue for any creature with fur but the newborns are pretty sensitive. The put on fur quickly though and Cameo made just about the coziest nest ever so they were fine in the cold snap. I was also able to shear all the adult buns instead of just giving them scissor trims so they're all much more comfortable now and should fluff out enough to be fine if it gets cold again.

Have some baby buns, there are 3 white ones and 2 black ones.

"hey kid, maybe you could go back to living in a box and I could go back to only having to deal with you twice a day how about that?"

Happy holidays to all my thread readers and have a fantastic new year!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Yay bunnies! Merry Christmas, IJ. Thank you for keeping the thread going.

DismemberedLemon
Jun 20, 2015
Those are some really cute dogs.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It's for real winter now, bluh. The sheep love it though.

First lambs are due in about a month, with the rest of them coming mid-March. Should I make a new thread or just keep updating this one?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

So cute!! What happy little sheep.

It's the Year of the Monkey now, but I don't mind if you keep updating this one. v:shobon:v Whatever's easiest for you, I say!

LevelC
Feb 20, 2011
I'm with my cat is Norris, whichever is most convenient to you is totally cool. Does this mean you'll have fiber up for sale soon too?

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
Guys. Guys. Guuuys.

Goooooats.

(Why is 'hobby farm' even a term? There is surely no such thing as a hobby farm that does not either become an eternal hellpit for all things dollar sign, or a.. normal farm that turns the occasional profit. I am drowning in goats, guys.

they climb on my head and jump off and it is amazing)

Down with the Wool creatures, up with the hairbeasts. But also your animals rock, Jellyfish.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Goats!!

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
So yeah. Really, I'm here to see if Jellyfish wants to offer a shout out to any responsible animal transport companies. Or hay companies. Or. Or anything, really. Helpusthegoatsarewinning

It's too far south for fiber animals here, but apparently it is perfect for accidentally breeding the tiniest miniatures that ever tinied. I started out with show lines of Nigerian Dwarf and Nubian, had a couple of accidental crosses when Nigerians started maturing early and climbing through fences, and... and now. And now I think I might be in Goat Hell. Goat Heaven?

It is Impossible to tell, is what I'm getting at. There is so much hybrid vigor here they are out vigoring me. I think I caught CL, and then the goats got over it. And then there was a Listeriosis scare that the head nubian shook off like WHATEVER and again, I didn't, as much. And. And now I don't have time to disbud the young ones and they are all growing horns. Aaa! AAAA! I have no idea how to feel about this. :kimchi:

(what i just coughed up though suggests i might actually be dying. WORTH IT. To Valhalla, my goatfriends. B. Blargh. Better pictures will come after the doctor and vet part, hopefully.)

Edit: OR NOT. Nubian babies now! One living male, one living female, one GIANT that was badly tangled and kicking when I found and started helping the mom but was impossible to resuscitate once it was out, one roughly 13 mile umbilical cord and.. by the shape of her she's got another in there. God help us all.

Callipygian Weasel fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 8, 2016

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
The goats are about to start kidding here, the first should be due next week if she took when I think she did. I should have some babby goat pics to share soon :3:

In the meantime, have some pics of the kunes I took the other day. The older of my two gilts will reach breeding age in about May so hopefully there will be piglets 4 months after that!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

those are some gorgeous pigs duder

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015

GreyPowerVan posted:

those are some gorgeous pigs duder

ty :3: they FINE pigs

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

AsYouWish posted:

ty :3: they FINE pigs

Thank you for sharing your critters with us! Looking forward to additional pictures :)

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
What are your pigs like in temperament? I hear a lot of stories about pigs being unholy terrors who deserve to be turned into bacon for the grief they cause... and if you have any stories like that please share. :getin:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Callipygian Weasel posted:

So yeah. Really, I'm here to see if Jellyfish wants to offer a shout out to any responsible animal transport companies. Or hay companies. Or. Or anything, really. Helpusthegoatsarewinning

It's too far south for fiber animals here, but apparently it is perfect for accidentally breeding the tiniest miniatures that ever tinied. I started out with show lines of Nigerian Dwarf and Nubian, had a couple of accidental crosses when Nigerians started maturing early and climbing through fences, and... and now. And now I think I might be in Goat Hell. Goat Heaven?

It is Impossible to tell, is what I'm getting at. There is so much hybrid vigor here they are out vigoring me. I think I caught CL, and then the goats got over it. And then there was a Listeriosis scare that the head nubian shook off like WHATEVER and again, I didn't, as much. And. And now I don't have time to disbud the young ones and they are all growing horns. Aaa! AAAA! I have no idea how to feel about this. :kimchi:

(what i just coughed up though suggests i might actually be dying. WORTH IT. To Valhalla, my goatfriends. B. Blargh. Better pictures will come after the doctor and vet part, hopefully.)

Edit: OR NOT. Nubian babies now! One living male, one living female, one GIANT that was badly tangled and kicking when I found and started helping the mom but was impossible to resuscitate once it was out, one roughly 13 mile umbilical cord and.. by the shape of her she's got another in there. God help us all.

did you have a goat induced stoke

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015

Anoia posted:

What are your pigs like in temperament? I hear a lot of stories about pigs being unholy terrors who deserve to be turned into bacon for the grief they cause... and if you have any stories like that please share. :getin:

Before I was into raising pigs, I used to hunt feral hogs with my pit bulls and definitely believed the whole "pigs are unholy terrors" thing. My only experience with them was trying to stab screaming wild ones while my dogs held onto their faces and kept them from killing me, so I was SUPER SURE pigs would never ever be animals I'd own. I had nightmares about them.

Actually though, they're really cool and can be really affectionate if you understand them and kind of work on their terms. Feral hogs are a loving terror and yeah there are stories of domestic pigs eating people who fall in their pens but honestly, they're just really smart and self serving rather than actively malicious. I got into kunes because they're small (200-400 lbs at maturity, easily 1/4-1/3 the size of full size hogs) and because they've been bred to be really docile, chill little dudes. I think the whole "pigs will loving wreck you" thing comes from the fact that (just from what I've observed) they just don't have any empathy for humans. They're smarter than dogs, but dogs can read and care about human emotions. A pig will be affectionate to you and nice as long as it wants to, and they enjoy scratches and pets and treats and attention and human company, but if you dropped off of the face of the earth they'd really just mourn the loss of belly rubs and treats and wouldn't be bothered if they never saw you specifically again, as long as the belly rubs and treats kept coming. As smart as they are, and while they can learn tricks faster, and easier than most dogs, everything for them is "what's in it for me, fucko" and they're not sorry about it. Once you accept all that and do poo poo on their terms they can be cool dudes and I do have a few I'm attached to.

As little empathy as they have for humans, they are fiercely protective parents and if a piglet screams every pig on my property, even if it isn't the mother or father, will loving swarm as a herd and start ROARING in the direction of the screaming baby and they will loving wreck anyone or anything they need to, so they do protect their own. They do tell people apart, and I have sows who are fine with me handling their babies and not other people, so that level of trust is sort of their version of affection. I have one sow who I hand raised and she brings me her babies when she has them, and that's really cool.

Basically yeah, pigs can be terrible but they can also be amazing. I've never witnessed any be terrible to each other, I've just seen ones who didn't trust humans kind of act accordingly. When I slaughter pigs I do it in a way that keeps the others from knowing and thinking I'm the bad guy and they trust and like me. If I had a heart attack in their pen they would prob still eat me tho. They're kind of like if dogs were aware enough to be like "DUDE UR A SLAVE, MAN. U GOTTA BE FREE." and that awareness is weird to look at and deal with.

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
The closest thing to gross stories that I have is that when I slaughter a goat or chicken, the pigs will all swarm to drink their blood and eat the guts like some kind of horror movie, and they will fight over the bits of blood soaked dirt. but I mean. My dogs and other chickens do that too, so nothing really special there. I will say that I can kill goats and chickens in front of their own kind and get 0 reaction, but the pigs I have to slaughter away from everyone else or they will loving remember and never forgive me.

Basically they're just too smart for their own good and have long rear end memories and that scares people. Sometimes rightfully so.

AsYouWish
Nov 28, 2015
Aurora and DEE!!! had their babies on the 15th. :3: Dee had twins bucklings, Aurora had a single buckling. Aurora's is particularly fancy, him nam ZIGGY :3:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

AsYouWish posted:

Aurora and DEE!!! had their babies on the 15th. :3: Dee had twins bucklings, Aurora had a single buckling. Aurora's is particularly fancy, him nam ZIGGY :3:

spottygoat best goat

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Congrats to the moms! Everyone healthy?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ziggy is just about the cutest thing ever :kimchi: Spotty animals, as always, are the best animals.

Eleanor is on day 144 today and I'm guessing she's going to pop around day 148 with either twins or trips. Then we have to wait until March 9th before the rest of them start their wave of babies.

I'm probably going to make a new thread for this year soon, anyone have title suggestions?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mmmm... Babies. (Baby Farm Animals ITT)

(it's a joke on the old mmm, beefy commercials)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My Kids Are Cuter Than Yours (Farm Animals ITT)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My Kids Are Cuter Than Yours (Farm Animals ITT)

Perfect.
New babbies, new thread.

• Locked thread