Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Game_Whino
Jul 16, 2007

Let's drink until we can't feel anymore!

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Fibromyalgia is a waste basket diagnosis. It's a psychosomatic manifestation of mental illness.

Also antidepressants are not one size fits all. You often have to try a bunch of them before finding one that works. It's also possible she's bipolar, which is why the epilepsy drugs are helping her. I am 100% certain she does not have a mystery illness affecting her nerves. Fibromyalgia isn't real. And I would say it's very relevant to this thread about charlatans and fantasy illnesses, because it's a case where it's much easier to believe in some fake illness than accept the fact that you're fat and depressed.

From the mayo Clinic's website.

quote:

What is the most common misconception about fibromyalgia?
The top misconception is that people think fibromyalgia isn't a real medical problem or that it is "all in your head." It's sometimes thought of as a "garbage-can diagnosis" — if doctors can't find anything else wrong with you, they say you have fibromyalgia.

There's a lot that's unknown about fibromyalgia, but researchers have learned more about it in just the past few years. In people who have fibromyalgia, the brain and spinal cord process pain signals differently. As a result, they react more strongly to touch and pressure, with a heightened sensitivity to pain. It is a real physiological and neurochemical problem.

Why does this misconception persist?
In our society, people tend to think that there is a cure or a fix for every medical problem. You go to the doctor, expecting he or she will fix whatever's wrong with you with medication or surgery. It's frustrating to people with fibromyalgia because the traditional treatment approach isn't effective. And it's also frustrating to health care providers because they want to help people. But there's no easy fix. It takes lifestyle changes and small steps toward achieving wellness. It's a process.

How have misconceptions about fibromyalgia changed over the years?
More people understand that fibromyalgia is a real problem, often because they know someone who has it — perhaps a sister or daughter or mother. Health care providers are seeing that people who have fibromyalgia can manage their symptoms with lifestyle changes to improve their overall functioning and quality of life. And there's hope for the future.

Congratulations on being a dick, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Yeah except actual doctors don't believe any of that politically correct nonsense. They all think Fibromyalgia is bullshit. Talk to one of them candidly off the record. Only a few quacks actually either think it's real or use it to screw patients. Fibromyalgia is the new Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Get your wife the psychiatric help she needs for her depression and stop buying into bullshit.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Game_Whino posted:

Lol, I got some morgellons on my dick I gave your wife too.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Game_Whino posted:

cool it says absolutely nothing at all

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
I wonder how it feels to be teenage First Nations child in that school. Like you're obviously not learning anything, it's highly likely your parents are drug addicts. The First Nations people who actually have money are greedy, ignorant people themselves and lobby to make things worse. (Like most people with money) and you can smell the disdain teachers have for you so heavily you can almost taste it. Most of these teachers start out nice and patient and over time you see their contempt for how lazy and helpless you are or will inevitably become.

If i were in a situation like that i would remain as ignorant as possible. What a lovely life.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

:20bux: Can't wait to wring your baby like a wet hand towel :20bux:

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Wrestling with attractive women all day long looks like a fun job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQfT9C5Adc

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

circ dick soleil posted:

Do some research on why chiropracting a baby is a bad idea and print it out and show it to her. Also do some research on the chiropractor and show her that too.

This has been established by medical professionals as having the exact opposite effect of what you are expecting. Showing these people results that are documented and peer-reviewed proves their point (in their mind) that big pharma and the medical establishment want to deny people effective alternative medicine.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress it dude, natural selection

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
How am i supposed to trust my doctor if all peer reviewed studies and the scientific method is imperialist lies

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tsinava posted:

How am i supposed to trust my doctor if all peer reviewed studies and the scientific method is imperialist lies

It's like showing a 9/11 truther an analysis report on the structural integrity of steel at high temperatures published in 1989 by Krupp steel.

"It's proof that the government had 9/11 planned well in advance! They published this garbage to cover their tracks, and the Germans are in on it as well! NWO man!"

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Blistex posted:

This has been established by medical professionals as having the exact opposite effect of what you are expecting. Showing these people results that are documented and peer-reviewed proves their point (in their mind) that big pharma and the medical establishment want to deny people effective alternative medicine.

That's when you call CPS.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Game_Whino posted:

"In your head" shouldn't really mean the person isn't experiencing what they say they are experiencing. A better explanation would dismiss that dichotomy, not build an argument around it. Addiction is also in a persons head (after the immediate withdrawal symptoms subside)it doesn't mean the person isn't experiencing a real issue. What you also find with addicts, specifically ones with opiate addictions, is back pain with no apparent physiological cause. No doubt most are experiencing it, but it also doesn't mean the person needs to start getting physical therapy and/or pain killers.

I'm not doubting your wife's symptoms, but its a far reach from being proof that a specific condition called fibromyalgia is a useful diagnosis.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Give me your friends name and I'll call the police for you.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Professor Tomtom posted:

Give me your friends name and I'll call the police for you.

I am a cop IRL and will help out if you need someone to shoot wildly in a panicked moment.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Game_Whino posted:

bored womens' disease

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV2inLzeoy8

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Bolek posted:

What you also find with addicts, specifically ones with opiate addictions, is back pain with no apparent physiological cause.

I guess that explains dad.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010

Game_Whino posted:

Doctors make money on treatment. There is an incentive to think it is a real thing.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Wrestling with attractive women all day long looks like a fun job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQfT9C5Adc

The certificates on his wall are some scientology bullshit lol

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

City of Tampa posted:

The certificates on his wall are some scientology bullshit lol

One is a certificate for achieving the state of being clear and another commemorates his achievement of reaching operating thetan level 1 (which costs about $3000 total to achieve and can be done solo).

There's others but I can't make them out.

*edit* oooo also operating thetan level 3, we have someone who passed through the wall of fire! This is the level where they introduce the concept of Lord Xenu and the exile of unwanted galactic souls to planet earth as the source of current trauma and pathology

Serrath fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 26, 2015

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Serrath posted:

One is a certificate for achieving the state of being clear and another commemorates his achievement of reaching operating thetan level 1 (which costs about $3000 total to achieve and can be done solo).

*edit* oooo also operating thetan level 3, we have someone who passed through the wall of fire! This is the level where they introduce the concept of Lord Xenu and the exile of unwanted galactic souls to planet earth as the source of current trauma and pathology

What level are you "dr"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Serrath posted:

Because no one can print out fake certs, nope.

• Locked thread