Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I've been having fun with throwing macaroni into the instant pot and receiving profuse praise for like five minutes of work rather than swearing when my roux + oven bake leaves the sink overflowing after an hour.

Add stock, pasta, seasonings, and butter into instant pot, then set for 4-5 minutes. Pop top, add cheese with half and half plus more seasonings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's how I do it and frankly if there is better mac and cheese out there I don't need to be exposed to it.

The recipe I use - https://thesaltymarshmallow.com/instant-pot-mac-and-cheese/

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I make chicken/turkey stock in the pressure cooker/instant pot just to get the max out of the bones and scraps. Then I reduce it on the stove. How much water do I actually need? I feel like I always use more water than necessary and then I have to reduce more which is annoying.

When I open the thing all the solids have become smaller and more compact and there's plenty of liquid. I wish I could be more exact about it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Enough to just cover the bones usualy?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I'm packing that thing really full. So I probably do like an 80% or 90% water level if 100% is the bones at the top.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
In that case you'll need to fill it to 110%.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
For steam venting, I saw an awesome little silicone dragon that sits on the vent, shoots it sideways...(didn't buy it, though) But I just toss my silicone stretchy bowl cover over it, as I have pretty nice wood cabinets and worry about damaging them. It's loose, and lets the air out and collects liquids.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Arkhamina posted:

For steam venting, I saw an awesome little silicone dragon that sits on the vent, shoots it sideways...(didn't buy it, though) But I just toss my silicone stretchy bowl cover over it, as I have pretty nice wood cabinets and worry about damaging them. It's loose, and lets the air out and collects liquids.

just put a towel over it

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

I just use a wooden spoon.

On the topic of making daal and curries once you translate whistles into time there's a whole world of amazing ones you can make. I don't have an instant pot, just a pressure cooker, but I assume you can translate them in the same way.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Just got half a lamb and super looking forward to cooking a shoulder for an hour in vegie stock before blasting it in the air fryer to crisp up a pseudo sear. I'm 50% certain it'll come out just as good as a 5hr slow roast.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I used to just throw a tea towel (folded a few times) over the valve and that worked well enough to scatter the steam and blunt the noise.

My new(ish) 8qt IP has a built-in baffle, which works surprisingly well. Big fan of that change.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

How's that even possible.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If the instant pot recipes have more liquid (like soup) or more fat (like pulled pork) or more fiber than he’s used to eating.

But also his definition of diarrhea is using the bathroom “within hours of eating,” which means the questions are really about how he functions the rest of the time

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I found a nice-looking stovetop pressure cooker (i.e. a thick-walled pot with a lid that seals closed) at a thrift shop and I've been meaning to try it out. After I pressure test it - I'm going to boil water in it on the camp stove in the back yard, and if steam comes out of the vent in the usual way I'll consider it to have passed - I'd like to start cooking with it. Years ago, I had a similar but much older pressure cooker handed down from family when I moved out. It had a kind of trivet thing inside that I always, always used, and this one I found at the thrift shop does not have that. I can buy a round stainless steel trivet on Amazon for very little money, but my question is: is it necessary to have something that keeps the food (say, potatoes to mash) off of the bottom of the pot, or can I cook without the trivet inside? I guess the risk is that things would burn and stick to the bottom.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You don't need a trivet. If you have an electric stove you have to be careful about burning stuff on the bottom but it works the same way as a normal pot. There are no special considerations for pressure cookers, except that you can't see inside so you have to use your intuition to let you know if anything is going to burn.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If you want to see what's going on in there just pop the lid off do not do this see thread title for details.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Can Kenji’s three ingredient Mac and cheese be in in the instant pot?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

Can Kenji’s three ingredient Mac and cheese be in in the instant pot?

https://www.seriouseats.com/ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe

Yeah, I'd guess the sauté setting would put out enough heat to boil that much water easily

e: though it might not go low enough to prevent sticking or scorching once you add the milk and cheese. I suppose you could just set it to warm or turn it off completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I made the recipe that Internet Explorer posted further up this very page on Thanksgiving. I did change up the cheeses a bit by subbing in some Gouda. 5/5 easiest drat turkey day side dish ever.